Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

I get why all of these rumors feel underwhelming to many, not what we expected after becoming the 'richest club in the world'. It's just the reality of what the PSR have made football though.

DCL for Wilson makes sense, especially if given his age we're able to get higher $ for Wilson from Saudi. 

Looks like we're monitoring a number of CBs, fairly confident we'll get someone decent in. Tomori > Kilman from what I've seen but lets see where we land. On the whole, having either of those and Burn/Kelly as backup makes for a very decent defensive squad. 

RW of course is the big one. I wonder if Barnes becomes a regular started on the left and Gordon moves to the right as we've seen on occasion. Still, replacing Miggy is absolutely paramount. He sticks out like a sore thumb with the quality of the rest of our attack now. If we were in for Olise clearly 50-60M has been earmarked for that position, should be interesting to see who's next. Neto links popping up again but surely we don't sign him, DCL and Kelly in one window with their injury records and what we suffered through last season :lol:     

• Like 4

Aye. Neto is fantastic but his injury record is not good. I  don’t think he is goal scorer either. He’d create a lot and a scares the shit out of full backs though. 

3 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

I get why all of these rumors feel underwhelming to many, not what we expected after becoming the 'richest club in the world'. It's just the reality of what the PSR have made football though.

DCL for Wilson makes sense, especially if given his age we're able to get higher $ for Wilson from Saudi. 

Looks like we're monitoring a number of CBs, fairly confident we'll get someone decent in. Tomori > Kilman from what I've seen but lets see where we land. On the whole, having either of those and Burn/Kelly as backup makes for a very decent defensive squad. 

RW of course is the big one. I wonder if Barnes becomes a regular started on the left and Gordon moves to the right as we've seen on occasion. Still, replacing Miggy is absolutely paramount. He sticks out like a sore thumb with the quality of the rest of our attack now. If we were in for Olise clearly 50-60M has been earmarked for that position, should be interesting to see who's next. Neto links popping up again but surely we don't sign him, DCL and Kelly in one window with their injury records and what we suffered through last season :lol:     

This is it really. We are strengthening the depth of the squad and it's going to take.time.

Looks like Minteh is Everton bound. Not sure what I think about this. He's unproven in the Prem. I've not actually seen him play. So you have to trust the club. But on the other hand he's a young lad who seems promising. 

Are Everton going to spend all of the DCL money on Minteh? Or have we greatly over exaggerated Minteh’s transfer value? :lol:

4 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

I totally get your general point but the specific about DCL is way off imo.  In the last three seasons he has managed 14 league goals and 5 assists from 66 games.  In the same time Wilson has manage 35 goals and 6 assists from 69 games.  So we'd be spending £35m (if reports are true) to get a younger, less effective, just as injury prone player.  I'd have no problems bringing him in with Wilson and Isak but to replace either of them weakens us as far as I can see.  

I can see how the signing of Cook and some of the other, not incredibly exciting, signings that have been talked about improve the base level of our squad without necessarily improving our first team and with a low outlay they potentially allow us to spend big on the area's of the team that are weakest.  But spending £35m on a striker who's worse than what we have doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I totally get your general point but the specific about DCL is way off imo.  In the last three seasons he has managed 14 league goals and 5 assists from 66 games.  In the same time Wilson has manage 35 goals and 6 assists from 69 games.  So we'd be spending £35m (if reports are true) to get a younger, less effective, just as injury prone player.  I'd have no problems bringing him in with Wilson and Isak but to replace either of them weakens us as far as I can see.  

I can see how the signing of Cook and some of the other, not incredibly exciting, signings that have been talked about improve the base level of our squad without necessarily improving our first team and with a low outlay they potentially allow us to spend big on the area's of the team that are weakest.  But spending £35m on a striker who's worse than what we have doesn't make sense to me.

When we bought Wilson it was off the back of him scoring 8 goals and providing 1 assist across 37 games in 2019/20 for Bournemouth as a 28 year old. This season past across 35 games DCL has scored 8 goals and provided 3 assists as a 27 year old.

I do agree though that 2 strikers (both with historic injuries problems) is cutting it very fine.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Are Everton going to spend all of the DCL money on Minteh? Or have we greatly over exaggerated Minteh’s transfer value? :lol:

If you're doing a 2 way sale, you can both agree to charge silly money and it goes down as a big PSR profit with minimal outlay

IMG_1740.thumb.jpeg.01a2f70e8160a93813f6ef9f70d39ada.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

If you're doing a 2 way sale, you can both agree to charge silly money and it goes down as a big PSR profit with minimal outlay

IMG_1740.thumb.jpeg.01a2f70e8160a93813f6ef9f70d39ada.jpeg

£150m for DCL and £152m for Minteh. Should be sound.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, OTF said:

When we bought Wilson it was off the back of him scoring 8 goals and providing 1 assist across 37 games in 2019/20 for Bournemouth as a 28 year old. This season past across 35 games DCL has scored 8 goals and provided 3 assists as a 27 year old.

I do agree though that 2 strikers (both with historic injuries problems) is cutting it very fine.

I get what you're saying there, but even then we're essentially taking a risk that we took when we had no money or prospects to hope that we get someone who can replicate what Wilson has done for us.  Surely there are better options out there, especially if we're talking £35m?

