Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Trippier alone won't be enough to solve the June problem if it is a £40m hole. We bought him for £12m, it'll be a single digit millions profit I would think. 

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but don't wages play into PSR calculations as well? So, if we get, say £15m for Trippier and drop his wages of, say, £120k per week. He's got 1 year left on his deal, so that's c£6.24m + the £15m, so around £21m onto this years books. Dump another player for around the same book value (or Minteh for £30m?) and we're golden, right?

Edited by The Fish

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but don't wages play into PSR calculations as well? So, if we get, say £15m for Trippier and drop his wages of, say, £120k per week. He's got 1 year left on his deal, so that's c£6.24m + the £15m, so around £21m onto this years books. Dump another player for around the same book value (or Minteh for £30m?) and we're golden, right?

Wages do, but it's wages we've already paid so you can't really do anything about it. They'll already be in the P&L. The only thing that would make a difference would be the the transfer fee on sale less the net book value of the £12m when we bought him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I haven't looked into it in detail, but I don't think so. It would be an extremely unusual accounting treatment/calculation that allows you to bank a profit for the future wage of a player.

We bought him in Jan 22 for 12m and he's got a year left on his contract, so about £3-4m book value. If we sell him for £15m (which seems a bit high given his age), you're looking at an £11-12m profit. 

Miggy and Wilson could both end up in Saudi - it's the only place that we'd get a decent fee and they'd get the wages they'd be looking for to leave. This assumes both want to throw gay people off buildings and stone lasses like.

• Haha 4

Chelsea have enquired about Isak apparently. He'd be fucking daft to go there imo but let's see. 

How Chelsea are able to afford this is absolutely beyond me. It seems like at some point the PL is going to have to step in and say "lads, where is this all going?" 

Edited by Gemmill

46 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

It'll be a farce if he goes there. The richest (owners) club in the world having to sell to an arch rival.

The whole PSR system needs ripping up.

Who in turn have flagrantly made a mockery of the same system in question with ludicrous spending that is completely unsustainable. 

• Like 1

I saw journalists at the chronicle saying they hope Man City aren't successful in overturning the rule that prevents clubs from basically paying themselves whatever they want from related company sponsorship, because it would "ruin" the game or something. Newsflash, the game has long gone in terms of money ruining it. The top six have done everything in their power to pull up the ladder permanently behind them, and the only realistic way another team has to compete is to be taken over by very rich owners. So Citeh have my best wishes in that respect, and I do think something will change in terms of PSR, because what's happening now with Chelsea selling hotels, teams selling each other youth players at inflated prices etc, is so transparently absurd it's unsustainable. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

The guardian are reporting that we've made an enquiry about Tomori off AC. A name we've heard before of course, but I think I'm right in saying that this is the first time a somewhat credible source has made mention of our interest. He's right footed, pacey, comfortable on the ball, has prem experience, still relatively young at 26, and appears to be equally comfortable playing as either a left or right sided centre back. So he'd be a very decent choice if we can get him for a price we can afford. I'd be very concerned about someone from the top six gazumping us on wages at the last minutes, but I suppose that's always a concern. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Polarboy said:

The guardian are reporting that we've made an enquiry about Tomori off AC. A name we've heard before of course, but I think I'm right in saying that this is the first time a somewhat credible source has made mention of our interest. He's right footed, pacey, comfortable on the ball, has prem experience, still relatively young at 26, and appears to be equally comfortable playing as either a left or right sided centre back. So he'd be a very decent choice if we can get him for a price we can afford. I'd be very concerned about someone from the top six gazumping us on wages at the last minutes, but I suppose that's always a concern. 

Another defender unlucky not to be in the England squad