Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

37 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Why the fuck does he want to go to Everton? Absolute graveyard of wasted talent.

He seems desperate to play PL football, by all accounts. Up until the Brighton mention this morning Everton were the only PL side putting something like an offer together. 

21 minutes ago, The Mighty Hog said:

He seems desperate to play PL football, by all accounts. Up until the Brighton mention this morning Everton were the only PL side putting something like an offer together. 

One of them dodgy PSR swaps for Evan Ferguson wouldn't be too bad a deal for us.

• Like 2

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle-brighton-everton-yankuba-minteh-3139378?ito=copy-link_share_article-top

Brighton are set to advance their interest in Newcastle United winger Yankuba Minteh, with the Magpies forced to broker sales before the so-called Profitability and Sustainability rules (PSR) deadline at the end of the month.

19-year-old Minteh has interest from Everton, Borussia Dortmund and Lyon but i understands that Brighton have held further talks with Newcastle over a £30m deal for the winger.

i has been told that Minteh – who was on holiday with his family earlier this week – is “relaxed” about his future but would prefer to remain in the Premier League, so a move to Brighton would likely appeal.

The Seagulls have a record of buying well and Minteh is understood to have shown up well on their transfer metrics after a successful loan spell at Feyenoord last season.

That performance had raised hopes that Newcastle would be able to integrate him into their first team squad but their PSR situation requires them to sell players to avoid a breach of the allowable loss limits over a rolling three-year cycle.

Several of their first team players are up for sale but it is Minteh who has attracted the most interest.

Everton are also keen but a proposal involving Dominic Calvert-Lewin was sunk earlier this week because the two clubs were far apart on their valuations of the players.

Any deal with Brighton would likely not include a buy-back clause, which is something Newcastle fans have been pinning their hopes on.

Friday night brought further reports of Chelsea holding dialogue over star striker Alexander Isak but Newcastle do not want to sell the Sweden striker, who has reaffirmed his commitment to the club twice this year.

Newcastle want to tie Isak down to a new contract but their PSR situation has encouraged clubs to enquire about their star men.

If they do sell Minteh it would, at least, ease concerns about that possibility.

Edited by The Mighty Hog

If we end up being forced to sell Isak on the cheap (which is anything under 150m) to fuckin Chelsea because of PSR then that'll be the absolute height of this farce. Utterly ridiculous. I don't even know what to say to this shit. Chelsea have taken the piss with FFP more than anyone, yet somehow they're in a position to inquire after our players because we're apparently the ones in a financial spot of bother. Fuck right off. This shit is corrupt as it comes. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, toonotl said:

If we end up being forced to sell Isak on the cheap (which is anything under 150m) to fuckin Chelsea because of PSR then that'll be the absolute height of this farce. Utterly ridiculous. I don't even know what to say to this shit. Chelsea have taken the piss with FFP more than anyone, yet somehow they're in a position to inquire after our players because we're apparently the ones in a financial spot of bother. Fuck right off. This shit is corrupt as it comes. 

If that happens (which imo I don't think it will) I'll be finished with football 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

If that happens (which imo I don't think it will) I'll be finished with football 

I’ll be disappointed too; but i think ill still watch football afterwards.

I’d rather sell Isak than Bruno. Although, I’d rather sell neither.

• Like 1

We’re not selling Isak man. The Saudis aren’t going to be pushed around to that extent. They’ve played by the rules so far, but they’ll find a way to get past the June deadline thing, probably by flogging Minteh 

• Like 1

Keeping Isak is worth more than the c.6 points we'd be deducted for missing it anyway.

I continue to believe its very unlikely the club don't have some sort of plan in place around this.

• Like 4

PSR in its current guise is a self-defeating exercise; clubs are forced to sell their best and brightest young talent to limitless overlords by an arbitrary date which only serves to reduce the sale price. Subbsequently they then need to replace that talent to remain competitive, often having to spend aggressively to do so. I actually like that some of them have been reciprocally transferring youth players for numbers allegedly above their worth to facilitate adherence to the rules. The selling of Brennan Johnson also highlights perfectly how inneffectual PSR is at achieving what it allegedly sets out to do; protect the longer term financial interests of a club. If Forest sold Johnson in the accounting window it would have been for £20m less than they sold him for a few months later. How would doing that have been in Forest's long term financial interests?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

We’re not selling Isak man. The Saudis aren’t going to be pushed around to that extent. They’ve played by the rules so far, but they’ll find a way to get past the June deadline thing, probably by flogging Minteh 

True. It's just the ridiculousness of the situation of fuckin' Chelsea circling like vultures on a dying carcass when they should be long dead and buried by these stupid rules. It's farcical. Set me right off before I'd had a chance to have my morning coffee. So I've calmed down enough now to say that all of the US and their for-profit sport's ownership model can go and get fucked. Nice and calm.

Honestly, it's pretty clear that we are target no. 1 for the FFP rules. They were brought in too late to stop PSG and MancBlue's ownership with a view to stopping the next one. We're the next one. Everyone else is irrelevant. So, as powerful as the Saudis are, it's really the big clubs all against us. Everton and Forest are collateral damage.

Edited by toonotl
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, OTF said:

PSR in its current guise is a self-defeating exercise.

If we're operating under the assumption that it's about what the stakeholders of it tell us it's about. As far as it's actual intentions, it's working brilliantly. We have a points deduction hanging over our heads unless we sell a talented teenager or one of our stars.

Honestly, I hope ManC win every single trophy going until such time as we're capable of competing because despite all the bullshit we will get to the top eventually. All of this nonsense is just slowing things down.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’d like to think you are right but…

Broocie said “I need my 1000th game”

Ok Mr Bruce

A petulant goalkeeper hoys his dummy out the pram because he doesn’t want to share with an England no 1 and off he goes to manchester ufuckingnited at HIS choice.*

The amount of blatant VAR fuck overs, nowt said

We are just too “nice” man

It’s pissing me off

*Oh aye and welcomed back with the cunt being cup-tied for his own team against a team he’d barely played for in our last major cup final.

Edited by Dougle
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

But even that feels like a kick in the guts given that Minteh is quite an exciting prospect and no doubt better than some of the dross we have on our books.

• Like 1