Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

29 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

How about we get this bidding war resolved in the next 6 days lads? 

He is talking shite, £40 million would make him the joint 7th highest fee ever paid by a French club, so Marseille and Lyon aren’t fishing in that pond.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Do any of those sides have £40m to splash on a single player!?

Dortmund couldn’t afford the £30m for an established player in Sancho. No fucking way are they spending an extra £10m on a largely untested kid. They sell sketchy youngins for that amount, they don’t buy them.

5 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I can't think of too many non premier league clubs who are spending £40m on a untested kid other than Real, Barca, Bayern and PSG.

If we’re playing by the rules…

Apparently we value DCL at £20mil and Minteh at £40mil. Thats taking the piss tbf :lol: Probably about right for DCL, but not for a kid with one season under his belt in a farmers league.

Also makes me worry how big our PSR hole is!

Edited by Kid Dynamite

14 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Apparently we value DCL at £20mil and Minteh at £40mil. Thats taking the piss tbf :lol: Probably about right for DCL, but not for a kid with one season under his belt in a farmers league.

Also makes me worry how big our PSR hole is!

This is the Swiss Ramble from last week where he went through every PL club in a really long, detailed post, and said who still had work to do, and to what extent.

Screenshot_20240624-165601.png.c00f1c53de6578cd10d3226e15c8320d.png

See the number at the bottom - he has us about £44m short. The fact that we're valuing Minteh at around 40m would suggest he's not far off. 

Edited by Gemmill

14 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

This is the Swiss Ramble from last week where he went through every PL club in a really long, detailed post, and said who still had work to do, and to what extent.

Screenshot_20240624-165601.png.c00f1c53de6578cd10d3226e15c8320d.png

See the number at the bottom - he has us about £44m short. The fact that we're valuing Minteh at around 40m would suggest he's not far off. 

Thats a big chunk of cash to find in 6 days. Shame we don't have a hotel to sell ourselves 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, David Kelly said:

I get what you're saying there, but even then we're essentially taking a risk that we took when we had no money or prospects to hope that we get someone who can replicate what Wilson has done for us.  Surely there are better options out there, especially if we're talking £35m?

And yes, Wilson or DCL, is not enough backup for Isak alone.  We need a 3rd choice striker too.  I'm under no allusions that we can get players like Sesko to come and play as backup, but Gordon/Joelinton/academy players aren't up the job.  Of course we're very early into the transfer window so we may well have a plan for this.  But again I'd prefer not to be replacing a crock with a crock.

I wasn't aware they were asking for 35M for DCL :lol: I was thinking maybe 20M for him and shipping Wilson to Saudi for 25M would be a shrewd bit of business. 

And aye, totally agree we need a 3rd striker, especially if the first two have a history with injuries. An up and coming young one from Europe or South America I suppose. 

23 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Thats a big chunk of cash to find in 6 days. Shame we don't have a hotel to sell ourselves 

Time to reignite the Saudi interest in Miggy, he should be zero net book value by now surely. 

Yesterday we're apparently in for DCL and selling Minteh to them.

Today....

:lol:

It's so transparent. Didn't see much about hotel sales? 

• Haha 4
  • Jaysus... 1

4 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Today....

To be fair, Villa and Chelsea have been selling academy players to one another for £20m each the past few days. I think it's in response to that, although no question we were planning on doing the same with Minteh/DCL. 

7 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Today....

I mean the definition of a loophole is that's it's not technically illegal. Monitor away :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Welcome to last week grandad :lol: 

I know he was linked with them but didn’t realise it was a done deal. 

And, yeah. Fair point 

Another problem with PSR is that because everybody's financials are publicly available, it massively weakens the selling club's position. If everyone knows we're in the hole to the tune of £40m they can hold us to ransom, and the sharks will circle for our star players. If we need to sell in the next 5 days to get under our PSR limit a bid on the final day of June for Bruno, Krafth*, or Almiron* is more likely to be begrudgingly accepted.

* just in case any top DoF's are reading

• Like 3

What is the penalty for not complying?  If it's a six point deduction, we'd be better off just taking that rather than selling Bruno.  I mean since he's signed, how many games have we won when he's not played?

• Like 2

I'm half expecting this entire notion of points deductions for PSR violations to be a thing of the past very soon. Probably right around the time Chelsea finally fall foul of the rules and can't get out of it by selling stock options or real estate or magic beans or any of those other completely football related assets that are currently being taken into account for PSR means-testing purposes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I mean the definition of a loophole is that's it's not technically illegal. Monitor away :lol: 

It means this will be the next anti-Newcastle regulation.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

All the rules are underpinned by the principle that clubs must ‘act in good faith’ which pretty much means you can’t bend the rules too far.*

*Unless you’re one of the ‘big six’, in which case crack on.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DCR said:

It means this will be the next anti-Newcastle regulation.

Asian Domenic Calvert..... ?

Self reported.

Why don't we sell Minteh to Everton for about £15m or whatever. Then, when they want the favour returned for us to sign DCL, we pull out of the transfer at 11pm on 30th June, leaving Everton with a bigger PSR hole than before and with no time to plug it. And thus, they receive another points deduction next season?

2 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Why don't we sell Minteh to Everton for about £15m or whatever. Then, when they want the favour returned for us to sign DCL, we pull out of the transfer at 11pm on 30th June, leaving Everton with a bigger PSR hole than before and with no time to plug it. And thus, they receive another points deduction next season?

£40m is the fee mentioned for and apparently the amount we need for PSR.  So selling him for £15m does nothing for us.