Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

7 hours ago, The Fish said:

I've shown elsewhere that FFP for the PL aren't going to slow us down much. We could theoretically spend hundreds of millions. Like you say though, it does make sense to keep some of that wiggle room available. My point is just that, Isak and Diaby are two excellent players, we could afford to get them both this window without falling foul of FFP and maintaining some wiggle room for January. However, if we hold off, there's no guarantee that they'd be available/interested in January, or next summer. And you run the risk of there not being a better alternative available at that time. 

I agree, this is kind of what I feel they’re doing with Paqueta in that they’re hoping he’s still around next summer as they have bigger need targets but if another club comes in for him I think we will bid immediately. 

I think they’re trying to cover as many needs as possible this window but want to avoid spending £50m per player to do it - which while it’s possible they can I think they just want a precedent that they’re hard negotiators, which is something that’s been remarked at by some European journalists already. I agree with you though, this is the window to spend and get as many of these players now, then we have a team that can get into Europe and once there players themselves will be more willing to pressure their reps/clubs to come and join the project and we’d have more power in negotiations. 

I can honestly see us getting two big attacking signings, I think the Saudis will want a big statement signing. While many of us see Botman as that I think we can all agree attackers make a bigger impact in that regard. 

• Like 3

Never heard of the guy who posted the tweet, but he does have over 200k followers, so I suppose that lends some credibility, however small. Perhaps Diego could enlighten us with regard to de Tomas. 

I found this Player Analysis: Raul de Tomás – Breaking The Lines Obviously it's premature in the extreme, but on the very off chance we do buy him, some might want to read it. Reading between the lines if this guy is on our list of targets, I'd imagine he's fairly far down given he'll be 28 in October, and we're trying to bring down the average age of the squad. Pretty much every other player we've been linked to in the forward areas, apart from Zapata and Asensio, have been 25 or under. By the same token he'd likely be a fair bit cheaper because of his age. I've seen figures between 20 and 30m mentioned. 

Edited by Polarboy

7 hours ago, Polarboy said:

Never heard of the guy who posted the tweet, but he does have over 200k followers, so I suppose that lends some credibility, however small. Perhaps Diego could enlighten us with regard to de Tomas. 

I found this Player Analysis: Raul de Tomás – Breaking The Lines Obviously it's premature in the extreme, but on the very off chance we do buy him, some might want to read it. Reading between the lines if this guy is on our list of targets, I'd imagine he's fairly far down given he'll be 28 in October, and we're trying to bring down the average age of the squad. Pretty much every other player we've been linked to in the forward areas, apart from Zapata and Asensio, have been 25 or under. By the same token he'd likely be a fair bit cheaper because of his age. I've seen figures between 20 and 30m mentioned. 

What's Joselu doing?

There has to be a point where we have to stump up surly?  Is this kid better than Wilson and Wood?

16 hours ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

you reckon isak is fair value at 50 mil though? seems excessive 

He's 22, he's a very good player already, didn't have a great season last time out, but apparently that was as much to do with a change in system as it was bad finishing and bad luck.

He's 6'2", quick, good with the ball at his feet, gets his shot away.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Diego21 said:

This year Isak has been tremendously bad.

But I think he has the potential to be a great player. He is very good at footwork, he is very intelligent, he has very good actions. However, I have my doubts that he can carry the weight of the goal alone. He misses a lot of very clear chances.

Instead, he is still 22 years old and he can still improve that facet.

I don't think that today he is a 50 million player. If we could get it out for 30 I would see it as more suitable.

Isak is not my favorite for us because the style, but I admit that he would not be bad, that he could play very well in pairs with Wilson, although it would raise doubts if he played alone up front (which I imagine is what Howe would look for).

Real Sociedad is a team that does not let its players go easy.

Not sure I agree there, he really suffered last season alongside Sorloth, but was much, much better before then when he was up there on his own. That said, he's still very young and is still learning his craft. If he were played as a wide forward I think you'd see a better goal return than as part of a central striking partnership. More occasions to isolate a fullback or centre back, could pick up the tap ins when the attack is down the opposite flank, more chances for a throughball (which he appears quite good at). 

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

He's 22, he's a very good player already, didn't have a great season last time out, but apparently that was as much to do with a change in system as it was bad finishing and bad luck.

He had an xG of 11.2 last season but only scored 6.

