Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

11 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

He has the name of a male model. 

Two male models if you only use their first names.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

The Jonathan David stuff is based on the word of Ben Jacobs. Not sure if he's much above an ITK or not, but you do hear his name mentioned quite a bit. David could be a very interesting choice given his versatility. He's largely played as a lone striker, but has played quite a bit as second striker and an attacking mid. It might take a bit of a tactical tweek and training ground work with the player, but given his supposed tactical intelligence and defensive workrate, he could possibly take up that position on the right side of our attack. He has played out wide, albeit only a little over a handful of times. To have someone who is versatile and comfortable as a lone striker could save us a lot of money if we keep Wilson and have someone like David as cover for the 9 and right wing position. It's for that reason that I thought Mbuemo was a good shout, but David might be even better. I've also read his fee would be around 25, 30 million, so considerably cheaper than Mbuemo you'd imagine, and definitely cheaper than Bowen, again assuming if that reporting is accurate. 

I don’t know much about him but he has 71 goals from 146 appearances for Lille. Could be worth a punt at that price 

They paid £25mil for him apparently, so it's not clear why they would sell him for the same price when his stock has risen. His market value is probably double that. I'd snap your hand off to have his as Wilson's replacement 

11 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

They paid £25mil for him apparently, so it's not clear why they would sell him for the same price when his stock has risen. His market value is probably double that. I'd snap your hand off to have his as Wilson's replacement 

He only has a year left on his contract.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

Looked no better than Miggy for Canada against the Argies today. Missed a sitter and his passing was average.

Has age on his side and Eddie would like his athletism but will need to work a lot harder to make first 11.

Edited by sammynb
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Looked no better than Miggy for Canada against the Argies today. Missed a sitter and his passing was average.

Has age on his side and Eddie would like his athletism but will need to work a lot harder to make first 11.

Load of twatters wanking over him. I've seen nothing of him so your review gives me loads of confidence 🙄

• Haha 1

I think it's possibly unfair to judge a player on one game, when he's playing for Canada who are ranked 48, against the number 1 ranked team in the world. Even professional football scouts watch a player far more than once. He's been prolific in his career in France. Would he make the jump to the PL? I don't know, but that judgement will be down to Howe, Mitchell etc. who actually know what they're talking about. Of course with so many teams looking for a striker, and with David's fee seemingly being more than reasonable, it's going to be a battle to sign him if we do hold legitimate interest. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

He's also a striker, not a RW, so the Miggy comparison is moot

Joelinton was a striker. 

See Ya Do Not Want GIF by reactionseditor

Edited by The Fish
  • Haha 7

24 years of age… tbh I can’t think that I’ve seen him play (did he play for Canada in the World Cup?) but this sounds like the sort of signing that we’d make ie he’d help us get top 4 but perhaps not one to properly bridge the gap to Arsenal or Liverpool . We definitely need more backup for Isak.…scored the winner at PSG last season when Lille finished 4th…so there’s maybe something in it rather than him telling his agent to start agitating for a PL move..it is possibly both tbf :cuppa: 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

24 years of age… tbh I can’t think that I’ve seen him play (did he play for Canada in the World Cup?) but this sounds like the sort of signing that we’d make ie he’d help us get top 4 but perhaps not one to properly bridge the gap to Arsenal or Liverpool . We definitely need more backup for Isak.…scored the winner at PSG last season when Lille finished 4th…so there’s maybe something in it rather than him telling his agent to start agitating for a PL move..it is possibly both tbf :cuppa: 

he sounds like he might be a good secnd/third striker option for when wilson inevitably picks up an injury. we're not in the market for a world class centre forward - we have isak. we need a decent younger striker who doesn't mind being a rotation option. 

• Like 2

(if wilson goes, i'd like this kid plus another. we showed last season that two strikers isn't enough cover - it's a squad game now) 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

In the dictionary under “Eddie Howe type player” this is written :lol: 

IMG_5127.jpeg

This description is why I think he'd be more than able to play with Isak on the right side of our attack as opposed to just being cover for him. Whether Eddie would be willing to tweak the team a little, or David would be willing to play second fiddle to Isak as a more orthodox winger is another story. 

• Like 1

There's reports in Portugal, so perhaps take them with a grain of salt, that we're currently favourites for Antonio Silva. Supposedly he's had a bit of a downturn in form recently, but he's still only 20 and clearly has immense potential, so buying him for a cheaper price than perhaps normal when his stock is down could be a very smart move. Reading about him he has all the attributes to replace Schar in the long term and would add a bit more pace in our back line. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Polarboy said:

There's reports in Portugal, so perhaps take them with a grain of salt, that we're currently favourites for Antonio Silva. Supposedly he's had a bit of a downturn in form recently, but he's still only 20 and clearly has immense potential, so buying him for a cheaper price than perhaps normal when his stock is down could be a very smart move. Reading about him he has all the attributes to replace Schar in the long term and would add a bit more pace in our back line. 

sexy yes please GIF by ABB Formula E