Eddie Howe

Tom

I honestly don’t think he would do it. I don’t think international football is the draw it once was, look across all the nations now and there’s not really any top managers in their prime. It would drive a bloke like Howe mad tbh, we’ve all read and heard about how hands on and hard working he is - the England role isn’t suited to that at all there’s very limited coaching in that role as you get the players so rarely.

I also do think he knows the chance he has here too, this is a role where his only limit is his own ability really he will be able to attract the players he wants, become a legend at a club, etc. The England job could be an option in 20 year when he’s won 17 titles with us. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Howay said:

I honestly don’t think he would do it. I don’t think international football is the draw it once was, look across all the nations now and there’s not really any top managers in their prime. It would drive a bloke like Howe mad tbh, we’ve all read and heard about how hands on and hard working he is - the England role isn’t suited to that at all there’s very limited coaching in that role as you get the players so rarely.

I also do think he knows the chance he has here too, this is a role where his only limit is his own ability really he will be able to attract the players he wants, become a legend at a club, etc. The England job could be an option in 20 year when he’s won 17 titles with us. 

'19'

• Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Howay said:

They used to always say no one’s ever turned the England job down. I bet that hasn’t been true for about 15 years 

• Like 3

Dave, as you well know I'm not a massive fan of the overuse of stats where football is concerned and have always said they are to be used to support a narrative rather than to prove anything. 

The reason I've posted this is I think Kev Lawson has used stats to do just that - support a very succinct, concise and informed narrative. 

With absolutely no disrespect intended, I think it's your delivery rather than the concept itself that gets Toonpack and Spongebob's backs up. You're not making any attempt to engage with them, it's more like ridicule.

Your attitude is often "OMG are you thick?! It's piss easy to understand!"  - without offering to take them on the journey TO understand. This article walks you through it quite well. It's like a Physics teacher stood at the front of a primary school class screaming "How can you not understand Quantum Mechanics, it's simple!"

Like I said, I'm not a big one for football stats, but this was an engaging read.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Craig said:

Dave, as you well know I'm not a massive fan of the overuse of stats where football is concerned and have always said they are to be used to support a narrative rather than to prove anything. 

The reason I've posted this is I think Kev Lawson has used stats to do just that - support a very succinct, concise and informed narrative. 

With absolutely no disrespect intended, I think it's your delivery rather than the concept itself that gets Toonpack and Spongebob's backs up. You're not making any attempt to engage with them, it's more like ridicule.

Your attitude is often "OMG are you thick?! It's piss easy to understand!"  - without offering to take them on the journey TO understand. This article walks you through it quite well. It's like a Physics teacher stood at the front of a primary school class screaming "How can you not understand Quantum Mechanics, it's simple!"

Like I said, I'm not a big one for football stats, but this was an engaging read.

Craig,

Sorry but that's bollocks. I've tried to find out what they don't understand and then explain it, but for some it's not about misunderstanding, it's that they don't like it. Similar but not the same as your position. You think stats should only be used to provide support to a narrative (which roughly aligns with my view), they think they're bollocks.

I've no issue with your position, I do have an issue with people dismissing the value of statistical analysis. It's a huge part of football now, from elite clubs all the way down to commentary. To dismiss it, or call it bollocks is folly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tbh I thought the debate around this on here was largely theatrics for the sake of a bit of grandstanding in a group that otherwise agrees with itself all the time.

Not sure anyone was genuinely wound up by it :lol:

I don't think it's bollocks, but I do agree with you that they're just dismissing them out of hand and that too is wrong. 

Perhaps it's that the debate is so far down the line that common ground on seeing each other's viewpoint as being valid cannot be found, but it does feel in recent times that your attitude towards them has been pre-emptively condescending. That isn't bollocks, that's my observation. 

Simply trying to find a bit of no-mans land whereby you lot don't descend into 3-4 pages of "It's nonsense!", "No, it's not!", "Yes, it is!" Repeat ad infinitum. Most likely wasting my energy in doing so, so as you were....

25 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Craig,

Sorry but that's bollocks. I've tried to find out what they don't understand and then explain it, but for some it's not about misunderstanding, it's that they don't like it. Similar but not the same as your position. You think stats should only be used to provide support to a narrative (which roughly aligns with my view), they think they're bollocks.

I've no issue with your position, I do have an issue with people dismissing the value of statistical analysis. It's a huge part of football now, from elite clubs all the way down to commentary. To dismiss it, or call it bollocks is folly.

can we call it tedious? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Craig,

“folly” :lol:

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Craig,

I've no issue with your position, I do have an issue with people dismissing the value of statistical analysis. It's a huge part of football now, from elite clubs all the way down to commentary. To dismiss it, or call it bollocks is guaranteed to wind Fish up no end, so it's all rather good fun really.

FYP

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Craig said:

I don't think it's bollocks, but I do agree with you that they're just dismissing them out of hand and that too is wrong. 

Perhaps it's that the debate is so far down the line that common ground on seeing each other's viewpoint as being valid cannot be found, but it does feel in recent times that your attitude towards them has been pre-emptively condescending. That isn't bollocks, that's my observation. 

Simply trying to find a bit of no-mans land whereby you lot don't descend into 3-4 pages of "It's nonsense!", "No, it's not!", "Yes, it is!" Repeat ad infinitum. Most likely wasting my energy in doing so, so as you were....

I don’t think stats are nonsense, but saying “mbappe’s xG is 18.674” without any other comparison or context is bollocks. I fully understand it, I just don’t need to revert to stats to make a point or back up an opinion. I don’t mind being proved wrong with stats, but my good friend Dave hasn’t managed to do it yet :lol: Am sure he could, he’s right in some cases that the eyes do indeed lie, but when the best strikers always have a high xG it just reinforces to me that that particular indicator is the indicator of fuck all in isolation 

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I think you're mistaking Dave for me Craig. I straight up call out these FOOLS for the THICK CUNTS that they are and they can FUCKING LUMP IT. 

FFS lay off the raw meat, Scott. :lol:

20 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Can’t think of many other forums where the  alpha male is hung like a Chinese mouse - a so-called accountant with a boner for stats. 

11 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

Ginger as well.

“Just shut up and get in the taxi”

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, The Fish said:

. I've tried to find out what they don't understand and then explain it, but for some it's not about misunderstanding

It's not that I don't like data, I enjoy a well written article as much as the next nerd, I just don't like being patronised by a pompous geography teacher 😉

Anyway I thought we were just being light hearted and didn't realise it was annoying you so much, so I'll stop

Edited by spongebob toonpants
  • Haha 3