And yes, Wilson or DCL, is not enough backup for Isak alone.  We need a 3rd choice striker too.  I'm under no allusions that we can get players like Sesko to come and play as backup, but Gordon/Joelinton/academy players aren't up the job.  Of course we're very early into the transfer window so we may well have a plan for this.  But again I'd prefer not to be replacing a crock with a crock.

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Looks like Minteh is Everton bound. Not sure what I think about this. He's unproven in the Prem. I've not actually seen him play. So you have to trust the club. But on the other hand he's a young lad who seems promising. 

I know what I think, if he's joining them cunts I hope he's fucking shite.

• Haha 9

53 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I get what you're saying there, but even then we're essentially taking a risk that we took when we had no money or prospects to hope that we get someone who can replicate what Wilson has done for us.  Surely there are better options out there, especially if we're talking £35m?

And yes, Wilson or DCL, is not enough backup for Isak alone.  We need a 3rd choice striker too.  I'm under no allusions that we can get players like Sesko to come and play as backup, but Gordon/Joelinton/academy players aren't up the job.  Of course we're very early into the transfer window so we may well have a plan for this.  But again I'd prefer not to be replacing a crock with a crock.

I can't see us spending £35m on DCL, even if that's what Everton want. We paid £20m for Wilson and the market has risen substantially since then still £35m for DCL is overs. Wilson has been an excellent signing even accounting for all the time he has missed with injuries and Mrs Wykiki.

We're on the tightrope of FFP and PSR and not wanting to tarnish the hard work we have done thus far to adhere to it I can't see us resorting to Man City and Chelsea style operations where bending of rules end up being tolerated (thus far) due to size and legal position. What that means, especially with no European income, is essentials only whilst we hang onto our best talent and move on anyone non-critical who gives us a balance sheet boost. Just threw up a little in my mouth thinking of Mike Ashley as I formed that last sentence.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, David Kelly said:

I'm under no allusions that we can get players like Sesko to come and play as backup, but Gordon/Joelinton/academy players aren't up the job.  Of course we're very early into the transfer window so we may well have a plan for this.  But again I'd prefer not to be replacing a crock with a crock.

Having watched our academy players get fucking thumped by A-League "All-Stars" I'm quite certain that there’s none amongst that bunch (Kuol included) who are up to scratch.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OTF said:

I can't see us spending £35m on DCL, even if that's what Everton want. We paid £20m for Wilson and the market has risen substantially since then still £35m for DCL is overs. Wilson has been an excellent signing even accounting for all the time he has missed with injuries and Mrs Wykiki.

We're on the tightrope of FFP and PSR and not wanting to tarnish the hard work we have done thus far to adhere to it I can't see us resorting to Man City and Chelsea style operations where bending of rules end up being tolerated (thus far) due to size and legal position. What that means, especially with no European income, is essentials only whilst we hang onto our best talent and move on anyone non-critical who gives us a balance sheet boost. Just threw up a little in my mouth thinking of Mike Ashley as I formed that last sentence.

I get all of the PSR stuff, but there's still nothing about signing DCL as a replacement for Wilson that looks good to me.  He might prove otherwise, but at this stage I can't see how it's anything but a downgrade.

1 minute ago, OTF said:

Having watched our academy players get fucking thumped by A-League "All-Stars" I'm quite certain that there’s none amongst that bunch (Kuol included) who are up to scratch.

Exactly.  Regardless of any deals for Wilson and DCL, we need an additional striker.

I think the plan is to swap Minteh for DCL and say that it was a £35m value for PSR. I imagine if Minteh to Everton doesn't happen, then DCL to Newcastle won't happen. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I get all of the PSR stuff, but there's still nothing about signing DCL as a replacement for Wilson that looks good to me.  He might prove otherwise, but at this stage I can't see how it's anything but a downgrade.

Being totally honest I actually think DCL is a good player, agressive, athletic with good straight line pace especially for his size. A very good header of the ball, can finish with both feet and is good at getting under the skin of defenders (partly because he's a bit of a wanker). He's better than Wilson is currently but if there could be improvement under Howe I could see him fitting in well, that's if we're interested in him. If we're not he's a complete and utter bellend.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I think the plan is to swap Minteh for DCL and say that it was a £35m value for PSR. I imagine if Minteh to Everton doesn't happen, then DCL to Newcastle won't happen. 

Yeah I was thinking that too.  In that sense and others, I'm hoping Minteh ends up elsewhere.

Just now, OTF said:

Being totally honest I actually think DCL is a good player, agressive, athletic with good straight line pace especially for his size. A very good header of the ball, can finish with both feet and is good at getting under the skin of defenders (partly because he's a bit of a wanker). He's better than Wilson is currently but if there could be improvement under Howe I could see him fitting in well, that's if we're interested in him. If we're not he's a complete and utter bellend.

Nothing about DLC's last three seasons would suggest he's better than Wilson.  He's only ever had two good seasons.  What from I can tell, even Everton supporters don't massively rate him.

19 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Everton will probably be happy significantly lowering the wage bill whilst technically not allowing DCL to whittle down the contract and leave on a free.

• Like 1