Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Yet he's deluded and thinks he's gonna take over from Ronaldo, Messi etc.

Haha this bit is mental! Where did you get this idea from?

But yeah, good on him. He earned the year extension. A capable understudy for Trippier and can cover centre half. Wonder where this leaves Manquillo. Will he make the 25 given Dummet signed an extension and Burn can cover left back. It’s probably him or Lewis to miss out. 

Manquillo has done well under Howe but we obviously can’t accommodate everyone so I would tend to agree. Surprised Dummett’s signed a new deal given his injury problems. I don’t think he’s that versatile either. LB or on the left of a back three are the only two places he can play. And he’s limited there even if he’s defensively sound 

• Like 3

Kraft did a great job filling in for Tripps. This is good news to have him for a solid backup now that he's found some confidence and form in the last few months of the season.

Now where are our big cheese signings? 

You could argue Krafth deserves the extra year but I'm with Alex regarding Dummett, he's not the quickest and is very injury prone. When he plays he's a very steady full back, nothing fancy keeps his position but he's been out of the picture that long how will he respond if he gets back in? Obviously Howe will see him in training and gauge it but training and friendlies isn't the same as real PL games. If I was an ambitious championship club I'd be in for him in a shot. (If fit).

I criticised the extending of Dummett's contract only to be told on here, something along the lines of 'I trust Howe and his team over some Pearson, Casey wannabe's'.  Obviously I am paraphrasing. 

Edited by wykikitoon
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I criticised the extending of Dummett's contract only to be told on here, something along the lines of 'I trust Howe and his team over some Pearson, Casey wannabe's'.  Obviously I am paraphrasing. 

there were a few of us underwhelmed by Dummet and Longstaff getting new deals. Felt like there was an element of keeping them on because they’re local lads and good for the dressing room. I was hoping for an upgrade on Longstaff and would put Dummet behind Targett, Lewis, Manquillo and possibly even Burn at left back these days 

• Like 1

Longstaff showed some great early promise though and he’s still young so that makes a different case for him. So while I tend to agree you can see the logic behind it more in his case. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Alex said:

Longstaff showed some great early promise though and he’s still young so that makes a different case for him. So while I tend to agree you can see the logic behind it more in his case. 

agreed with Longstaff. You have to trust Howe if he sees potential he can work with given how he’s improved other players. And Longstaff did look good when he first broke through under Rafa so hopefully it’s just a case of him being Bruced in the short term and he can turn it around.   

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

agreed with Longstaff. You have to trust Howe if he sees potential he can work with given how he’s improved other players. And Longstaff did look good when he first broke through under Rafa so hopefully it’s just a case of him being Bruced in the short term and he can turn it around.   

I saw a talk in with Lee Clark what seems like ages ago now but it was before Sean Longstaff had properly broken into the first team under Benitez and he was absolutely raving about him. Saying he had the ability to be a real top class midfielder. Obviously that’s just one person’s view of a young player but you have to think (especially after what’s come out since) that he had a pretty torrid time under Bruce. Did that cunt improve a single player? He was completely incapable of doing what most decent managers take pride in. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Fraser's attitude pre Howe was appalling. As tbf a lot of the player were.  He like a lot of players have responded to Howe.  ASM hasnt.  Technically ASM is miles ahead.  But in terms of work rate and working for the team it's not even comparable,

ASM has also played a lot more football and yet only has 3 more goals and 3 more asists than Fraser.  Wow, I am shocked Real or PSG aren't lining up for him.  He's one trick pony that clubs have quickly found out how to play against.  Yet he's deluded and thinks he's gonna take over from Ronaldo, Messi etc.

ASM created more chances than anyone else outside the top 6 clubs. No, he doesn't do as much defensive work as Fraser but Beresford had to pick up the slack for Ginola, Bernard for Robert, and whomever for HBA. You have to come to terms with the fact that for a club like us, you can't have someone with the attacking ability of those players, without someone doing their defensive work for them. You don't demand Target beat 3 men and curl one in the bottom corner, do you? You want him to be solid, and defensively sound, right? 

If he was the complete player, he wouldn't be here.  

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

I saw a talk in with Lee Clark what seems like ages ago now but it was before Sean Longstaff had properly broken into the first team under Benitez and he was absolutely raving about him. Saying he had the ability to be a real top class midfielder. Obviously that’s just one person’s view of a young player but you have to think (especially after what’s come out since) that he had a pretty torrid time under Bruce. Did that cunt improve a single player? He was completely incapable of doing what most decent managers take pride in. 

ASM maybe? He looked more dangerous under Bruce, mainly because the rest of the side was camped on the edge of our own box and the game plan was pretty much: give them ball to Maxi

15 minutes ago, The Fish said:

ASM created more chances than anyone else outside the top 6 clubs. No, he doesn't do as much defensive work as Fraser but Beresford had to pick up the slack for Ginola, Bernard for Robert, and whomever for HBA. You have to come to terms with the fact that for a club like us, you can't have someone with the attacking ability of those players, without someone doing their defensive work for them. You don't demand Target beat 3 men and curl one in the bottom corner, do you? You want him to be solid, and defensively sound, right? 

If he was the complete player, he wouldn't be here.  

The problem is, ASM doesn't beat 3 men and curl one in the bottom corner enough.  He goes into a blind alley, loses the ball and puts the threat back onto us.  

• Haha 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2024-25 season