Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

14 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I can’t see us having much chance of signing Maddison in January. He’s too important to Leicester to let him go. The only way they sell him is if he kicks up a fuss and demands to leave. Even if we make a huge offer they then have to spend that money in a difficult window with everyone knowing they have cash to burn.

The only thing that gives me any hope is this return of his ‘knee injury’ that kept him out prior to the WC but has suddenly come back despite him being fit to be on the bench for England’s last three games.

I think it depends how perilous a position they feel they’re in relegation wise, they apparently are in some financial distress and iirc are already losing Tielemans in summer due to contract running out - this could be the last chance to properly cash in on Maddison since his deal runs out summer 2024 and he’s refusing a new one. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Players like Álvarez are the exception. Regardless of the loan back option I’ve no idea how you got him so cheap.

Edit: Obviously we can add the likes of Trippier and Bruno to the list of exceptions so there are deals to be done but our recruitment is going to be much more targeted now than in previous windows.

I think this window might just be a bit different.

If Eddie thinks 1 or 2 signings now could secure top 4, then that in turn would make summers window so much “easier” being able to offer CL football.

Thats the gamble that they must be weighing up imo.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LondonBlue said:

looking on your board to try and find a chat about title ambitions this year and i saw this line.  it resonated with me having gone through much of the same stuff.

it's so hard replacing loved players. but its a constant thing that has to be done. eventually you get to the point that you can't even agree who should start due to the quality of the squad. ie this player must start buuut so must that one.

Regarding the title race, I think everyone on here would have been delighted to tick off relegation as an issue and then maybe 7th or 8th.

Our current position, style of play and the different area that the goals are coming from has definitely raised my hopes of staying in the top four, as mad as that actually is to type :lol: 

As for the title, that would just be too far fetched, wouldn’t it ;) 

• Like 1

Before the season most of us would have taken 8th. From this position anything below 6th would be disappointing as it would mean we implode in the second half of the season.

Top 4 is very much on. We’ve played pretty much everyone other than Arsenal. Man City and their freak centre forward is the only team to fear on what we’ve seen so far. There just aren’t that many other top teams to worry about. Spurs? Man U? Meh. Chelsea? Meh. Liverpool? Hell no.

It’s very much in our hands. I can’t wait until Liverpool come to sjp because I think we’ll do them and take revenge for being cheated at anfield.

As for the title, it probably is beyond us this season but I agree with the manager.  I’m going to enjoy being in the title race until we’re mathematically out of it. We’re paying brilliantly and are in second place on Boxing Day - of course we’re in the fucking race! 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, strawb said:

Despite everyone being in great form, they are all replaceable by better players imo. Longstaff, almiron, asm, willock, burn, fab, even joelinton.

There is a point when these players become the squad players to better players, or leave.

If we hark back to the days of "purple players", who are we talking about in the current squad?

Pope

Botman

Trippier

Bruno

Isak

Almiron, Schar and Joelinton may be playing themselves into that bracket. Wilson would be in there too if he could string 10 games together.

Squad wise, Dan Burn is a great utility player at LB/CB. We probably won't find a better 2nd choice GK than Darlow, 3rd choice CF than Wood or 2nd choice LB than Targett. Elliot Anderson has shown promise too. 

Willock and ASM flatter to deceive for me and are the 2 spots in the starting XI up for grabs.

Fraser, Lascelles, Krafth, Dummet, Longstaff, Murphy, Lewis, Manquillo and Shelvey should all be moved on so they can be replaced by promising youngsters or new purples for the first team (easier said then done when they are all on decent contracts) 

Edited by Kid Dynamite
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

If we hark back to the days of "purple players", who are we talking about in the current squad?

Pope

Botman

Trippier

Bruno

Isak

Almiron, Schar and Joelinton may be playing themselves into that bracket. Wilson would be in there too if he could string 10 games together.

Squad wise, Dan Burn is a great utility player at LB/CB. We probably won't find a better 2nd choice GK than Darlow, 3rd choice CF than Wood or 2nd choice LB than Targett. Elliot Anderson has shown promise too. 

Willock and ASM flatter to deceive for me and are the 2 spots in the starting XI up for grabs.

Fraser, Lascelles, Krafth, Dummet, Longstaff, Murphy, Lewis, Manquillo and Shelvey should all be moved on so they can be replaced by promising youngsters or new purples for the first team (easier said then done when they are all on decent contracts) 

I think you're being a bit generous to Darlow, mind. He certainly isn't horrendous and on on his day very good but he's a howler in him and I'm never totally confident when he plays. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Are any second choice GKs top notch though?  They'd be playing in week-in, week-out if they were. Im happy with Darlow as number 2. Plus we haven't seen him enough on the pitch since Howe came in so his game will naturally go up 25%.

Fair enough, he'll be playing behind a far more settled back four but if we're going places you ideally want genuine quality in the same position for competition as much as cover. 

