Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Apparently we slashed our asking price for Ashworth as we needed the extra cash to plug the rest of the PSR hole.

Sorry to keep banging this drum, but that's total mismanagement to get to June 30th and still have £60-70mil left to find. To the point you're having hawk one of your best players to a rival to help you out. I wouldn't put it past the FA to argue the toss about our valuations either. 

• Like 1

They can't argue the toss. Those are arms length transactions with clubs that we have no affiliation with. They are, by definition, market value - in fact for Minteh we accepted less than Lyon offered us because the player didn't want to go there. 

And I completely disagree that it was mismanagement. They wanted to sell Anderson in January but he was injured. They tried to sell Miggy in January but he refused to go. Think something similar happened with Wilson. 

In the end, they sold two peripheral players and got £8m for a bloke who we were paying to sit around the house. He's now off the payroll now too. 

It all happened at the last minute because it was in the buying clubs' interests to make us wait til the last minute. Same reason a load of transfer window business happens on the last day, cos it's the point of maximum leverage. 

I honestly don't see the problem with it. We had a messy situation and we got out of it without any of our big stars going. Shame about Anderson but I suspect he was never going to be good enough for where we want to go. 

I don't know why there's so much fuss being kicked up about it. Fans on twitter saying "we need answers from the club". Answers to what? We had a PSR hole and we sorted it. There's your fucking answer. 

• Like 15

Blame psr, not the clubs doing what they can to navigate this bullshit and avoid a points deduction. Hopefully this will be the end of it in its current form. It’s killing the game, along with VAR 

• Like 7

Agreed. And btw the only way for us to not have got into this situation is by not buying the likes of Gordon, Isak and Tonali. In other words, by staying shit for a lot longer. 

I like the way they've done it better. And we'd have been hearing fucking plenty from the twitter experts if transfer window after transfer window had gone by without us buying anyone of note. I'm sure they'd have wanted "answers from the club" for that scenario too. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

They can't argue the toss. Those are arms length transactions with clubs that we have no affiliation with. They are, by definition, market value - in fact for Minteh we accepted less than Lyon offered us because the player didn't want to go there. 

And I completely disagree that it was mismanagement. They wanted to sell Anderson in January but he was injured. They tried to sell Miggy in January but he refused to go. Think something similar happened with Wilson. 

In the end, they sold two peripheral players and got £8m for a bloke who we were paying to sit around the house. He's now off the payroll now too. 

It all happened at the last minute because it was in the buying clubs' interests to make us wait til the last minute. Same reason a load of transfer window business happens on the last day, cos it's the point of maximum leverage. 

I honestly don't see the problem with it. We had a messy situation and we got out of it without any of our big stars going. Shame about Anderson but I suspect he was never going to be good enough for where we want to go. 

I don't know why there's so much fuss being kicked up about it. Fans on twitter saying "we need answers from the club". Answers to what? We had a PSR hole and we sorted it. There's your fucking answer. 

Good post. I’m sure we tried our utmost to sell the unwanted first (Almirón, Wilson, Trippier, Targett, Hayden, Lewis etc etc) but in the end we had no choice but to sell two young prospects. 

It doesn’t really matter when it got done, just that it did. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Good post. I’m sure we tried our utmost to sell the unwanted first (Almirón, Wilson, Trippier, Targett, Hayden, Lewis etc etc) but in the end we had no choice but to sell two young prospects. 

It doesn’t really matter when it got done, just that it did. 

The Gordon stuff is regrettable, but even that I think was necessary as a last resort. 

As it turned out though, I actually think they've done a pretty excellent job of getting us out of the situation with minimal impact to the first team squad. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

“Planning”

I do agree that there are circumstances that lead to our desperation that were out of our hands. But I do still think that a club should be better prepared for a scenario like this.

But it does also prove that we really spent all we had in recent transfer windows when fans were moaning about our lack of activity.

The English system is really nonsense and not fit for purpose but won’t change as long as there is a block of clubs who can’t allow a level playing field.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

The Gordon stuff is regrettable, but even that I think was necessary as a last resort. 

As it turned out though, I actually think they've done a pretty excellent job of getting us out of the situation with minimal impact to the first team squad. 

£100m for Gordon wouldn’t have been the end of the world. He isn’t the same calibre as Bruno and Isak. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Isegrim said:

“Planning”

I do agree that there are circumstances that lead to our desperation that were out of our hands. But I do still think that a club should be better prepared for a scenario like this.

But it does also prove that we really spent all we had in recent transfer windows when fans were moaning about our lack of activity.

The English system is really nonsense and not fit for purpose but won’t change as long as there is a block of clubs who can’t allow a level playing field.

Can you explain what you would have done differently, bearing in mind they had tried to make the sales in earlier windows? 

I'm pretty happy with how its been handled eventually. It's the ultra panic mode we seemed to be on for a couple of days what worried me, we're not used to the club acting like that anymore.

6 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

£100m for Gordon wouldn’t have been the end of the world. He isn’t the same calibre as Bruno and Isak. 

He's 3-4 years younger than them, and you could argue his contributions were more important last season. He was central to everything good we did going forward, that ability to drive at defences relentlessly with quality end product is near priceless. And he's going to get so much better. If we'd sold him that would have been a massive slap in the face to whatever ambition we have.  

I think he's underrated because he doesn't usually try the flicks and tricks the likes of Palmer and Saka do, but he does so many other things as well or better than them. Southgate apparently doesn't get it either.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

21 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Can you explain what you would have done differently, bearing in mind they had tried to make the sales in earlier windows? 

Difficult to say. Maybe they really couldn’t have done anything more or different. But looking at the outcome I do find it difficult to believe that a different kind of planning could have prevented the last minute panic.

Looking at it from an outside perspective I am always perplexed about the approach from English clubs in the transfer market and leaving things to the last minutes. You do hardly see this absurd last minute frantic anywhere else. Transfer deadline isn’t as big a thing in most countries. At least in Germany most clubs do their business before the season starts.

17 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

Difficult to say. Maybe they really couldn’t have done anything more or different. But looking at the outcome I do find it difficult to believe that a different kind of planning could have prevented the last minute panic.

Looking at it from an outside perspective I am always perplexed about the approach from English clubs in the transfer market and leaving things to the last minutes. You do hardly see this absurd last minute frantic anywhere else. Transfer deadline isn’t as big a thing in most countries. At least in Germany most clubs do their business before the season starts.

Germans good at planning shocker. 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Several people on Twitter (I know) say we never touted Gordon.

I read somewhere that Liverpool had previously enquired about Gordon, and seeing our PSR situation tried again last week. With the club being in the situation they were in they felt they at least had to listen to what was being offered, even if they weren't in favour of letting someone like Gordon go. So basically they weren't actively trying to flog Gordon, they just listened to a proposal, put a massive pricetag on him, and also enquired about Quansah. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Isegrim said:

typical German efficiency