I suggest that you and your petard report immediately to the nearest hoist.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

He had an xG of 11.2 last season but only scored 6.

I suggest that you and your petard report immediately to the nearest hoist.

:lol: Yeah his number aren't great last season, but he's a good player imo and I think that many of the misses were a bit of bad luck. But he's not the finished article and if they won't budge on £50m, we should move on.

4 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

What's Joselu doing?

There has to be a point where we have to stump up surly?  Is this kid better than Wilson and Wood?

I'd happily take as good as Wilson as long as he wasn't made of glass. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

Not sure I agree there, he really suffered last season alongside Sorloth, but was much, much better before then when he was up there on his own. That said, he's still very young and is still learning his craft. If he were played as a wide forward I think you'd see a better goal return than as part of a central striking partnership. More occasions to isolate a fullback or centre back, could pick up the tap ins when the attack is down the opposite flank, more chances for a throughball (which he appears quite good at). 

🤓

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

How many of those were starts though? 

For his club:

Started: 13

Used Sub: 4

Unused Sub: 1

Minutes Played: 1109

Goals Scored: 2

13 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Are we going to get into Europe by not conceeding and scoring when Wilson is fit?

:lol: Aye, it’s why I honestly think the FFP shite Edwards harps on about isn’t true. There’s no way Ashworth paid €40m or whatever it was for a CB, which was one of our lower priority positions (perhaps lowest other than RB) if it meant our budget was blown. Even Pope tbh, we could have done fine with Schar, Burn, Dubravka compared to what we have in attack. 

• Like 4

In fairness using one of our domestic loan spots for a versatile defender who can play across the backline, is a sensible enough use of that spot. Not very exciting of course. Iirc we still have one domestic and one international loan spot left should we get Tanganga. 

it's a game of poker. they're trying not to get fleeced and are using some journos as messengers to bang the budget drum. if they don't manage to land their prefered targets within "budget" i still expect them to splash some money - probably in the region of an another $50-100m on a couple of forward players

• Like 4

i can't imagine us going into next season without a new striker and winger. whether they land their preferred choices  - or the more expensive ones - is debatable but i still expect to see at least one statement signing as well as botman. bit how we got tripper and bruno in last window.  

I'd also suggest the pools of talent we're fishing  in for strikers is significantly different to that for wingers. I mean, we can conceivably sign a £25-£50m winger who would significantly improve our team, represent better value-for-money etc. Whereas a £25m-£50m strikers are; more in demand, a bigger risk etc.

Same reason we can sign highly rated/high value defenders?

Not necessarily connected, I'm just curious, would you lot rather sign a £50m striker and loan a winger, or sign a high value winger and loan a striker?

• Like 2

Newcastle United transfer target Hugo Ekitike in limbo as Reims reject latest offer | NewcastleWorld

Would you take Ekitike if his deal to PSG collapses, and we're the only choice he has of moving? In fairness I can't see the deal going tits up for the sake of 4m Euro difference between our offer, which was supposedly accepted, and their offer. If it was just the case of the kid wanting to hold out for PSG I'd be fair enough given he reportedly supported them as a kid, but he and his agent do seem as if they're dickheads. Perhaps I'm being harsh though without more info to go on. 

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

I'd also suggest the pools of talent we're fishing  in for strikers is significantly different to that for wingers. I mean, we can conceivably sign a £25-£50m winger who would significantly improve our team, represent better value-for-money etc. Whereas a £25m-£50m strikers are; more in demand, a bigger risk etc.

Not necessarily connected, I'm just curious, would you lot rather sign a £50m striker and loan a winger, or sign a high value winger and loan a striker?

The problem with trying to loan forwards is that unless you are incredibly lucky there aren't many teams who'd be willing to loan an attacking player who's actually quality and will improve a team. Obviously if we could get Broja on loan and sign Diaby that would be ideal, but that doesn't seem like it's going to be possible. For the loan thing to even be worth it I'd imagine we'd need to pay a sizeable loan fee up front, and also include and obligation to buy. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, The Fish said:

A big signing for the right wing would be my preference. Imo we have absolutely nothing to offer in that position, I know people on Twitter get upset by this type of opinion but last season we got 5 goals and 4 assists from Fraser, Almiron, and Murphy from nearly 80 starts collectively. 

I think a right winger also stretches the field, it’ll stop this doubling and triple marking of ASM which will give him far more one v ones. 

• Like 7

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2024-25 season