Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

It’s always been clear that it will be difficult to attract top class players for various reasons. Clubs as well as players and agents try to hold us to ransom because of our alleged wealth. There must also be a view that we are desperate to sign top players to close the gap to the top teams without being able to offer European football.

I think there has to be a period of consolidation to find a solid position in the market. It’s not that we haven’t been able as well as willing to pay for the likes of Bruno and Botman. We have also inflated Etikikeriki’s market value.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

It’s always been clear that it will be difficult to attract top class players for various reasons. Clubs as well as players and agents try to hold us to ransom because of our alleged wealth. There must also be a view that we are desperate to sign top players to close the gap to the top teams without being able to offer European football.

I think there has to be a period of consolidation to find a solid position in the market. It’s not that we haven’t been able as well as willing to pay for the likes of Bruno and Botman. We have also inflated Etikikeriki’s market value.

we may not get Diaby, Paqueta or Ekitike.

the question is who will be this window’s Bruno.

we are still an attractive proposition and can pay good wages. We’ll see some exciting players arrive near the end of the window 

• Like 1

Weirdly I don't think Ekitike is completely ruled yet. PSG seem unwilling to pay what Reims want, even if there's a relatively small gap, and are being linked to a young Portuguese striker according to Romano. Of course it's probably only maybe a ten percent chance of it being resurrected.

2 hours ago, Howay said:

Mr positivity strikes again. Iirc he wrote a similar article about Botman didn’t he? Maybe he’s right, but if he is our transfer team need to start targeting players that have valuations in the range they’re willing to pay, I get working towards your number 1 targets but we should maybe start to look for a Burn style signing in our forward positions as it would be ideal to get players in for a good chunk of pre season. 

Aye, we seem to be after £60mil players with £30mil to spend and wasting weeks for the other club to blink first. Asensio might be back up option to Diaby 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

Agreed, at the moment we generally don’t have the strongest hand - as you say teams know the position we are in. We will occasionally get buy in from players like Botman and Bruno at this early stage, but many will be indifferent on the move (as it seems Diaby might be) - I’d read an interview with Botmans former manager and he said Botman panicked in January as he thought he’d miss out on his chance to join the project and was demanding to speak to the clubs president, that type of pressure from players will come in time but as you say it’ll be few and far between at the moment. 

I think for the above reason it’s entirely possible we end up signing Paqueta. It’s fair to say there’s interest on his part, we had good dealings with Lyon for Bruno so there could be the start of a relationship there in terms of mutually beneficial transfers, and I still think the Saudis will want a statement signing. If that happens I think the ball will really start rolling in terms of attracting talent - we could legitimately have the Brazilian national teams CM (well 2/3 and Joe possibly a fairly regular squad member in future as Casemiro is too good). 

Edited by Howay

It's also not helped its World Cup year.  So a young striker, or even older one will be more reluctant to move if they have a chance of representing their country.  Especially if the supply to them maybe up for question.  I.e ASM and Fraser / Miggy are what we have as our main supply from the wings.  

• Like 1

I think Harrison may end up being one of those signings who would arrive with little fanfare and end up being a good one. Maybe there’s a bit of hope in there but I’ve always thought he’s looked good when I’ve seen him and he feels like someone who Howe would get fit and raring to go. Gives us options on both sides to switch flanks and he’s more than capable of chipping in with plenty goals as well. I’ve convinced myself, bring him in

• Like 1

I also like the look of Harrison. I do wonder there's any incentive for Leeds to sell him though. As Howay mentions, they're newly minted and already down their two best players. 

Jessie Blue Jeans isn't gonna stand for too many more sales. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I also like the look of Harrison. I do wonder there's any incentive for Leeds to sell him though. As Howay mentions, they're newly minted and already down their two best players. 

Jessie Blue Jeans isn't gonna stand for too many more sales. 

tbf they have spent a decent whack, £80m or there abouts.

