Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

3 hours ago, Craig said:

If I'm truly honest, I think we've been extremely lucky at this stage of the project to capture the likes of Trippier, Bruno & Botman. The problem is, it's set a level of expectation with many in our fan base but the reality is we've attracted them to a mid-table club that's as far away from London as you can get in the PL and we've done so without the prospect of European football. 

To all the numbskulls out there this summer moaning, they instead ought to be commending the owners for getting them in rather than complaining we won't give into the extortionate demands of overly greedy players and agents. 

I'm fairly convinced we will sign more players before the window closes and it'll be frustrating if we don't, but even if that does come to be, we need to maintain some perspective. It certainly won't have been a case that we can question the effort to sign players and we do need to keep mindful of the excellent progress we have made in a relatively short space of time. 

The likes of Botman and Bruno will expect CL football and if we continue on the same trajectory, they will get it with us.

So you reckon, spending all summer window chasing after guys in the 50-60 mil bracket and us sticking to offering 40 + 5 type of deals... was them being extortionate and ashworth being clever? Cmon man 

3 hours ago, Craig said:

The best signing we made this summer year by a country mile is Dan Ashworth. 

How? No attacking players have come in this summer. He keeps lowballing other teams and near the end, we've end up with a 19 year old unproven lad (also, still not signed)

I don't understand why you're so enamored with ashworth and think he's above being criticized

• Confused 1
  • Jaysus... 5

21 minutes ago, MrBass said:

So we don't expect to hear a "I told you so" from you in the unlikely event of it happening. :cuppa:

It's not fucking Top Trumps, man! :lol:

Just now, LongTimeAdmirer said:

So you reckon, spending all summer window chasing after guys in the 50-60 mil bracket and us sticking to offering 40 + 5 type of deals... was them being extortionate and ashworth being clever? Cmon man 

How? No attacking players have come in this summer. He keeps lowballing other teams and near the end, we've end up with a 19 year old unproven lad (also, still not signed)

I don't understand why you're so enamored with ashworth and think he's above being criticized

Fuck me gently, on all aspects. 

I cannot believe people are upset. We have signed an improved keeper and a major upgrade at centre back which has longevity. The left back position is also a bonus.

Looking back to January, we signed Trippier, Burn and Bruno.

Last summer we went the full way to sign Willock. What is sad is that was actually quite a successful window all things considered.

I wish people would stop and have a think. 

We are not in the Chapions League, we are not in Europe at all. We have a cap due to FFP. We have no recent history of success and we lost out to PSG on the striker who looked set to sign. If I was a young French player, am I going to want to go to NUFC as it is now or go to PSG and learn from the calibre of player they have now? I think (some) need a bit of perspective. 

We are not at the level of Manchester City and they couldn't sign Kane. It wasn't that much more to get there man last summer but the difference wasn't right for them. I don't think us stepping back from deals due to the financial situation will or should change as we move on to higher levels of success (I think we will pay more in the future but this will match the standard of player). I want us to be sensible with our money not end up like Everton. 

• Like 7

Do clubs usually go to the bother of saying that the player has had a scan though, when they're withdrawing a player because he's about to be sold? It obviously seems very coincidental, but players do get knocks as well. 

I remain completely confident that we possibly may or may not buy Paquetta before the deadline or some other time. 

In other words I'm going to wait and see and trust those closer to the club to make decisions in the best interests of the club. 

Probably 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Athletic reached out to Pedro's agent for comment, and the response was that given the importance of the moment, they'd rather not comment. Given the difficulty we've had in securing attacking talent I'm loath to getting ahead of myself, but surely it's only a matter of days before this is wrapped up. Then we can focus all our attentions on Chelsea's cast offs. 

Edited by Polarboy

I keep seeing mentions of a marquee signing.  Cant remember where,  But if we get Pedro I cannot see us getting a marquee signing if its true about our cashflow.

Like Holden, get Pedro and Pulisic on loan and IMO thats a superb transfer window.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I keep seeing mentions of a marquee signing.  Cant remember where,  But if we get Pedro I cannot see us getting a marquee signing if its true about our cashflow.

Like Holden, get Pedro and Pulisic on loan and IMO thats a superb transfer window.

it is. and yet I want more 

i want GIF

• Haha 1

Frustrated Kermit The Frog GIF

Chicken nonce is surely taking the piss at this point. Rampant speculation and innuendo for clicks are the cornerstones of his so called journalism, and then the actual tip offs he does get are likely purely down to working for a major paper in the Telegraph, as opposed to any journalism on his part. 

Watford release official Joao Pedro update after Toon target misses out at Preston - Interesting… | NUFC Blog

Pedro's injury has mysteriously migrated from his ankle to his calf 😉 Sarr is also missing for Watford having been linked to Palace. I would have taken Sarr as I think he has a lot of potential, but obviously we're seemingly unlikely to make two permanent signings. When you consider Sarr's output for a poor Watford side and him still being relatively young, then there's perhaps not that much of a gap between someone like him and Hudson-Odoi for example, or even Pulisic. 

3 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Watford release official Joao Pedro update after Toon target misses out at Preston - Interesting… | NUFC Blog

Pedro's injury has mysteriously migrated from his ankle to his calf 😉 Sarr is also missing for Watford having been linked to Palace. I would have taken Sarr as I think he has a lot of potential, but obviously we're seemingly unlikely to make two permanent signings. When you consider Sarr's output for a poor Watford side and him still being relatively young, then there's perhaps not that much of a gap between someone like him and Hudson-Odoi for example, or even Pulisic. 

i think Pulisic is a different level to the others you mentioned. He’s had a rough time at Chelsea but I’d put him more alongside the likes of Paqueta and Maddison. i could see him making an immediate impact on the first team where Pedro might be filed more under squad player/one for the future 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2024-25 season