Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

Not signing Botman would have been a mistake.

Don't forget as well that we thought we were gonna get Ekitike early in the window. That not happening fucked us and nobody expected the PSG move to happen. We came into the window with a plan and Botman and a keeper were very much part of that plan. You don't abandon 80% of your plan to complete 20% of it. 

I think it's far too simplistic to say with perfect hindsight that we made a mistake signing our only three signings of the window so far. 

• Like 2

Also, Ekitike not happening changed the value of the targets we're having to look at he was a raw unproven talent who could play across the front three, and it looked like we could get for about 30m. He was a rare talent which is why he went to PSG. 

When that went up in smoke we had to turn our attention to more established proven talent, and the price tag went up accordingly. 

• Like 1

I think what is hard is we are in a position where we are actually building something.

I have never experienced this apart from when Bobby Robson brought it Bellamy and Bernard etc. I think it has been so long that it doesn't quite make sense.

Even when  we have got the likes of Ben Arfa and Cabaye, these weren't to build a team going forward it was seen as relatively cheap business that could spin a potential major profit. 

• Like 1

Gallagher would be a very decent signing if we're actually after him. Whether he's what we desperately need is another question, but Shelvey's injury does make him more of a priority than he would have been. He's only 22, plenty of potential, can play multiple centre mid roles, and managed 8 goals and 3 assists in a bang average Crystal Palace side with Vieira chopping and changing his position from attacking to defensive mid. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Craig said:

Totally agree. Anyone who says the business we've done isn't exceptional needs to give their heads a shake. 

Wood is the only blip across two windows so far, and even then he contributed to us staying up, so his transfer paid for itself in the end. It’s an exceptional success rate on transfers by the club since the takeover. 

The new signings have made us hard to break down but there’s no question we need more cutting edge at the business end of the field. Attacking players will follow this window, I’m sure. Whether it’s the marquee signing such as Paqueta or Maddison or a more pragmatic signing with an eye on FFP remains to be seen. It’s just good craic to be chatting about it all summer instead of wondering if we will stump up the loan fee see to sign Hamza bastard Choudhury on deadline day. 

It can’t happen overnight - we can’t sign a top player in every position that needs strengthening - but it would be underwhelming if we fail to add attacking players to those already signed this window. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

their bying chelsea lol #ftm

*they’re or even there at a stretch, but not their !! And as for bying - Christ on a bike! 🙄🤷🏼‍♂️

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

There for Gallagher or maybe Pulisic? 

Or Hudson-Odoi, or Broja. Of the four, given we'd only likely buy one and loan one given you can't loan more than one player from a club, and we likely won't pay the fees needed for two of those players, I'd take Pulisic and Broja. Broja will likely largely depend on Chelsea being successful in getting Aubameyang off Barca. 

45 minutes ago, Craig said:

Would you expect them to go there if it was about a player transfer though? Surely you'd be expecting it to be Ashworth.

Depends. If there's some sort of charm offensive taking place, then maybe you send the higher ups. It would be more strange if they'd just decided to go to the match to me. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2024-25 season