Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

He's agreed to go to Bayern according to Ornstein as well. At least that's what I've read indirectly of the Athletic. Apparently even Chelsea couldn't afford the wages he was after. 

20 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Edwards says we’re closing in on Calvert-Lewin. I’m going to be positive and say that this looks underwhelming but will prove to be a bargain

As a replacement for Wilson who’s expected to leave. Seems risky in that sense to me, replacing one perma crock with another still leaves us open, we’d still need a third option to mitigate against that.

I do think DCL is a quality player in his day, and in a better set up could thrive as long as he stays fit.

• Like 1

In fairness to DCL he only missed six games last season in the PL, with a few being for a broken cheekbone, and the others for illness. 32 games is a lot more than Wilson has managed in a long time. The two seasons previous were poor for him injury wise, but as back up to Isak there'll be a lot less pressure on him physically. Last year of his contract and still 27, he could be a bit of a bargain, as has already been said, if Howe et al can negotiate a fair price. 

Edit. Looked at Wilson's stats and he has been available for roughly the same amount of games for a couple of seasons previous to last season, but he was being managed by Howe in terms of minutes where as DCL was starting most games last season. Obviously keeping Wilson as well would be ideal, but that seems unlikely in terms of FFP.

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 2

He was utter shite for most of last season when he wasn’t on injured. The only good thing I can see about this is that Everton are broke and this leaves them with two forwards who managed three goals between them last season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ewerk said:

He was utter shite for most of last season when he wasn’t on injured. The only good thing I can see about this is that Everton are broke and this leaves them with two forwards who managed three goals between them last season.

Don't you start. 🙂 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If anyone can get DCL back to the sort of form that saw his value go up to 60, 70 million it's Howe. I think it's still borderline as to whether DCL will be a permacrock for the rest of his career, but obviously that ship has sailed for Wilson at his age. For five out of the last seven seasons DCL has largely been fit and available to play. Given our financial situation DCL might be the best we can get for how much we want to spend. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

In fairness to DCL he only missed six games last season in the PL, with a few being for a broken cheekbone, and the others for illness. 32 games is a lot more than Wilson has managed in a long time. The two seasons previous were poor for him injury wise, but as back up to Isak there'll be a lot less pressure on him physically. Last year of his contract and still 27, he could be a bit of a bargain, as has already been said, if Howe et al can negotiate a fair price. 

Edit. Looked at Wilson's stats and he has been available for roughly the same amount of games for a couple of seasons previous to last season, but he was being managed by Howe in terms of minutes where as DCL was starting most games last season. Obviously keeping Wilson as well would be ideal, but that seems unlikely in terms of FFP.

IMG_1690.thumb.jpeg.2de036baab306bd5b09db394cc6709e7.jpeg

He's missed 69 games in 3 seasons. DCL, Wilson and Kelly are going to be fighting over the treatment table 

That’ll be two signings this summer both with poor injury records. Given our record last season at keeping players fit it does look like a real risk.

29 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

IMG_1690.thumb.jpeg.2de036baab306bd5b09db394cc6709e7.jpeg

He's missed 69 games in 3 seasons. DCL, Wilson and Kelly are going to be fighting over the treatment table 

I'm aware. That's why I said five out of seven seasons he's largely been available.

7 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I've gotta say, Kelly, Trafford and DCL isn't quite the transfer window I was hoping for to take us to the next level 

giphy.gif

Us chasing after Oliseh suggests that there is space for at least one big statement signing, so don't start wetting your undies yet, there's plenty of time left in the window.

3 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

I'm aware. That's why I said five out of seven seasons he's largely been available.

:lol: 

Alternatively he missed:

6 games last season

29 games the season before

34 games the season before that 

21 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

:lol: 

Alternatively he missed:

6 games last season

29 games the season before

34 games the season before that 

I'm sceptical as well in terms of him being a replacement for Wilson, I said as much a week or two ago when we were linked again, but if he's actually going to be signed there's no point being ultra negative before he's even played a game for us. Those two bad seasons could be a sign of things to come, or it might be a significant blip of an otherwise average career in terms of getting  injured. Wilson unfortunately can be written off at this stage of his career injury wise. And last season six games is relatively little to miss, and he was unfortunate getting a broken cheekbone and being Ill for the other games. I'd be more worried if he was like Wilson last season and seasons before where it's his knees, hamstrings etc over and over again. Albeit Wilson was unfortunate with the pec injury which is the type of injury that rarely happens. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

giphy.gif

Us chasing after Oliseh suggests that there is space for at least one big statement signing, so don't start wetting your undies yet, there's plenty of time left in the window.

the-office-stanley-smirk-6qbbxs0ikzmr019s.gif.16463c126d71a55d949a070f56120dc2.gif

I assume that we bank the transfer fee straight into this year's accounts, but spread the DCL fee over 5 years (and vice versa for Everton).

On a side note, what's to stop us doing this deal and loaning the players straight back to each other? 

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I assume that we bank the transfer fee straight into this year's accounts, but spread the DCL fee over 5 years (and vice versa for Everton).

On a side note, what's to stop us doing this deal and loaning the players straight back to each other? 

that sort of deal would be amazing. 

28 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Minteh going in the other direction apparently.

IMG_1692.thumb.png.e1ff65499fb8f0427c2ae9acbd027c00.pngSurely some sort of FFP swindle this deal?

There’s definitely some FFP tomfoolery going on and not just with us. 

Maatsen from Chelsea to Villa. 35m. 
Kellyman (18 year old!) Villa to Chelsea. 20m.

• Like 1