Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

31 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Almiron's form is back to its baseline already, ie: no end product. Murphy, Ritchie and Joelinton on the wing is Bruceball stuff. 

We are desperate for another wide player and a replacement for Longstaff. 

Almiron was an attacking midfielder playing through the middle before he joined us, so I feel like he's still adjusting to playing in that wide role. He's still young looking also. 😉Ultimately I'd prefer a natural winger with better end product but feel like we'll miss that midfield presence more than an upgrade to Almiron, especially as Almiron grafts hard all game. Murphy definitely needs to be upgraded and playing Joelinton there is a contingency if injuries hit that only works if we have more central midfield depth.

Ritchie shouldn't get near the team in an ideal world, I hope we can move him on so he can finish his career playing before moving into a lookalikes job as Eddie.

• Like 1

Almiron’s end product isn’t good enough for where we want to be but he executes the press from the front brilliantly. He’s another one I would prefer as a good option off the bench but if we had to upgrade one position  before the window closes I would say centre midfield is a higher priority. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

The injury to Shelvey has shown how vital he was last season.  

As much as he has been a twat on numerous occasions he definitely has unique qualities. Mentally I think he was in the best position this season knowing this would be his chance to leave his mark on our project and as such he was willing to adapt his positioning to suit the team, something that he's not been known for previously. He'll still play a key role when he returns, as Howe really trusts and believes in him. By virtue of his playing style he should by rights still have a few seasons where he can play at high premier league standard so I'll be happy when he triggers his extension*.

* Until the next time he does something belligerent on-field and I swear that he should never play for us again.

• Like 2

I wonder if big Joe could fill in at “number 6” while Bruno and Shelvey are out. That would allow us to drop Longstaff and play willock and Anderson as the two “number 8s” ahead of him. Problem there is it may weaken our press which has been instrumental in our turnaround. Is Anderson ready to step into that role for 90 minutes? Dunno 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

I wonder if big Joe could fill in at “number 6” while Bruno and Shelvey are out. That would allow us to drop Longstaff and play willock and Anderson as the two “number 8s” ahead of him. Problem there is it may weaken our press which has been instrumental in our turnaround. Is Anderson ready to step into that role for 90 minutes? Dunno 

If we don't sign a central midfielder we will soon find out. I hope we sign someone but also get to see a lot more of Anderson. We know he's got good ball control and attacking instinct but I'd like to see how his pressing and defensive positioning is across a few full games.

I hope I'm wrong but Willock seems to work best in a team that counters where he can run into a lot of space, short of that he doesn't create much and isn't a good ball winner who leaves his mark on a match. I think he's best suited to coming off the bench to inject energy. He's also been nutmegged for goals in our last two games.

Looking like Chelsea don't want to loan out Gallagher, would be happy for him to stay, and would only listen to a big offer for him, with some speculating it would take north of 40m. That more or less seems to be the case for Pulisic as well. It's going to be a very interesting end to the window for us, hopefully. We've a real need of cover at right back now that we know Krafth will  likely be out for at least the majority of this season, we have Shelvey's injury obviously, and we still ideally need another attacking player. Ashworth and Howe are going to have to box very clever, unless the owners pull another Isak surprise out of the hat. 

15 minutes ago, Craig said:

Didn't see the date. Whoops! :lol:

I've been hearing some exciting news about a potential takeover.

• Haha 7

16 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Any more six week old transfer gossip you want to share?

i still wouldn't bet against him arriving. it's what happened with with isak - a link early in the window then fuck all for weeks until all of a sudden news breaks he's on his way for a medical. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Looking like Chelsea don't want to loan out Gallagher, would be happy for him to stay, and would only listen to a big offer for him, with some speculating it would take north of 40m. That more or less seems to be the case for Pulisic as well. It's going to be a very interesting end to the window for us, hopefully. We've a real need of cover at right back now that we know Krafth will  likely be out for at least the majority of this season, we have Shelvey's injury obviously, and we still ideally need another attacking player. Ashworth and Howe are going to have to box very clever, unless the owners pull another Isak surprise out of the hat. 

Absolutely ridiculous that the biggest clubs can sit on talent like that knowing that they're not going to play much, all within the limits of the financial fairplay system that they brought in to keep protecting their own interests whilst pretending to protect the small clubs who are losing their talent because they can't afford anything else.

9 minutes ago, OTF said:

Absolutely ridiculous that the biggest clubs can sit on talent like that knowing that they're not going to play much, all within the limits of the financial fairplay system that they brought in to keep protecting their own interests whilst pretending to protect the small clubs who are losing their talent because they can't afford anything else.

I'd like to criticise them, but the Chelsea model of signing the best young players and sending them on loan to foreign leagues is something we'll probably try to emulate eventually. 

9 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Or this one. Oops, same cunt.

FbVEOBdXgAI3cOI?format=jpg&name=small

i don't know how he's got the gall to continue to show his face on twitter - let alone make such confident declarations  - after what he said about paqueta and pedro. 

4 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

You need to have a range of passing to play the 6. Joelinton is a ball carrier and doesn't have the range.

Its going to be a tough game on Wed. I don't hold out much hope of a result and neither should you lads.

8 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

You need to have a range of passing to play the 6. Joelinton is a ball carrier and doesn't have the range.

Its going to be a tough game on Wed. I don't hold out much hope of a result and neither should you lads.

joelinton has a better passing range than longstaff, who is the other option in that position while bruno and shelvey are out. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

25 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i don't know how he's got the gall to continue to show his face on twitter - let alone make such confident declarations  - after what he said about paqueta and pedro. 

He’s only in it for the attention. Credibility doesn’t come into the equation 

35 minutes ago, ewerk said:

He's about as reliable as this one.

FbP8nHbWAAEH6BS?format=jpg&name=small

34 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Or this one. Oops, same cunt.

FbVEOBdXgAI3cOI?format=jpg&name=small

Those two need some fucking help!

12 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

joelinton has a better passing range than longstaff, who is the other option in that position while bruno and shelvey are out. 

Disagree with that. Longstaff isn't as bad as people are making out. He is now the weak link in our team now though but I trust Eddie knows what he is doing. If he can get him back to a level near when he broke through then we'll have a decent squad player  - on not a huge amount of money. As mentioned before he is at the 3rd choice number 6.

Liverpool was going to be extremely difficult to get anything from with a full team but now we have some key players out will be even harder. I'd take a plucky narrow defeat (to keep our peckers up)  or a lucky draw.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Disagree with that. Longstaff isn't as bad as people are making out. He is now the weak link in our team now though but I trust Eddie knows what he is doing. If he can get him back to a level near when he broke through then we'll have a decent squad player  - on not a huge amount of money. As mentioned before he is at the 3rd choice number 6.

Liverpool was going to be extremely difficult to get anything from with a full team but now we have some key players out will be even harder. I'd take a plucky narrow defeat (to keep our peckers up)  or a lucky draw.

i'd prefer to keep joelinton in his marauding, ball-carrying all action "number 8" role, but longstaff looks like the weak link in the current set up to me

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2024-25 season