Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

19 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Tbf our successful bids for Botman and Ekitike (successful as in the club accepted it) started out with us being short of the selling club valuation. And in both instances I think the selling club ended up coming down on price. 

Isn't this just standard bartering - start off low and end up meeting somewhere between the two parties initial valuation?

The way some people go on about going in at market value they must be a salesman's dream.

Those who are saying certain members have moist pants, hypothetically speaking if the window had ended yesterday, would you be happy?

IMO, I would be happier, but would I be satisfied? I would be concerned about the Wilson situation and lack of cover there and also the lack of cover if both ASM and Miggy / Fraser got crocked. 

1 minute ago, Craig said:

Isn't this just standard bartering - start off low and end up meeting somewhere between the two parties initial valuation?

The way some people go on about going in at market value they must be a salesman's dream.

there is a benchmark for players of a certain level already set in this window though, right? If you’re Leicester and you have seen Jesus and Richarlison both go for £50-60m you’re going to want a similar fee for Maddison because he’s in that bracket of proven PL forward  

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Those who are saying certain members have moist pants, hypothetically speaking if the window had ended yesterday, would you be happy?

IMO, I would be happier, but would I be satisfied? I would be concerned about the Wilson situation and lack of cover there and also the lack of cover if both ASM and Miggy / Fraser got crocked. 

The business they’ve done so far is good but  if the window shut tomorrow I’d be concerned about going into the new season with just Wood as cover for Wilson 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it's just a dance. this one seems to have legs. could go to the wire if we continue to try to drive a hard bargain - cue increasingly moist underwear. i'd like to see us wrap it up before the forest game, even if it means we end up paying £5-10m more than we'd like to. 

Can't agree. That could mean trying/offering to pay £5-£10 million less for the next one we want down the road (maybe even this window).

• Like 1

Just now, Toonpack said:

Can't agree. That could mean trying/offering to pay £5-£10 million less for the next one we want down the road (maybe even this window).

Is he not worth £50-60m though? I’m sure we’d rather not pay that much if we don’t have to but that doesn’t seem such a ridiculous fee for a player of Maddison’s quality - particularly compared to some of the other big deals this window.

I suppose it depends on whether we’re ready to move for player like Maddison at this end of the market at our current stage of development. Maybe we’re not and we need to turn to a more realistic target such as Cornet.

I think they'll be looking at the wider picture and they'll have x amount to play with and will see how far it can go. Ashworth's not a beginner at this, he'll know what he's doing, hence my arid underwear.

He's worth more than £40m in today's market. The club knows that and the fans know that. They're going to have to pay upwards of £50m I would expect. Jesus was a bargain but Richarlison probably going rate which is a lot. 

35 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

We've signed a top 'keeper, a hugely promising CB, and an uber-reliable PL left back, plus Anderson, Almiron both look good in preseason, so I'd be excited about the January window already. 

You've been sloshing around in a full nappy since before the window opened man.  What is the worst that could happen? We'd be without Wilson for the first half of the season and play with Wood up front. We showed in the 2nd half of the season we could win without Wilson, win enough to stay out of the relegation conversation at least. Then, January comes around and he's no where near fitness? then we'll go off and sign some striker and pay over the odds for. 

We're not going down this season so, with all due respect, why are you such a little girl?

• Like 2

Just now, Chaser said:

He's worth more than £40m in today's market. The club knows that and the fans know that. They're going to have to pay upwards of £50m I would expect. Jesus was a bargain but Richarlison probably going rate which is a lot. 

Sure, but you don't start at £50m, because if you do, Leicester will demand £60m. And if we had offered £60m, it'd be £70m.

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Sure, but you don't start at £50m, because if you do, Leicester will demand £60m. And if we had offered £60m, it'd be £70m.

We should have started at £-10m

Think About It GIF by Identity

• Haha 8

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

We've signed a top 'keeper, a hugely promising CB, and an uber-reliable PL left back, plus Anderson, Almiron both look good in preseason, so I'd be excited about the January window already. 

