Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

Don't be so sure, Robin Robin could run me close, but I'm not exactly sure how hobbit-years work

He’s just celebrated his eleventy-first birthday 👍🏻

• Haha 8

Keith Downie has told GiveMeSport that he thinks it's a possibility that ASM will leave this month and we'll use the proceeds from that to help strengthen. Now of course that could be seen as a very general almost unfalsifiable statement, but Downie doesn't usually trade in empty gossip and innuendo. If he says something there's usually something behind it. I imagine it will come down to whether we can find an interested party with the right amount of money. Obviously anyone with sense can see the potential ASM has with his dribbling skills but I don't think he's ever going to do what Howe wants of him in terms of pressing, and he's also wildly inconsistent and lacking a true football brain that tells him when it's best to pass or retain the ball. If we can get 35-40 million for him I say we flog him as long as we have somebody lined up. I'm sure Chelsea will find some money down their back sofa for another forward. 

Edited by Polarboy

7 hours ago, Toonpack said:

Don't be so sure, Robin Robin could run me close, but I'm not exactly sure how hobbit-years work

6 hours ago, Alex said:

He’s just celebrated his eleventy-first birthday 👍🏻

hobbit middle finger GIF

I may be old, but not as old as TP 

tongue.jpg.bff14636225ac6f20318e23f7b877a33.jpg

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Polarboy said:

Keith Downie has told GiveMeSport that he thinks it's a possibility that ASM will leave this month and we'll use the proceeds from that to help strengthen. Now of course that could be seen as a very general almost unfalsifiable statement, but Downie doesn't usually trade in empty gossip and innuendo. If he says something there's usually something behind it. I imagine it will come down to whether we can find an interested party with the right amount of money. Obviously anyone with sense can see the potential ASM has with his dribbling skills but I don't think he's ever going to do what Howe wants of him in terms of pressing, and he's also wildly inconsistent and lacking a true football brain that tells him when it's best to pass or retain the ball. If we can get 35-40 million for him I say we flog him as long as we have somebody lined up. I'm sure Chelsea will find some money down their back sofa for another forward. 

I would be surprised if he left this month. But if we had a replacement in line it wouldn't bother me either. 

• Like 1

I don't think he fits in the team but would be a good weapon off the bench.

Agree with the football brain comment. Every fibre of his brain wants to try to take someone on when he get the ball but Eddies voice in his head "Pass it Maxi, Pass it Maxi" then makes him think and  If anything clouds his judgment.  

He is better off at shite team where he can be the star man and get them enough points to stop them from getting relegated.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

ASM does look like he's passing more.  Which is decent.  The issue I assume Howe has with him, is his lack of tracking back and him acting a fucking fanny.

his work off the ball was impressive against Fulham. He was obviously trying to impress Howe. But at times he was chasing the ball down wherever it went like a headless chicken. He needs to learn when to press, when to drop back and when to hold shape. That’ll come if he gets a run of games  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

ASM does look like he's passing more.  Which is decent.  The issue I assume Howe has with him, is his lack of tracking back and him acting a fucking fanny.

He's barely played man, how can you dig him out for that when the majority of his appearances have been later on, off the bench.

I trust Howe to either work out a way to incorporate Saint-Maximin's undoubted skill into the side, or to replace him.  In a lot of ways he's already been replaced, no one player is as impactful as ASM, but we've made it up in the aggregate. However, I honestly think that with a proper DM, we could field ASM to great effect.

• Like 3

There was one moment mind when he went down and stayed down. I wish he’d pack it in and so do his teammates by the looks of it because they kept on playing rather than putting the ball out of play 

• Like 2

Given his time out and lack of opportunity lately, I thought he did very well when he came on. Sent some lovely balls into the box and nearly scored the sort of goal no one else does in our team.

I could understand both sides of the argument for and against his inclusion, but still it’s a bit of a shame if there is no room for a player of his style.

Im also not sure there are many players around who combine his trickery, goal scoring ability and pace with a “Miggy” like ability to track back.

I think more and more as the season goes on, we are going to need his skill set to break teams down.

Almiron used to go down like an extra from Platoon several times a game. That's pretty much vanished from his game now.  I agree, ASM injuries and time out we haven't see what work Howe etc have done with him.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Given his time out and lack of opportunity lately, I thought he did very well when he came on. Sent some lovely balls into the box and nearly scored the sort of goal no one else does in our team.

If you're talking about the one where he shot from the edge of the box and it sailed narrowly past the post it was almost identical to the goal Willock scored against Chelsea.

I actually think Maxi was impressive against Fulham and really made a difference when he came on. I hope he stays because I'm still hopeful that he can develop and become a super valuable and importantly unique asset to the squad. 

Edited by toonotl
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, toonotl said:

I actually think Maxi was impressive against Fulham and really made a difference when he came on. I hope he stays because I'm still hopeful that he can develop and become a super valuable and importantly unique asset to the squad. 

if he does go ,i'll always be left wondering what might have been. he has all the ability in the world. he just needs to buy into howe's way of playing. look how much howe has improved joelinton, longstaff, krafth, schar and miggy. asm could be massive for us if he learns how to play in the system. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

if he does go ,i'll always be left wondering what might have been. he has all the ability in the world. he just needs to buy into howe's way of playing. look how much howe has improved joelinton, longstaff, krafth, schar and miggy. asm could be massive for us if he learns how to play in the system. 

But he’s never going to track back and go in for tackles. Just not that type of player.

2 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

But he’s never going to track back and go in for tackles. Just not that type of player.

he doesn't have to learn how to tackle. he does need to learn when to press, when to fall back into shape andf those things can be coached. it's up to him. if he wants to be a top player he has to learn how to play the way most of the top teams play. hopefully the penny drops. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

But he could be because that's not a question of ability it's simply a question of mentality/desire.

• Like 1

He’s not good enough and doesn’t have enough end product to be allowed to do what he wants. I don’t have an agenda against him and I think he’s wonderfully talented and entertaining on his day. But if he can’t get with the programme he’ll be off come the summer, or earlier 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Almiron used to go down like an extra from Platoon several times a game. That's pretty much vanished from his game now.  I agree, ASM injuries and time out we haven't see what work Howe etc have done with him.

war platoon GIF

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Let's be honest. If he hasn't bought into Howe's ways now.  He never will.

he's been unlucky this season with injuries though. i've seen some signs that he wants to try to buy into howe's ideas in the limited game time he has had

• Like 4

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2024-25 season