Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

12 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I think it’s tactical. It’s so nonsensical - the idea that the richest owners in world football are forced to sell the best player to a league rival. It’s too ridiculous to take seriously. 

I’ll be appalled if it’s true. I think it’s almost certainly bullshit story designed to highlight how pathetic these rules are 

I don't understand why you think that "it's too ridiculous to take seriously". 

The rules are ridiculous, but they ARE the rules, and it's widely accepted that we are currently in breach of them and need to sell to fix that.

"Look how hard we worked to comply, but we just couldn't get a deal sorted" is not going to work as an excuse. If they allow it once, the last week in June will just become a period where all of the clubs in PSR bother frantically "enter into negotiations", only to throw their hands up on 1st July and cry "Dammit!.... but at least we tried!" 

We're in bother. We're gonna have to sell someone to get out of it, or we're gonna take a points deduction. Telling yourself otherwise is daft. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

We're in bother. We're gonna have to sell someone to get out of it, or we're gonna take a points deduction. Telling yourself otherwise is daft. 

What would the expected points deduction be? Forest were docked four points for being £34.5m over. I've heard figures from £20-60m pounds touted as our current discrepancy. A 2-7 point deduction would be more palatable than losing Isak/Bruno/Gordon.

I'm slightly suprised that Tonali hasn't been mentioned.

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Making a profit on Tonali would be the issue, after the season he's just had. That's why he isn't getting mentioned. 

I think it would be around 6 points deduction. 

You're probably right. We bought him for a bit under £60m on a 5 year contract so by my reckoning it would have to be above £48m to be considered profit. There would also be the benefit next season of the reduced wages which of course does nothing for our immediate issue, but the thing with Tonali is we wouldn't miss what we never really had. The emergence of Miley opens this up as a more palatable option.

38 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I don't understand why you think that "it's too ridiculous to take seriously". 

The rules are ridiculous, but they ARE the rules, and it's widely accepted that we are currently in breach of them and need to sell to fix that.

"Look how hard we worked to comply, but we just couldn't get a deal sorted" is not going to work as an excuse. If they allow it once, the last week in June will just become a period where all of the clubs in PSR bother frantically "enter into negotiations", only to throw their hands up on 1st July and cry "Dammit!.... but at least we tried!" 

I think we will sell a player or two before the end of the June cut off but there’s more chance of your Everton prediction coming in than us selling one of the Crown Jewels 

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

They can get fucked.  If that happens the Oil Cunts should be taking the FA Prem or whoever to court.  It's a joke.

it's been pissing me off for a little while now how we're seemingly hell bent on being the nice guys. we've even voted in favour of stuff which appears  counterproductive.

enough of this bollocks, get in to them and fuck them up, sell no fucker, buy who we fucking like, announce the biggest stadium sponsorship the world has ever seen.... etc etc.

then bankrupt the premier league with its legal fees. won't be happy me till richard masters' head is stuck on a spike outside the strawberry, the corrupt, smarmy, greasy tory cunt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

The Elanga/Anderson swap with forest makes perfect sense as does the DCL/ Minteh swap - clubs getting stiffed by the rules working together to navigate them. Selling the players the Saudis want to build the team around to (in the chairman’s words) take us to number one makes zero sense 

• Like 1

I wouldn't part with Anderson.

He has many virtues, a lot of potential, he is very young, he is academy player (and that is good both for the locker room and to comply with the registration rules in Europe in the future).

He does not have enough value today to sell him and achieve salary margin.

If I had to sell players, I would undoubtedly go more towards Almirón or Willock. Even Barnes, if we take into account that he is a very good player, but that he plays the same position as Gordon.

Edited by Diego21
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Diego21 said:

I wouldn't part with Anderson.

He has many virtues, a lot of potential, he is very young, he is Geordie (and that is good both for the locker room and to comply with the registration rules in Europe in the future).

He does not have enough value today to sell him and achieve salary margin.

If I had to sell players, I would undoubtedly go more towards Almirón or Willock. Even Barnes, if we take into account that he is a very good player, but that he plays the same position as Gordon.

I’d rather keep Anderson and Minteh too but it looks like we’re going to be stiffed by these rules and you can only sell players people want to buy. As long as it isn’t one of Bruno, Isak or Gordon I think we’re going to have to suck it up. Is rarher not sell willock either but if a £30-40m bid came in (unlikely after an injury-hit season) you’d have to consider it 

Barnes is a recent purchase. Same story with Tonali. Selling Barnes doesn't represent a very good return in terms of PSR. Anderson is pure profit given he's a youth product*.

*from the academy I meant.

Edited by toonotl
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, toonotl said:

Barnes is a recent purchase. Same story with Tonali. Selling Barnes doesn't represent a very good return in terms of PSR. Anderson is pure profit given he's a youth product*.

*from the academy I meant.

If the business is to exchange it with Elanga, you wouldn't gain anything, right?

1 minute ago, Diego21 said:

If the business is to exchange it with Elanga, you wouldn't gain anything, right?

The exchange would come with a nominal exchange of money. So in essence one player goes each way for 25mill. Clearing both our PSR debts in the process.

This seems to be the tactic to look around for clubs willing to do a swap for players of similar value to dodge the PSR crap.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I would not be happy with that deal. Elanga is no improvement over Almiron. 

I suppose it will save us 6 points though. 

It makes zero sense to compare a 22 year old player with a high ceiling to Almiron a 30 year old who in his best season for us, with that mental purple patch, still didn't best Elanga's 14 goal involvements last season in the PL for a poor Forest side. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I think we will sell a player or two before the end of the June cut off but there’s more chance of your Everton prediction coming in than us selling one of the Crown Jewels 

Well we've got as far as asking Liverpool about taking Quansah as part of a deal for Gordon, but you keep injecting that copium! 

9 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

It makes zero sense to compare a 22 year old player with a high ceiling to Almiron a 30 year old who in his best season for us, with that mental purple patch, still didn't best Elanga's 14 goal involvements last season in the PL for a poor Forest side. 

I didn’t realise his stats were that good to be fair. I still haven’t been impressed with him and he isn’t a player that will get us in top 4. My opinion of course.

• Like 1