Eddie Howe

Tom

Just seen Bailey the journo make a decent point, that being that if Howe decides to wait until later in his career there's no guarantee that he'd get a crop of players this good again. And that if Howe is of the opinion that he could conceivably win the next world cup with said players he has a big decision to make. A relatively obvious point, but it is something more to substantial to weigh against his love of day to day club management. I'll not crack open the Pampers just yet, but I'll admit I hadn't even thought about the implications of Howe waiting until later in his career, even if it's, again, not a revelationary point. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Just seen Bailey the journo make a decent point, that being that if Howe decides to wait until later in his career there's no guarantee that he'd get a crop of players this good again. And that if Howe is of the opinion that he could conceivably win the next world cup with said players he has a big decision to make. A relatively obvious point, but it is something more to substantial to weigh against his love of day to day club management. I'll not crack open the Pampers just yet, but I'll admit I hadn't even thought about the implications of Howe waiting until later in his career, even if it's, again, not a revelationary point. 

No, Howe likes the day-to-day and he's got unfinished business with the club. If we'd won stuff already he may be tempted, but he's at an ambitious club, with disgustingly wealthy and supportive owners, a fanbase that loves him and a long, long career ahead of him. 

England are now producing way more talented young players than once they did and by the time he's ready for international football, who knows what standard of player England will have available? 

He's going nowhere and anyone who thinks he is, is just letting fear override reason.

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

No, Howe likes the day-to-day and he's got unfinished business with the club. If we'd won stuff already he may be tempted, but he's at an ambitious club, with disgustingly wealthy and supportive owners, a fanbase that loves him and a long, long career ahead of him. 

England are now producing way more talented young players than once they did and by the time he's ready for international football, who knows what standard of player England will have available? 

He's going nowhere and anyone who thinks he is, is just letting fear override reason.

Nope, don’t agree with the long career necessarily. I think he will be under pressure to deliver this season and I don’t think Pif would think twice about changing manager if things don’t go well.

If I was Howe, I would weigh that pressure against and the likelihood of good backing this transfer window against a pretty sure thing for the next 4-8 years with England.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

I've been saying this on here since Southgate resigned. 

It's a pretty unique opportunity to pick the job up with this good a squad, this young a squad, two years out from a world cup. 

Having said that, it's also a World Cup in North America in the summer. It will be fucking BOILING and our squad will have played more games than most going into the tournament. 

A last 16 tie in Mexico against any non-European side would be a massive struggle, especially with Howe's style of play, which we know he won't compromise on.

It could just as easily be England's earliest WC exit for a while if the players wilt in the heat. 

In fact that might even be the more likely outcome. 

Edited by Gemmill

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

It could just as easily be England's earliest WC exit for a while if the players wilt in the heat. 

In fact that might even be the more likely outcome. 

image.jpeg.cc8d52473f2886141bbce380bbc6e338.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Nope, don’t agree with the long career necessarily. I think he will be under pressure to deliver this season and I don’t think Pif would think twice about changing manager if things don’t go well.

If I was Howe, I would weigh that pressure against and the likelihood of good backing this transfer window against a pretty sure thing for the next 4-8 years with England.

So, lets flip that on it's head, for fun. 

Howe takes the England job, are there many jobs in football under greater scrutiny, greater pressure than managing some of the most overhyped players on the planet, to the satisfaction of a bloodthirsty media and a rabidly expectant fanbase? 4-8yrs of trying and failing to achieve the unlikely success of European or World Cup victories. After that failure his stock will have fallen because of constant criticism from the press and fans, and his career at 50-54yrs old is over. 

Versus doing well at Newcastle (even without winning a trophy) he could move to any number of jobs in the Premier League or abroad.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

So, lets flip that on it's head, for fun. 

Howe takes the England job, are there many jobs in football under greater scrutiny, greater pressure than managing some of the most overhyped players on the planet, to the satisfaction of a bloodthirsty media and a rabidly expectant fanbase? 4-8yrs of trying and failing to achieve the unlikely success of European or World Cup victories. After that failure his stock will have fallen because of constant criticism from the press and fans, and his career at 50-54yrs old is over. 

Versus doing well at Newcastle (even without winning a trophy) he could move to any number of jobs in the Premier League or abroad.

Why are you getting involved in a discussion with el thicko?

7 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Why are you getting involved in a discussion with el thicko?

Sport.

• Haha 2

It’s absolutely the case that Howe will consider it really seriously. For the exact reasons Polarboy mentions. He might decide not to. But I honestly think I’d take it in his position. Even if he’s a failure, the things he’s done here and at Bournemouth had proved his credentials as an excellent club manager so he’ll always have that to fall back on. He’s got a great opportunity here, but we’re kidding ourselves if we think the chance (and it’s a real chance with this group of players) to win the World Cup with England isn’t a bigger draw for just about any manager 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Alex said:

but we’re kidding ourselves if we think the chance (and it’s a real chance with this group of players) to win the World Cup with England isn’t a bigger draw for just about any manager 

Not sure I agree with this part mate. The best managers in the world aren’t international managers anymore, they want to work at club level.

• Like 1

Just now, strawb said:

Not sure I agree with this part mate. The best managers in the world aren’t international managers anymore, they want to work at club level.

Aye, fair point. I still think it would be massively tempting given the players at his disposal and that it might never come along again. Plus, his not being in that ‘elite’ category of managers. Yet, anyway. But he might never be. I guess we don’t know quite how uncertain things are behind the scenes at NUFC either. Anyway, I really hope I’m wrong and someone else gets the role 

• Like 1

The FA were supposedly quoted as saying they had a succession plan in mind - that suggests Carsley (or maybe Potter) to me. Hopefully anyway. 

On 18/07/2024 at 13:27, Toonpack said:

image.jpeg.cc8d52473f2886141bbce380bbc6e338.jpeg

I can’t see them being ranked last in the entire tournament though 

3 minutes ago, NJS said:

The FA were supposedly quoted as saying they had a succession plan in mind - that suggests Carsley (or maybe Potter) to me. Hopefully anyway. 

Apart from for selfish reasons I would like them to at least try that model, ie Carsley. What’s the point in putting that into system into place if you don’t at least then give it a go? 

• Like 2

Be good if they confirm it soon, then it's another thing we (and the media) can put to bed.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Feels like a bit of malaise running through the club at the minute. I’m sure £75m for Mark Guehi will sort that out. 

Only two of that starting 11 today were signed in the last 18 months, it does feel like things have gone a bit stale.

• Like 3

I've seen a few snippets now from Howe now saying that he's not in 'control' of the Transfers and that's with Mitchell.  Did he say similar with Mandy?

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I've seen a few snippets now from Howe now saying that he's not in 'control' of the Transfers and that's with Mitchell.  Did he say similar with Mandy?

Yeah, I think so. He always said he was a step removed etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Dazzler said:

Yeah, I think so. He always said he was a step removed etc.

I read that as he wasn’t involved in doing the deals, but pretty certain he’s involved in the player targeting/selection.