Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

27 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

this is quite the take. 

as far as i see the gordon story (stop me if i've got the timeline wrong): 

it was reported (can't remember who broke it) that liverpool approached us for gordon knowing we were scrambling to beat the psr deadline

we said, okay, we'll entertain an offer, how much for quansah in exchange? they said he's not for sale, we'll give you £60m for gordon (conveniently the exact amount needed to clear our psr deficit). we said, thanks but no thanks. 

then it was reported on the bbc that we "offered" gordon to liverpool, no quotes from anyone to support this. and that liverpool walked away. 

now gordon's "head has been turned" - no mention of who he told this to. and according to the scouse bloggers, we're paving the way for his exit this window by taking control of the narrative. 

i hope he stays but everyone has a price - he's a £100m winger now 

I think the story was that they had previously approached us, and we re-initiated the conversation as a backup plan. 

Also £60m is nowhere near enough to have cleared our PSR debts, given Gordon must have a book value of >£30-35m (can't remember exactly how much we paid for him). 

The "head has been turned" thing came from reports that there were concerns within the club that his head would be turned by interest from the club.  Nothing has come from the player. 

• Like 1

Also Chris Waugh reported on the concerns from within the club that Gordon has had his head turned.  I've no reason to think he's making them up, so it's probably true, but they are reports of concerns. It basically means nowt until there's something concrete from the player. 

The question is why would we supposedly still want to sell him now that the PSR shortfall has been covered. You could say so that we could reinvest in the squad, but we'd need to replace Gordon, or at least get Barnes a decent understudy. And if I'm getting this PSR shite right we don't have to worry about it for another three years, in which time we should be able to spend roughly what we've spent the previous three, but without the shortfall due to new sponsorship deals, non essential player sales etc. Although I suppose 80 to 100 million would allow us to really reshape the squad.

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Ederson off to Saudi apparently

Makes little sense to me, why not spend big money on more exciting players? I guess they (Ronaldo's Al-Nassr) really want to win the title this coming season. Last season in second place they conceded 42 goals compared to only 23 from the winners (Mitrovic FC). The lost by 14 points and Mitrovic FC were undefeated.

53 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

lol fair point. he does have his moments. plenty of them to be fair.

on a side note, heh heh, how was Fraser not sent off for that blatant assault on our keeper?

if nothing else he provides plenty of "exciting" moments.

I think general opinion is that we would be fine with Ortega. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

Flamingo are after Pacqueta.

Weird one as well. Im assuming this lifetime ban hanging over him has something to do with it.

Rumours that he might be looking at jail time. And Brazil is a non extradition country...

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/08/nasir-jamshed-former-pakistan-cricket-batsman-jailed-17-months-over-fixing-scandal

Edited by Kid Dynamite

Sports Bild in Germany are reporting that we along with Liverpool, Villa and the top German teams are interested in Brajan Gruda, a 20 year old right winger, who according to them is one of the top emerging talents in Germany. The fee is said to be around 42 million. The only clear advantage we have over Liverpool, Bayern is that he wants plenty of minutes in the first 11. Villa, Leipzig, and perhaps Leverkusen depending on who they sell this summer, will obviously be able to offer both Europe and minutes. 

Edited by Polarboy

8 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

Flamingo are after Pacqueta.

Weird one as well. Im assuming this lifetime ban hanging over him has something to do with it.

I can’t see West Ham letting him go. Surely they’d be better keeping his registration and suing him if things go to shit.

• Like 1

If we are considering moving on Trippier, Almiron and Wilson to Saudi then we have a bit of work to do in the window. I'd add Targett to that list too. 

RW, CF, RCB surely top of the list 

IMG_1895.thumb.jpeg.8e3310819c896b13e9dd88abf5a9bb78.jpeg

• Like 1