Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

12 hours ago, Isegrim said:

Difficult to say. Maybe they really couldn’t have done anything more or different. But looking at the outcome I do find it difficult to believe that a different kind of planning could have prevented the last minute panic.

Looking at it from an outside perspective I am always perplexed about the approach from English clubs in the transfer market and leaving things to the last minutes. You do hardly see this absurd last minute frantic anywhere else. Transfer deadline isn’t as big a thing in most countries. At least in Germany most clubs do their business before the season starts.

I think Gemmill’s point though, which I agree with, is no level of planning can make you force other clubs’ hands in terms of signing our players. You’ve even said yourself it’s the English system that is mainly to blame. 

• Like 3

For my own amusement, I'm gonna pretend that every youth signing this window is the result of information found on a mysterious hard drive labelled "Secrets for Jim" found haphazardly jammed in the paper shredder in the hallway outside Ashworth's NUFC office some time during February.

• Haha 8

4 hours ago, Alex said:

I think Gemmill’s point though, which I agree with, is no level of planning can make you force other clubs’ hands in terms of signing our players. You’ve even said yourself it’s the English system that is mainly to blame. 

I do not disagree. Of course it’s not possible to force other clubs to sign players.
With hindsight things are always difficult to judge. But I do still believe that a thorough assessment is needed not to repeat a scenario like this and to try to improve not just our recruitment but also how to get rid of players.

• Like 1

I think the PL teams generally treating transfers like a big game of chicken makes it seem a bit chaotic. Perhaps too chaotic for German sensibilities. 

Do you have the phrase "playing Chicken" in Germany?

Die Hänchen Spiele! Ja, sein lieblings Fußballteam spielt mit alle Club die Hänchen spiele!

(Es tut mir leid. I'm trying to learn German. It's clearly not going well. :lol: )

Edited by toonotl

Javier Manquillo made this fucker look average in the same game at Leeds where Trippier made him look conference level. Never been convinced by him tbh. He’s obviously better than am making out but would he indisputably be an upgrade on Miggy?… 

https://www.football365.com/news/newcastle-barcelona-acccept-offer-raphinha-fifth-summer-signing

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Javier Manquillo made this fucker look average in the same game at Leeds where Trippier made him look conference level. Never been convinced by him tbh. He’s obviously better than am making out but would he indisputably be an upgrade on Miggy?… 

https://www.football365.com/news/newcastle-barcelona-acccept-offer-raphinha-fifth-summer-signing

Yes IMO.

23 contributions in 37 last season

22 in 50 season before

14 in 36 in his last season for Leeds, he got 19 the year before.

He's proven he's consistently better than Miggy if you ask me.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Yes IMO.

23 contributions in 37 last season

22 in 50 season before

14 in 36 in his last season for Leeds, he got 19 the year before.

He's proven he's consistently better than Miggy if you ask me.

Also says in the article that he isnt keen on joining the second biggest team in the North East and is a MLF

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, RobElliott said:

Also says in the article that he isnt keen on joining the second biggest team in the North East and is a MLF

I don't think boro can afford him!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Missed this yesterday. With Minteh, Anderson and Almiron gone we are going to be light on wingers. 
IMG_1867.thumb.png.70200377fc251697a760f8b76c65a7dd.png

Got to assume we're getting a right winger in to replace almiron in which case we've got

Gordon/Barnes for the left and New Guy/Murphy on the right.

Plus potential cover by Joelinton or Isakif things get particularly bad.

That's probably fine for a season with no europe.

• Like 5

I don't know if it's just my latent hatred for Liverpool, but the media coverage of Liverpool's interest in Gordon seems very odd. No surprises there, of course, but it's interesting since we haven't really dealt with them recently in the transfer market. It's so lopsided that despite us never actually receiving even so much as an actual offer from them, there are multiple news reports of them "rejecting" our offer of Gordon to them. But from what I can tell the whole thing went: 1. They ask about Gordon's availability because they're vultures sensing we need to sell; 2. We ask about the availability of Quansah because we're technically willing to entertain the idea of selling any of our players for the right price; 3. They say Quansah isn't available. 4. We say, ok, neither is Gordon unless you've got 100m or thereabouts. 5. They say no thanks. 6. End of story.