36 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I think you're being a bit generous to Darlow, mind. He certainly isn't horrendous and on on his day very good but he's a howler in him and I'm never totally confident when he plays. 

Dubravka instead then :lol: 

9 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Dubravka instead then :lol: 

Yet Dubravka was number one in front of Darlow most times. I'm not slaughtering either tbf I just think we could have a better options in the future?

49 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Nick Pope must be looking back wondering how he ended up spending six years playing for shite Burnley sides when he clearly should have been starting for a top six team.

He's been amazing for us. So many games where he barely has a save to make and yet when he's called upon, his concentration levels don't appear to have dropped at all. He definitely could have played for a top club earlier.

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Before the season most of us would have taken 8th. From this position anything below 6th would be disappointing as it would mean we implode in the second half of the season.

Top 4 is very much on. We’ve played pretty much everyone other than Arsenal. Man City and their freak centre forward is the only team to fear on what we’ve seen so far. There just aren’t that many other top teams to worry about. Spurs? Man U? Meh. Chelsea? Meh. Liverpool? Hell no.

It’s very much in our hands. I can’t wait until Liverpool come to sjp because I think we’ll do them and take revenge for being cheated at anfield.

As for the title, it probably is beyond us this season but I agree with the manager.  I’m going to enjoy being in the title race until we’re mathematically out of it. We’re paying brilliantly and are in second place on Boxing Day - of course we’re in the fucking race! 

12pts ahead of Chelsea, 8 ahead of Liverpool. 

Already taken points from MCI, MNU, CHE, TOT. Should have had a point at Anfield too.

Don't think we'll still be in the title conversation in the run-in, but top 4 is certainly doable now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

12pts ahead of Chelsea, 8 ahead of Liverpool. 

Already taken points from MCI, MNU, CHE, TOT. Should have had a point at Anfield too.

Don't think we'll still be in the title conversation in the run-in, but top 4 is certainly doable now.

Why not though? If we keep playing like this we will be

17 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Why not though? If we keep playing like this we will be

Aye, if we continue our form from the last six matches and win every game from now until the end of the season I reckon we’ll be ‘there or there abouts’.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

Aye, if we continue our form from the last six matches and win every game from now until the end of the season I reckon we’ll be ‘there or there abouts’.

It’s not just this six game run though, is it? We’ve been on a ridiculous run of form since about feb/march. It’s no fluke 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It’s not just this six game run though, is it? We’ve been on a ridiculous run of form since about feb/march. It’s no fluke 

It’s not but the current calendar year table has us fifth. We’re not winning the league. Let’s just enjoy the ride and see where we end up.

22 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It’s not but the current calendar year table has us fifth. We’re not winning the league. Let’s just enjoy the ride and see where we end up.

pretty much exactly where I’m at. I’m not ruling anything out, and I’m loving every minute.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Howay said:

Since Ashworth come in there’s been a complete shut down in terms of transfer target leaks, so in terms of that it’s a bit thin on the ground. We bid for Maddison in the summer so the focus has been on whether that interest continues and results in another bid, we’ve also had supposed interest in wingers like Moussa Diaby, and Marcus Thuram, as well as DM’s like Alvarez, and I know we scouted Enzo Fernandez but the latter is highly unlikely given the World Cup. 

I've seen Maddison being heavily linked with you. I'd also thought that Enzo would be perfect for you guys if attainable.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Regarding the title race, I think everyone on here would have been delighted to tick off relegation as an issue and then maybe 7th or 8th.

Our current position, style of play and the different area that the goals are coming from has definitely raised my hopes of staying in the top four, as mad as that actually is to type :lol: 

As for the title, that would just be too far fetched, wouldn’t it ;) 

I've always taken the view that i'm not too bothered about titles, i just wanted to be able to play man united and know that we had a chance of winning. Local bragging rights and all that. Twenty years ago it was just tonking after tonking after tonking. That dream has pretty much been achieved now to be fair. As yours re Sunderland. Although that was s much down to them as you.

I'd like us to get the champions league monkey off our backs but given the choice i'd still choose premier league every time.

12 hours ago, ewerk said:

Players like Álvarez are the exception. Regardless of the loan back option I’ve no idea how you got him so cheap.

Edit: Obviously we can add the likes of Trippier and Bruno to the list of exceptions so there are deals to be done but our recruitment is going to be much more targeted now than in previous windows.

We've a pretty well established network of clubs in the CFG (City Football Group) including south american clubs, academies and scouting network. So he'd been on our radar for quite some time. Trophies and Pep's fame also help. 

We buy and sell youth players constant;ly, so much so that they pretty much paid for Jack Grealish. But sometimes we stumble across a cracker. In one of his last games in Argentina he scored a double hat trick.

Alvarez is also the reason we were prepared to sell Jesus and to a lesser extent Sterling. So as not to block his pathway.

Supposedly we had an option on Enzo Fernandez for less than Benfica paid but felt we were too well stacked there and couldn't offer him what he needed !

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2024-25 season