Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

5 hours ago, Isegrim said:

The whole business is ridiculous and taking a lot of joy out of football for me. It’s ok trying to stop clubs just "buying" success, but basically forcing clubs with enough money to sell players just to comply with arbitrary regulations is plain bollocks.

So we need to sell a prodigy like Anderson or an untried talent like Minteh in time of an arbitrary deadline just to probably be able to spunk absurd money on another player in the upcoming weeks. That’s without thinking about us needing to consider to sell untouchable assets to big six rivals.

I am done with this. I unfollowed all journalists and won’t care about transfers. I will see what players will be there in August and then hopefully start to enjoy watching matches. But there is no excitement left thinking about how we will build a decent squad.

aye.

you open up the bbc's premier league page and the first thing you see is we've apparently tried to pimp out our player of the season to the fucking red dippers while he's over at your place in an international tournament.

it makes me want to vomit in all honesty..

• Like 2

I’m absolutely gutted for Anderson. A young Newcastle fan that dreamed of playing for his home town club an no doubt doesn’t want to leave.  Now we are out of Europe his game time would have been less but I’m sure the aim would be to get back in next year. He can cover loads of positions and looks like Eddie rated him. 

Sadly he has been the sacrificial lamb. I would have rather got rid of Longstaff or a load of the dross but I’m sure we tried.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

It's a real shame for him personally, but I'll be amazed if he ends up good enough for where we want to get to. 

Agreed. Said it before but what is he meant to be good at? 

• Like 2

Just now, strawb said:

Agreed. Said it before but what is he meant to be good at? 

He is strong, can play multiple positions, either footed, decent in the air. I think what I like about him most is he can take a ball on the turn superbly. Not many players can do that. 

He might well end up being an average player but I think there is a player in there and moving away from Eddie Howe will affect his career. 

From the financial position we are in , I can see why the club have done it but it’s sad for a player to be shifted out for PSR rather than being unwanted. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

He is strong, can play multiple positions, either footed, decent in the air. I think what I like about him most is he can take a ball on the turn superbly. Not many players can do that. 

He might well end up being an average player but I think there is a player in there and moving away from Eddie Howe will affect his career. 

From the financial position we are in , I can see why the club have done it but it’s sad for a player to be shifted out for PSR rather than being unwanted. 

I think he is a decent enough player but he doesn’t have any standout attributes for me, being able to play in so many positions has probably done him a disservice cos I don’t know what kind of player he is.

Obviously I would like him to stay and improve here but needs must and he unfortunately one of our weaker midfielders, where we have the most other players, who someone is will to pay for.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, strawb said:

I think he is a decent enough player but he doesn’t have any standout attributes for me, being able to play in so many positions has probably done him a disservice cos I don’t know what kind of player he is.

Obviously I would like him to stay and improve here but needs must and he unfortunately one of our weaker midfielders, where we have the most other players, who someone is will to pay for.

Yeah, agree with that. I’m not sure what his best position is and if he even fits in with a Howe formation. I think he has been particularly unlucky with injuries when he has tried to break through and has never had a run in a settled position. 

I just find it sad when a local lad with a bit of talent is sold on. Longstaff doesn’t have his ability and is surely at the point where we need to upgrade him so if it was a toss up I’d lose Ciggy.

• Like 1

I would have thought that the most convenient solution would be selling a player like Almiron to a Saudi club. No doubt the hypocrites in the media would go off it. But we’ve largely avoided doing it so far. ASM was sold at market value (arguably below) and plenty other clubs have done similar. Something like £25m would not be too far off.  Transfermkt has him at €20m. I’m sure a club that isn’t owned by PIF could be ‘persuaded’ just to make it all look above board. Two years there and he could go home absolutely loaded 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

Season 5 What GIF by Friends

Holden be hating on Longy? 