I doubt very much also that Gordon's head has been turned. The source would be some scouse muppet in the England squad like TAA or whoever thinking everyone wants to play for them and telling some tinpot journalist that Gordon is heartbroken at Newcastle "REJECTING", sorry, Liverpool "REJECTING" Newcastle's offer to sell Gordon.

I'm quite confused as to how you can enquire about the availability of an asset. Get a response. And then REJECT their response as though it's some sort of concrete offer is beyond me.

"THAT'S A NICE CAR!"

"Thanks."

"I DON'T WANT IT! NO THANKS! I'M HAPPY WITH MY CAR!"

"..."

Anyway, in reality where the rest of the world lives, the scouse appear to have asked about Gordon's availability. We undoubtedly gave the prudent response that he's available for the right price (like all of our players are available in this stupid world of PSR that everyone except the cartel has to deal with now). And they had no intention of meeting our valuation because they had hoped they could just pick the bones off our rotting corpse like the dirty scavengers that they are. No such luck.

Reading between the lines Liverpool's media offensive really has the vibes of a "you can't dump me you're dumped" kind of teenage boy with a paper thin ego type thing about it from Liverpool. Similar to ManU's response to the Ashworth situation really. The media just seems like it's an extension of a ManU or Liverpool social media platform at times with them desperately trying to convince themselves amongst themselves that their clubs are still the focal point of everything in the footballing world.

Then the rest of us are all left to watch in bemusement while Liverpool/ManU try to tell us they have a new girlfriend, we wouldn't know her though, she goes to another school.

Pathetic losers.

• Like 9

talking about all the above on the phone to me brother yesterday. I've let it all wind me up a bit as well, also on account of having a pathological hatred of red dippers. (and the blue ones)

anyway, he's a lot more philosophical about it than me on this occasion, reckons although gordon will inevitably have been at the very least intrigued by liverpool's interest that deep down footballers are all aware that they're basically just commodities, even more so in the modern world of social media rumour.

gordon will have moved on almost immediately from being unsettled and his focus will be concentrated on hating southgate!

I hope he's right.  :)

• Haha 2

this is quite the take. 

as far as i see the gordon story (stop me if i've got the timeline wrong): 

it was reported (can't remember who broke it) that liverpool approached us for gordon knowing we were scrambling to beat the psr deadline

we said, okay, we'll entertain an offer, how much for quansah in exchange? they said he's not for sale, we'll give you £60m for gordon (conveniently the exact amount needed to clear our psr deficit). we said, thanks but no thanks. 

then it was reported on the bbc that we "offered" gordon to liverpool, no quotes from anyone to support this. and that liverpool walked away. 

now gordon's "head has been turned" - no mention of who he told this to. and according to the scouse bloggers, we're paving the way for his exit this window by taking control of the narrative. 

i hope he stays but everyone has a price - he's a £100m winger now 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 3

So their argument is built on the premise that Edwards is the "mouthpiece" of NUFC. :lol: 

Edwards knows absolutely nothing. Someone on twitter nailed it in response to these tweets: "Luke, the club don't even tell you when they're having a press conference". Spot on. :lol: He knows absolutely nothing. He's talking pure shit. He hasn't had an in with the club since Ashley left and he's living off the fumes of reposting other people's stories and peddling clear non-truths that the club want in the public eye for their own ends without using someone else and burning bridges with a legitimate journalist.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that the club are feeding Edwards his lines though given the Barella stuff before we signed Sandro etc? I don't follow Edwards, but I do find it concerning if he's trying to paint this narrative. Then again he may just be trying to fill his column page having run out of crayons. 

Edited by Polarboy