35 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I think Harrison may end up being one of those signings who would arrive with little fanfare and end up being a good one. Maybe there’s a bit of hope in there but I’ve always thought he’s looked good when I’ve seen him and he feels like someone who Howe would get fit and raring to go. Gives us options on both sides to switch flanks and he’s more than capable of chipping in with plenty goals as well. I’ve convinced myself, bring him in

It's all depends on the price. Anything over 30m, which it's likely to be, and I'd walk away. Leeds as people have mentioned aren't under any pressure to sell Harrison, so our negotiating hand is weak. Harrison is a good player, but in a season or two he should be a useful sub and little else. So again it all depends on the price. 

Edited by Polarboy
Type
  • Like 1

Having a look at a Leeds forum and they’d be happy with £40m for him so he’s probably worth less. The reason they may be willing to sell is that Ted Lasso doesn’t play with wingers/wide forwards so he wouldn’t fit in the system.

26 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Not a chance it’ll go as high as 30 million. Reckon it would be around 20 with add-ons and such. Hank Elevator will only need that to replace him with someone from Red Bull Dustpan

Looking at prices these days a wide player who had 16 goal involvements season before last, is English, and is young, 30m is probably what you're going to spend everything being equal. Last season where he got 8 goals and 1 assist will be seen as a write off given how poor Leeds were in general. But again given Leeds don't really need to sell they'll likely ask over the odds for him. Apart from all that, as a player he's predominantly plays on the left wing, and obviously we need someone who will make that right wing their own. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Potentially another one off the list 

falling by the wayside a bit aren't they?

a striker and right winger have been far more a priority than botman. man city and tottenham aside I'd far rather have gone in to this season with the defence we finished the last one with than go in to a new one relying on wood, almiron and fraser to get us some goals.

spend some fucking money you tight fisted saudi cunts.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, KetteringMag said:

If Maxwell Cornet has really got a £17.5m release clause then we could do worse than triggering that .

Agreed, he’s a good finisher and iirc hard worker defensively. He wasn’t great his final season at Lyon but still did more than any of our current right wingers. He’d be a threat tbf and it would be a relatively cheap player who improves the squad so we can keep pushing forward. 

Emmanuel Dennis off Watford would be a better shout in my opinion. He's available for around the same price, and I think has a bit more potential in terms of how prolific he could become. Cornet has played on the right of midfield but I think he's more comfortable on the left. I watched Dennis play wide right for a game or two for Watford, when he wasn't playing CF, and he looked very dangerous. Also as I was saying a week or so ago, the news about Sarr moving seems to have died down, but he has plenty of potential as well. I'd be pretty happy with a double deal for Dennis and Sarr off Watford if our first choice moves really are dead in the water.  

Edited by Polarboy

20 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

a striker and right winger have been far more a priority than botman. man city and tottenham aside I'd far rather have gone in to this season with the defence we finished the last one with than go in to a new one relying on wood, almiron and fraser to get us some goals.

they will. 

i think we all need to chill - and i can't believe i'm the one point this out, as bedwetter CEO :lol:

it was the same in january. a busy first week or two then a period where we struggled to do deals, before getting what we needed before the window closed. 

i expect the same to happen this summer. 

we may not get all the exciting "first choice" names we've been linked with so far but we'll be good. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

they will. 

i think we all need to chill - and i can't believe i'm the one point this out, as bedwetter CEO :lol:

it was the same in january. a busy first week or two then a period where we struggled to do deals, before getting what we needed before the window closed. 

i expect the same to happen this summer. 

we may not get all the exciting "first choice" names we've been linked with so far but we'll be good. 

:lol:

the cunts should be pissing off the mackems and the rest of the football world by lavishing all their money on us rather than upsetting tiger woods and some golf loving morons at st andrews. simple as that.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

Chris Waugh was recently saying that we're looking for someone who can play out wide and at CF in regard to Wilson's understudy. Scamacca is a pure number 9, so we're likely not even in for him. It makes senese given we're not likely to spend 40 odd million on an understudy for Wilson who can only come on to replace him, and as such mightn't get as much game time as they'd like. The profile of player we've been looking at, i.e. Ekitike, can play multiple positions across the front line.  

Edited by Polarboy

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2024-25 season