Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

I'm not worried that signing Barnes whilst we have ASM means we aren't going to strengthen at the back. We'll just be doing the deals in the order that they become available/come to fruition.

I'm sure we're working on multiple defensive targets too, it's just that Barnes has come to the surface first.

How many teams around us have went on a spending spree anyway? In the league full stop? Man Utd have got Mount and that’s it, Chelsea are too busy selling 3/4 of their team, Arsenal seem like they’re so hung up on Rice that they haven’t started addressing everywhere else. Spurs have brought a couple in but they had to considering they had such a poor season last year. Liverpool have bought a couple but again, they still feel like a team in transition and it’ll take a few windows for them to get back to their best. Even Villa, who are apparently going to now be unbeatable, have only brought in two players, one of which was a free agent.

Im sure in an ideal world, Howe would have them all in by the US tour but that’s not how it works 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’m not bothered that other clubs are signing good players but it is a little annoying that a few of them are players we’ve been linked with across several windows. I’ve got nothing against Harvey Barnes but Diaby is a class above, isn’t he?

I imagine the "no dickheads" policy comes into play with these decisions sometimes. Barnes is probably cheaper, has proved he can play in the PL, won't need to acclimatise to the move, will fit in will with the squad and has similar goal stats to Diaby. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I imagine the "no dickheads" policy comes into play with these decisions sometimes. Barnes is probably cheaper, has proved he can play in the PL, won't need to acclimatise to the move, will fit in will with the squad and has similar goal stats to Diaby. 

If only we could rid ourselves of the dickheads on Twitter who seem to know who we are in for, what we have been quoted for players and who we should be buying. I go on there to look at some of the more credible accounts but within 60 seconds, I find the anger inside me as another arsehole denigrates the current squad and wants the transfer fairy to beat everyone to their target. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

yeah, could be just agent talk. I’m sure the club will have a list of targets, but it feels like the links with with Madison and Diaby were genuine because they occurred over several windows. Szobzolai I’m not sure - could well have been his agent trying to manufacture  a bidding war.

It does make you wonder if we have missed out on our top targets because we’re not prepared to have our pants pulled down, or if FFP is really constraining us. Or if the club was always working on different targets and word just hasn’t got out to the chicken tonight merchant 

I think it's a little from column A and a little from column B. 

One thing is definitely clear, we won't engage in a bidding war. We have our valuation and won't be moved from it. That valuation will 100% be informed by our FFP envelope. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

That's disappointing. He looks a real talent and I didn't think I'd have to start hating him so soon.

Unless Diaby is their first choice and Hope got his wires crossed. On the other hand that would be some double signing. A front three of Watkins, Diaby and Johnson would be tasty. 

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Lots of fuckin FIFA/FM ninnies on the bird app filling their nappies in mid July :lol: 

We could often accurately predict what would happen in a window under Ashley and penfold. It’s different now, we absolutely don’t know more than Ashworth, Eddie and their backroom

teams. I’ve just read some foetus saying “OMG I CANT BELEIVE WE’LL BE HEARING THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE MUSIC WITH ALMIRON AND BURN STOOD IN THE LINE UP” its just such a crock of shit….no one outside of the NUFC training ground knows what’s going on. If I had to guess there’s something about Diaby that doesn’t suit top clubs’ approach to the game ie pressing ability. Fully intend to enjoy what’s left of the summer and then enjoy the season, it’s going to be fuckin great 😎

yeah, as soon as any doubt creeps into my mind i just check myself and remember where we were 18 months ago, and how far we've come. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Must admit Im pretty chilled for next season. Think it will be a little bit of a backward step with all the games and overall squad quality, followed by another leap forward the season after. Slowly and gradually getting rid of the dross, a few first team signings and real quality in the under 21 department. Nothing but good times ahead.

yeah, this is where i'm at. no sweat if we miss out on champions league football next season, if we have a european adventure this season and another good cup run. it's a marathon not a sprint. we'll get there eventually and might have to go backwards a little before we go forwards given how much we overachieved next season. 

all that being said, i wont be at all surprised if this lot drop £60m+ on some starlet we had no idea we were in for towards the end of the window as they did with isak last summer. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Lots of fuckin FIFA/FM ninnies on the bird app filling their nappies in mid July :lol: 

We could often accurately predict what would happen in a window under Ashley and penfold. It’s different now, we absolutely don’t know more than Ashworth, Eddie and their backroom

teams. I’ve just read some foetus saying “OMG I CANT BELEIVE WE’LL BE HEARING THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE MUSIC WITH ALMIRON AND BURN STOOD IN THE LINE UP” its just such a crock of shit….no one outside of the NUFC training ground knows what’s going on. If I had to guess there’s something about Diaby that doesn’t suit top clubs’ approach to the game ie pressing ability. Fully intend to enjoy what’s left of the summer and then enjoy the season, it’s going to be fuckin great 😎

Do these fuckers not realise the takeover happened 21 months ago? We're way ahead of schedule, 2-4 seasons ahead of where we likely planned to be. I'm sure they were anticipating a season or two competing in the Europa, maybe a season where we challenge for the top 4.  Instead we spent 21/38 game weeks in the top 4. Sure, we were benefiting from other clubs having, by their estimations, poor seasons, coupled with our own rapid improvement. But I don't think anyone was expecting Newcastle to leap from bottom half obscurity to Champions League favourites within such a short span of time. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Liverpool after Caciedo apparenly.  Thought they couldn't compete with the spending power of us?

They're a poor impoverished club, battling against the odds to compete with big spending rivals scraping by on - checks notes- € 986,600,000.00 in his Klopp's 8 seasons, on top of €1bn spent since the inception of the Premier League. Also bear in mind, this is nigh on €2bn spent on top of a team that was challenging for the title 18 of the previous 20 seasons and  last finished outside the top 8 in 1962.

Poor lambs.

Edited by The Fish
  • Like 3

Just checked and in the same time period, big spending Man City have spent €2.5bn since 1992. €500m to not only catch a consistently high spending opposition, but overtake them from a position of yoyoing obscurity.

Edited by The Fish
  • Like 4

Renan Lodi, about whom it was said we were very interested last summer (for around €30M that Atlético was asking for) has just arrived at O Marseille for €13M.

A dodged bullet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Diego21 said:

Renan Lodi, about whom it was said we were very interested last summer (for around €30M that Atlético was asking for) has just arrived at O Marseille for €13M.

A dodged bullet.

Did alright for Forest last year. Took him a while to warm up though.

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Did alright for Forest last year. Took him a while to warm up though.

Passing and creation stats are terrible. Defensive stats are all right.

• Like 1

The Evening Standard are reporting that Chalobah has an agreement with Chelsea that he can leave for the right offer. Poch has about six players who can play centre half and only wants four. At this stage I just wants us to buy him for the banter on here more than anything 😂

20 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

The Evening Standard are reporting that Chalobah has an agreement with Chelsea that he can leave for the right offer. Poch has about six players who can play centre half and only wants four. At this stage I just wants us to buy him for the banter on here more than anything 😂

banter?

He looks like a fucking spaniel and plays like one.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

banter?

He looks like a fucking spaniel and plays like one.

How does a spaniel play? 5/10 for banter on the evidence of that, and that's me being generous. 

• Haha 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2024-25 season