Longy

I’ve always said he is average. You’ve flip flopped from wanting him in the England team to being worse than Billy Askew.

i just don’t criticise him for every bad pass in a game. He actually tries his best and was clearly playing through an injury last season. Overall though he needs replacing alongside Almiron. I suspect the entire fan base knows this though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Holden McGroin said:

I’ve always said he is average. You’ve flip flopped from wanting him in the England team to being worse than Billy Askew.

i just don’t criticise him for every bad pass in a game. He actually tries his best and was clearly playing through an injury last season. Overall though he needs replacing alongside Almiron. I suspect the entire fan base knows this though. 

😂 It's true

I think though with his experience he would be a better squad player for now than Anderson but aye he needs replacing. 

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

I would have thought that the most convenient solution would be selling a player like Almiron to a Saudi club. No doubt the hypocrites in the media would go off it. But we’ve largely avoided doing it so far. ASM was sold at market value (arguably below) and plenty other clubs have done similar. Something like £25m would not be too far off.  Transfermkt has him at €20m. I’m sure a club that isn’t owned by PIF could be ‘persuaded’ just to make it all look above board. Two years there and he could go home absolutely loaded 

Could still happen, but the Saudi window is currently shut (opens July 17 according to transfermarkt). I think our last chance to offload him to there to fix this problem was Jan, when he was refusing to go. 

I think we might still see him and Wilson go there, but it would have been too late to fix our June 30 problem.

• Like 3

Just now, wykikitoon said:

😂 It's true

I think though with his experience he would be a better squad player for now than Anderson but aye he needs replacing. 

I suspect we tried to offload him. In fact I think the club were entertaining offers for every player. Obviously, we’d only take absolute silly money for Gordon, Bruno or Isak.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Could still happen, but the Saudi window is currently shut (opens July 17 according to transfermarkt). I think our last chance to offload him to there to fix this problem was Jan, when he was refusing to go. 

I think we might still see him and Wilson go there, but it would have been too late to fix our June 30 problem.

Ah, right. That makes sense then cheers. And aye, you would think something like that is still on the cards. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think that’s what they thought would be possible when we took a gamble with Hall in agreeing a loan with having to pay a fee to sign him later. We just haven’t been able to offload players at all. Not just the ones from the first team squad we would like to replace to improve but especially also the likes of Hayden, Lewis etc.

They need to have a look to improve transfer handling at board room level because it is not acceptable to get as desperate again.

Just now, Isegrim said:

I think that’s what they thought would be possible when we took a gamble with Hall in agreeing a loan with having to pay a fee to sign him later. We just haven’t been able to offload players at all. Not just the ones from the first team squad we would like to replace to improve but especially also the likes of Hayden, Lewis etc.

They need to have a look to improve transfer handling at board room level because it is not acceptable to get as desperate again.

I guess a big part of the problem is other clubs being in the same boat. Wasn’t last January the quietest ever in terms of transfers? Since the current transfer window system began anyway I think. Previously English clubs were comfortably outspending the rest of the world. It doesn’t seem sustainable in terms of the Premier League as a ‘product’. You’d also think there will soon be enough clubs kicking up a stink to get things changed. Brighton, for example, gave built a successful model on buying well then selling on for a profit. And repeat. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I take it all back. That's mental money for our 7th choice midfielder. I can only assume we are buying Elanga for £35mil tomorrow :lol: 

I also wonder whether the Minteh deal includes us going back to Brighton with a mega offer for Joao Pedro 

68m for them two is actually mental money. We’ve arrived lads, we’re caning it in for our youth prospects Man City and Chelsea style.

Also nailed on Anderson gets his first PL goal against us. Nailed on, I say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I also wonder whether the Minteh deal includes us going back to Brighton with a mega offer for Joao Pedro 

I fucking hope not, we don’t need a penalty merchant. We have Isak. It’s Evan Ferguson or they can fuck off.

• Like 2

Getting around 70mill for our sixth or seventh choice midfielder and a kid who has never played a game for us seems like pretty good business given our weak negotiating position.

It's a shit situation but you'd have to admit that the club has made the most of it, particularly with the Anderson fee. I would've thought that somewhere in the region of 12-15mill for him would've been good money.

He's an attack minded midfielder without a PL goal to his name and has gone for close to the fee we paid for Bruno (from memory). Good business, I reckon.

• Like 2