Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

If I'm truly honest, I think we've been extremely lucky at this stage of the project to capture the likes of Trippier, Bruno & Botman. The problem is, it's set a level of expectation with many in our fan base but the reality is we've attracted them to a mid-table club that's as far away from London as you can get in the PL and we've done so without the prospect of European football. 

To all the numbskulls out there this summer moaning, they instead ought to be commending the owners for getting them in rather than complaining we won't give into the extortionate demands of overly greedy players and agents. 

I'm fairly convinced we will sign more players before the window closes and it'll be frustrating if we don't, but even if that does come to be, we need to maintain some perspective. It certainly won't have been a case that we can question the effort to sign players and we do need to keep mindful of the excellent progress we have made in a relatively short space of time. 

The likes of Botman and Bruno will expect CL football and if we continue on the same trajectory, they will get it with us.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Craig said:

If I'm truly honest, I think we've been extremely lucky at this stage of the project to capture the likes of Trippier, Bruno & Botman. The problem is, it's set a level of expectation with many in our fan base but the reality is we've attracted them to a mid-table club that's as far away from London as you can get in the PL and we've done so without the prospect of European football. 

To all the numbskulls out there this summer moaning, they instead ought to be commending the owners for getting them in rather than complaining we won't give into the extortionate demands of overly greedy players and agents. 

I'm fairly convinced we will sign more players before the window closes and it'll be frustrating if we don't, but even if that does come to be, we need to maintain some perspective. It certainly won't have been a case that we can question the effort to sign players and we do need to keep mindful of the excellent progress we have made in a relatively short space of time. 

The likes of Botman and Bruno will expect CL football and if we continue on the same trajectory, they will get it with us.

And

ineedthisforreactions GIF

• Like 1

Add to that we have got Ashworth and Eales.  Plus some bairns and IIRC a couple of coaching / U18s coaches.  

The owners are still in the very early stages of what is going to be a long term project.  It's going to be a great ride.

Just now, wykikitoon said:

Add to that we have got Ashworth and Eales.  Plus some bairns and IIRC a couple of coaching / U18s coaches.  

The owners are still in the very early stages of what is going to be a long term project.  It's going to be a great ride.

The best signing we made this summer year by a country mile is Dan Ashworth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig said:

There's 3 key drivers for why decent players will want to join a particular club

• Wages
  • To play in a specific competition (i.e. champions league)
  • To play their part in building a project

We've made it clear, and rightly so that we're not going to pay over the odds for any mercenaries which rules out the first point. I think it's probably the reason why we (and West Ham for that matter) walked away from signing Lingard. 

We're not currently in a position to offer the second point, which leaves us with the third. And the players that fall into that bracket are somewhat niche. They're basically committing themselves to a project for the medium to long term which means they're less likely to be there to reap the benefits of it. Look at Trippier for instance - soon to be 32. If we do get to the levels we aspire to then he's not likely to be still playing for us when we do. Takes a very selfless individual to commit to that endeavour. 

There'll be plenty of players 'tripping over themselves to join the club', but these are neither the type of players we want, nor need.

Agree mostly with that but I wouldn't say we are looking for selfless individuals. Theyll come for the right package. If they're older professionals like Trips it'll be starting place, big payday and for him chance to raise his family not too far from the rest of his family. For Bruno and Botman it's a chance to play in the PL, top wages and potential of Europe in 12 months. We have to commit players to the project now to be able to realise those European ambitions short term as that is what raises the club profile to overseas players. 

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

Okay, and

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Craig said:

There's 3 key drivers for why decent players will want to join a particular club

• Wages
  • To play in a specific competition (i.e. champions league)
  • To play their part in building a project

We've made it clear, and rightly so that we're not going to pay over the odds for any mercenaries which rules out the first point. I think it's probably the reason why we (and West Ham for that matter) walked away from signing Lingard. 

We're not currently in a position to offer the second point, which leaves us with the third. And the players that fall into that bracket are somewhat niche. They're basically committing themselves to a project for the medium to long term which means they're less likely to be there to reap the benefits of it. Look at Trippier for instance - soon to be 32. If we do get to the levels we aspire to then he's not likely to be still playing for us when we do. Takes a very selfless individual to commit to that endeavour. 

There'll be plenty of players 'tripping over themselves to join the club', but these are neither the type of players we want, nor need.

So basically we need the football equivalent of Mother Theresa, minus the fetish for poverty and human suffering 😉👍

9 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

:lol:

How the fuck does us selling Bruno to Real Madrid help Arsenal like? 

Losing Bruno would be a massive blow mind. I think he's quite a bit better than we could have expected to get at this stage in the project, so I'm not sure how you replace him in the short term. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

:lol:

How the fuck does us selling Bruno to Real Madrid help Arsenal like? 

Losing Bruno would be a massive blow mind. I think he's quite a bit better than we could have expected to get at this stage in the project, so I'm not sure how you replace him in the short term. 

The logic from the article is that Arsenal are fortunate that they didn't buy a good player, because good players attract the interest of big clubs. It's basically the definition of a loser mentality. 

• Like 1

I still think Paqueta might be a deal that's currently in progress. Put it this way I wouldn't be too surprised to see a breaking news yellow bar on SSN on 1st September stating we've agreed to purchase him.

24 minutes ago, Craig said:

I still think Paqueta might be a deal that's currently in progress. Put it this way I wouldn't be too surprised to see a breaking news yellow bar on SSN on 1st September stating we've agreed to purchase him.

dog-doggo.gif

• Haha 6

Fucking Paqueta man :lol: 

Not been linked with him all Summer other than by Sean Casey and the like. We are arguing the toss over £5mil and trying to stagger payments for the players we are interested in, yet people think we are going to pull £40-50mil out of our arse on deadline day for Paqueta!

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Not been linked with him all Summer other than by Sean Casey and the like. We are arguing the toss over £5mil and trying to stagger payments for the players we are interested in, yet people think we are going to pull £40-50mil out of our arse on deadline day for Paqueta!

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

What, so we only sign players we're linked with now? 

We weren't linked with Nick Pope until 24hrs before he signed. 

As for 'arguing the toss over £5m' .... where officially have the club ever stated that's the case? 

I'm not saying Paqueta is DEFINITELY going to happen, I'm saying I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen. No science to back it up, just a sense. In contrast, your absolute insistence that it won't happen will look absolutely fucking stupid if it does come to pass in the next two weeks :lol:

31 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Zip it fannyface! Bruno came like a bolt out of the blue last window. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2024-25 season