Deep shit?

Dr Gloom

fwiw, I agree that there's a tiny chance of us going down, so tiny it's basically smaller than CT's button mushroom on a cold day. 

That said, your PpG forecast model doesn't account for the strength of opposition that each club faces. It reduces every game to a league average. There are some games that are all but unwinnable for the teams down there, (away to Chelsea, Liverpool or Man city e.g.). Also, Everton are more likely to beat Leeds at Goodison than they are Watford, due to their respective strength on the road. Also, Watford have actually only conceded 21 goals on the road, 1 fewer than Man Utd, yet have won 8 fewer points. How does your model handle that shit? huh?

So, in your next draft, please weight the strengths of each team before forecasting.

Ta 

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

fwiw, I agree that there's a tiny chance of us going down, so tiny it's basically smaller than CT's button mushroom on a cold day. 

That said, your PpG forecast model doesn't account for the strength of opposition that each club faces. It reduces every game to a league average. There are some games that are all but unwinnable for the teams down there, (away to Chelsea, Liverpool or Man city e.g.). Also, Everton are more likely to beat Leeds at Goodison than they are Watford, due to their respective strength on the road. Also, Watford have actually only conceded 21 goals on the road, 1 fewer than Man Utd, yet have won 8 fewer points. How does your model handle that shit? huh?

So, in your next draft, please weight the strengths of each team before forecasting.

Ta 

Dave, two things. Firstly, this is a blunt tool designed to show how difficult it would be for us to go down from this position. Secondly, FUCK OFF DAVE. 

• Haha 7

10 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Ta 

it crowd ella GIF

Stats are wonderful but they simply don’t account for teams going on a run (as we have just done) or the quality of teams left to play. 

Burnley have the most games available to play, the most easier teams to play and a reputation for getting out of trouble.

Burnley have Everton, Norwich, West Ham, Southampton & Watford amongst their fixtures in April.

Our April is far tougher.

Im pretty certain 3rd spot won’t be a forgone conclusion come 1st May.

Statistical predictions take into account the things you seem to think they don’t. It’s all based on probable outcomes by taking into account almost every possible result. Of course we could go down but it’s highly unlikely

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Stats are wonderful but they simply don’t account for teams going on a run (as we have just done) or the quality of teams left to play. 

Burnley have the most games available to play, the most easier teams to play and a reputation for getting out of trouble.

Burnley have Everton, Norwich, West Ham, Southampton & Watford amongst their fixtures in April.

Our April is far tougher.

Im pretty certain 3rd spot won’t be a forgone conclusion come 1st May.

Burnley have needed to go on this run that you're so scared of FOR FUCKING AGES. 

They're not waiting until the last minute to start it because they're some Premier League bogeyman that should have us all hiding behind the sofa. It isn't happening because they're fucking shit.

You just wait til they get on a roll. And Everton. And Brentford. And Leeds. 

And if they play one another they'll contrive to BOTH get 3 points (that's why they call them 6 pointers). 

And then they'll ALL overtake us and we'll get relegated. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

And if they play one another they'll contrive to BOTH get 3 points (that's why they call them 6 pointers).

Do we know he definitely doesn't think this?

• Haha 1

But their past PPG does, for the most part, include the reverse fixtures of the games you’ve highlighted as “winnable” for them.  

They also have to play 2 extra fixtures than us squeezed into the same time frame, so the games in hand can be seen as a chance for them but it’s also extra stress and it’s better to have the points on board tbh. 

I get there’s always the chance they can go on some run, but surely we can’t operate and worry under that assumption? Even if they did we are also adding in the small chance we will simply stop picking up points. As Gemmill says too even if Burnley did go on some insane run, they’d be beating everyone around them which impacts those teams chances of going above us. 

Brentford hammered them 2-0 as well last game btw, absolutely played them off the park too, so I’m not sure we can look at the games you listed as really good chances to win. They’re fucking shite. 

I’m also a bit confused why West Ham away has snuck into the list of winnable fixtures for Burnley? We beat them but Burnley haven’t shown anything near what we have. That’s an incredibly tough fixture for them. 

Edited by Howay

47 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

You just wait til they get on a roll. And Everton. And Brentford. And Leeds. 

And then they'll ALL overtake us and we'll get relegated. 

To League One. 

I’m bemused by all this TBH as the point I’m constantly making is a couple of wins simply puts Burnley on 27 points which leaves them only 4 points off us.

That then leaves 4 or 5 clubs in danger of that 3rd spot.

Obviously I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t see anything that leads to the over confidence on display.

Anyway, I’ll give a rest.

4 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I’m bemused by all this TBH as the point I’m constantly making is a couple of wins simply puts Burnley on 27 points which leaves them only 4 points off us.

Obviously I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t see anything that leads to the over confidence on display.

The confidence comes from the 9 points between us and the relegation zone. Relegation would take a monumental fuck up from here - plus unbelievable turnarounds from most of the teams below us. Not impossible but highly unlikely. We probably only need about another four points. Just a question of when rather than if we get them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

I wouldn't say it's overconfidence. It's being fairly realistic tbh, I think people are just trying to prove out why they have this "over confident" view.

There's just absolutely no evidence Burnley will go on some run, they could but we could also win every game the rest of the season - which actually probably has a higher chance given the way we play v they play.

Out of interest I looked at the "strength" of fixtures all the teams we discuss have left, I also added in a "normalized" average which basically took out the 2 postponed fixtures for Everton and Burnley, I gave them all 6 points from those games to show where things would stand. 

image.png.bd3c67402e9d89a74158720b2300ec80.png

I genuinely don't think it's as clear cut that we have some horrendous run compared to others. Obviously it's based on current league position so it has assumptions in it, but it's more objective than expecting some sudden run from Burnley.

I added Brighton as people have been ignoring them, but they're 2 points above us so if we're in it they are too, especially on the back of 6 losses on the bounce and a really fucking difficult fixture list, they play more games away than home and the average position of the away sides they play is Europa League chasing sides :lol:.

I think the takeaway really is we're 10 points clear of the only team in the relegation zone you could ever argue can catch us (Watford are totally fucked), and our fixture lists aren't absurdly different in strength.

Edited by Howay
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Don't panic.gif

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Bemused by people pointing out what you’re worried about is highly unlikely? :lol: