Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

48 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

It's hilarious you've called him Morrison twice. :lol:

If it was appropriate to do so I'd make reference to a former NUFC manager.

Douglas seems to think this loan we got will increase our spending power going forward, as opposed to have partly already been earmarked for the transfers we've done. It would be interesting to know exactly how much of that 140m we want to spend purely on transfer fees and wages. 

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

This a bit of a departure from us supposedly wanting to structure a deal. This could move pretty quick hopefully, assuming reports are correct. 

Is he ASM's replacement, or back up for Wilson?

46 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Is he ASM's replacement, or back up for Wilson?

Cover for both positions with ASM maybe switching to the right would be my guess. I can't see anyone paying the 40m that we're looking for, for ASM. Again assuming these reports are true, but they seem pretty solid given how many journalists have picked up on it. Then again Everton are said to have agreed personal terms with him, but you'd assume we could sell a more attractive future to him than Everton currently could if we do trigger his release clause. Having checked Cornet has played right wing in his time as well, so him and ASM could maybe switch pretty interchangeably. 

Edited by Polarboy

46 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

We should just trigger his release and be done with it. I get that you have to pay the fee up front to do that but we need to strengthen up front as a matter of urgency. 

Agreed. It has the added plus that we will then be a bit better stocked and perhaps perceived as a little less desperate, which could possibly help in other negotiations. 

I agree with their determination to fight for price and payment to be all on our terms but as you say the season starts soon. 

• Like 1

Newcastle in talks with Chelsea over Timo Werner loan and have edge over RB Leipzig - Mirror Online

Werner on loan and either Cornet or Maddison would be very decent. Obviously Maddison is the better player between him and Cornet, or has at least proven himself more at the PL level, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if we got Cornet given he's a very useful player. Of course Werner would need to stop fluffing so many chances, but again a loan would be a low risk way to get him. It will be very interesting to see how we line up if we get two of these three players. 

Edited by Polarboy

26 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Newcastle in talks with Chelsea over Timo Werner loan and have edge over RB Leipzig - Mirror Online

Werner on loan and either Cornet or Maddison would be very decent. Obviously Maddison is the better player between him and Cornet, or has at least proven himself more at the PL level, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if we got Cornet given he's a very useful player. Of course Werner would need to stop fluffing so many chances, but again a loan would be a low risk way to get him. It will be very interesting to see how we line up if we get two of these three players. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Burnley's response: "That's interesting. Nevertheless...that's what it is."

:lol: I really hope that bit isn’t true as I’m fairly sure Burnley paid pretty much that price for him themselves and he’s since proven he can handle the PL. 

7 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

🍆

Pole position for Werner if Chelsea let him go on loan, but it's looking tough for Maddison unless we raid the kids piggy bank. I'd be happy enough with Cornet and Werner on loan if Maddison is out of reach. There's likely going to be a very tense game of chicken played by the club in order to get the optimal players and price for said players. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2024-25 season