Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

This year Isak has been tremendously bad.

But I think he has the potential to be a great player. He is very good at footwork, he is very intelligent, he has very good actions. However, I have my doubts that he can carry the weight of the goal alone. He misses a lot of very clear chances.

Instead, he is still 22 years old and he can still improve that facet.

I don't think that today he is a 50 million player. If we could get it out for 30 I would see it as more suitable.

Isak is not my favorite for us because the style, but I admit that he would not be bad, that he could play very well in pairs with Wilson, although it would raise doubts if he played alone up front (which I imagine is what Howe would look for).

Real Sociedad is a team that does not let its players go easy.

Edited by Diego21
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

But I think he has the potential to be a great player. He is very good at footwork, he is very intelligent, he has very good actions. However, I have my doubts that he can carry the weight of the goal alone. He misses a lot of very clear chances.

I don't think that today he is a 50 million player. If we could get it out for 30 I would see it as more suitable.

Isak is not my favorite for us because the style, but I admit that he would not be bad, that he could play very well in pairs with Wilson, although it would raise doubts if he played alone up front (which I imagine is what Howe would look for).

I've seen a few people say he can play anywhere along the front three, so perhaps he could mostly be played wide for a season or two until he matured enough in order to play centrally. Having said that I've looked at his stats and he's literally only played on the left wing once, and the same for the right. I've not seen him play for Sweden so perhaps he's played a number of positions for them. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

couldn't he cover the wide positions too, Diego? i was reading somewhere that they see him in the same mould as ekitike - young, big potential and able to cover the three forward positions - lone striker and on either flank

@Polarboy @Dr Gloom

I don't think he can play all three attacking positions.

I think he is a player who can very well drop to the wing to download the game (preferably to the left wing), but I don't see him as an attacker out there, as in his day, let's say, it could be Henry.

I can't compare him to Ekitike because I've never seen the Frenchman play.

In my opinion, the best situation for Isak would be to be a solo player up front, sending long balls and waiting for others to arrive from the second row.

That is to say, I think he is a player that we could have taken advantage of very well between 2017 and 2021, but now with Howe we may be going to play something else.

If we play Isak alone up front, he could help other players with good arrival, but surely we would need guys like Joelinton, St Maximin, Bruno, Willock or the player who is going to play on the right wing to put up a good number of goals.

It is true that Isak scored many goals in a bad team like Willem II, but the truth is that except for that year, he has not been a good finisher. If he ends up improving in that aspect, I do think he would be a very good signing even for 50M

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

How reliable is Galetti? I hear his name mentioned quite a bit, but I've never paid enough attention to gauge how full of shit or not he is. 

image.thumb.jpeg.839de2dbe80e95f5cdaf36a48355aef4.jpeg

• Haha 3

‘World-class’ Newcastle target pulls full U-turn as Klopp eyes Liverpool deal (hitc.com)

😂 Now a Spanish media outlet are saying that Asensio has done a u-turn, and supposedly after some reassurances from Ancelotti, and encouraged by the departures of Jovic and Bale, he's more confident of getting game time so wants to stay given his ambitions to make the Spain squad. The Bale and Jovic part is a bit weird given they both Barely played last season either, so maybe the story is nonsense. 

12 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Interesting. Think this could go to the start of the season? 

I would say Howe will ideally want all his business done at the lastest the 26th of July if not a bit before, given we have that run of pre-season games against Benfica, Atalanta and Athletic Bilbao. But obviously as Galetti was saying in that tweet transfers tend to happen in a domino effect, especially ones for forwards, so once somebody like Broja, DCL, Scamacca etc move, it could speed up business elsewhere. Having said all that if we are being tough in price negotiation, that could prolong negotiations until the other club starts feeling the heat and brings down their price.  

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

The yet is interesting. Or perhaps I'm reading too much into it. 

I think it’s exactly as it says. We want the player but the selling club are looking too much. Like Ekitike, if the deal isn’t right we’ll move into the next on our list. They mightn’t be as good as the one before but they have to make sense regarding value for money for the club.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

The yet is interesting. Or perhaps I'm reading too much into it. 

Real Sociedad is a tough negotiator. They normally don't sell their players below buyout clauses.

For example, they sold Diego Llorente to Leeds for around 20 million. It seems to me that he was one of the worst defenders in the Spanish First Division. They sold Odriozola to Real Madrid for a fixed 30 million plus 5 in Bonus (his termination clause was 40). They sold Yuri to PSG for 15 million and Iñigo Martinez to Bilbao for 30 million (his termination clause). And these are all fenders, which are usually cheaper.

If we go a little further back, they sold Griezmann to Atlético for 30 million (and saved 20% of a future sale) and Illarramenti to Real Madrid for 30 million. (Both had that termination clause)

I think it will be very difficult for them to negotiate for Isak for less than 50 million.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

What happened to the FFP we have got CN

:lol: Oh don’t worry he’s already made up an excuse. So now the issue isn’t current FFP constraints it’s that we will not be able to spend more in future if we spend now - of course we could get new sponsorships to help with that which we are doing now so it’s almost as if this is complete fucking bullshit. 

Edited by Howay

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

I think it’s exactly as it says. We want the player but the selling club are looking too much. Like Ekitike, if the deal isn’t right we’ll move into the next on our list. They mightn’t be as good as the one before but they have to make sense regarding value for money for the club.

Again perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but why add the yet at the end of the tweet. Saying there's no suggestion Sociedad's stance has changed would have sufficed. 

2 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Again perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but why add the yet at the end of the tweet. Saying there's no suggestion Sociedad's stance has changed would have sufficed. 

Because things often change when it comes to the crunch. I don’t think we’ll leave it that long. We’ll want our incoming business settled in advance of the window closing.

I'd take the Chuckle Brothers, one of them a as reanimated corpse, for those striker and winger positions at this stage. I really don't have the patience, even though the transfer window doesn't even close until the 1st of September 😂

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It’s just a dance 

Agreed, it’s the same way clubs say “not for sale” we are using our media contacts to come out with “we can’t pay that” type stories. A quick look at any of Kieran Maguires tweets about our spending/potential spending shows the true situation, and that’s a bloke that has learnt FFP - the chicken pumper should take note from him. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2024-25 season