You've been sloshing around in a full nappy since before the window opened man.  What is the worst that could happen? We'd be without Wilson for the first half of the season and play with Wood up front. We showed in the 2nd half of the season we could win without Wilson, win enough to stay out of the relegation conversation at least. Then, January comes around and he's no where near fitness? then we'll go off and sign some striker and pay over the odds for. 

We're not going down this season so, with all due respect, why are you such a little girl?

Agree with this - the detail, not the Wykiki baiting ;)

We got a perfectly reasonable midtable finish last season, we have improved considerably since then, and the plan probably isn't to qualify for Europe this time out. On that basis, it's a consolidation season and we have two senior strikers on the books already in a system that will only use one of them.

We're fine if they can't get anyone else in.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

This is Leicester's reply to the improved offer apparently 

Newcastle United have made a second bid for James Maddison but Leicester City have insisted that the attacking midfielder is not for sale once again

12 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Agree with this - the detail, not the Wykiki baiting ;)

We got a perfectly reasonable midtable finish last season, we have improved considerably since then, and the plan probably isn't to qualify for Europe this time out. On that basis, it's a consolidation season and we have two senior strikers on the books already in a system that will only use one of them.

We're fine if they can't get anyone else in.

i partially agree. we will be fine with the squad we have and are well equipped with our current manager and players to finish in mid table again and avoid another relegaton battle. 

but have the likes of botman and bruno signed for a season of consolidation? they bought into the project but they're going to want european football sooner rather than later - and to see real progression this season even if we fall short of silverware or the european places. 

i think at the very least we need a striker before the window closes. signing maddison as well as a striker would be a statement of intent, not just to other potential signings but to the rest of the PL establishment. like when keegan told fergie we're coming for you. 

Agree with Gloomy and it was muted in the young tory poddy.

Would Botman and Bruno be happy if we finish 10th this season because we failed to secure a forward or someone like Maddison?  Would we still get a decent new sponsorship after Fun88 went?  If so then other teams know we have more firepower and therefore negotiations are again going to be 'interesting' 

13 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

So according to some we are restrained by FFP but are ok to pay over the odds in Jan when it's nigh on impossible to sign a striker.

Makes sense.

It's not that we can't spunk a shit ton of money on whomever we want, it's just that it makes more sense to keep that wriggle room for when it's needed. It's not needed right now. 

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i partially agree. we will be fine with the squad we have and are well equipped with our current manager and players to finish in mid table again and avoid another relegaton battle. 

but have the likes of botman and bruno signed for a season of consolidation? they bought into the project but they're going to want european football sooner rather than later - and to see real progression this season even if we fall short of silverware or the european places. 

i think at the very least we need a striker before the window closes. signing maddison as well as a striker would be a statement of intent, not just to other potential signings but to the rest of the PL establishment. like when keegan told fergie we're coming for you. 

Yeah I'd love to see a striker come in. I think we could afford both. 

I don't believe for a second that if we fail in our bid for Maddison we'll shut up shop and go home. If anything, our pursuit of Maddison says we're not done, not by a long shot.

• Like 2

Just now, The Fish said:

Yeah I'd love to see a striker come in. I think we could afford both. 

I don't believe for a second that if we fail in our bid for Maddison we'll shut up shop and go home. If anything, our pursuit of Maddison says we're not done, not by a long shot.

It's a response to a hypothetical question.  If the window was shut now would you be happy.  You're answer is yes.  

26 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I have to agree with this also. 

The focus is understandably on incoming, of which we've made great strides as outlined by Dave, but we should be mindful that other business is being conducted by the club - Hayden, Woodman, Hendrick, Clark & Gayle out, Darlsey Park refit underway, Ashworth starting as Technical Director, Eales appointed as CEO.

I don't get this "if the window was to hypothetically end tomorrow...." attitude. The fact is, it's not - it's got over 4 weeks left and the club will be operating and arranging deals within those parameters. 

Deny it all you like but it is pissy-pants behaviour. You're basically shitting yourself that deals may not come off. Even if that IS the case, we're in a far better position squad wise than we were at the 2021-22 season close. 

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

We aren't allowed to debate or ask questions on a forum now? :lol: Fuck me.

We can, just not these pissy pants "What if the world was terrible and everything was awful, would you be happy then?" questions. ;) 

• Like 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2024-25 season