The new manager thread

Polarboy

42 minutes ago, Howay said:

I agree with others that they really need a footballing structure in place ASAP. It’s taken far to long to bring a manager in, and the approach has seemed a bit haphazard especially if this week was the first time contacting Emery. If the options here are Emery or Howe that’s also fucking weird, it could of course be the media just making shit up but that’s a hell of a difference in terms of stature and quality. If we get Howe I’m doubtful we’d stay up tbh, the bloke was a disaster at Burnley and has only ever achieved some level of success with one club. 

Fwiw it does seem a bit like posturing from either the Villarreal chairman (to try and hang on to Emery) or Emerys agent (contract negotiations starting), as it just seems a weird turnaround for Emery to have discussed with the chairman, then went out of his way to not deny it to the press, only to then hours later supposedly leak to only Balague that he’s not interested. 

Here in Spain people are saying the offer would be well for Emery and Villarreal. 

I explain.

Villarreal signed Emery with a high value, because he came from PSG and Arsenal. Villarreal is not a team that has a lot of money and pays its players too much. They may have made an effort for Emery.

Last year, Emery did very well. The team was doing well in the league and ended up winning the Europa League. They could have finished higher in the League, but in recent weeks they focused more on the Europa League because if they won it they would get access to the Champions League.

This year, Villarreal has not started well at all. In the League, they have only achieved two victories in 11 games. They are currently 13th classified, 11 points from 4th and 8 points from 6th (last EL positition). It is fair to say that important players such as Gerard Moreno, Dani Parejo and Pau Torres have been injured and absent.

What I mean. This year, making a good classification in the League seems complicated. Atletico, Real Madrid and Barcelona should be ahead. Real Sociedad and Sevilla are incredibly strong and there are other teams in a better situation like Betis and Athletic Bilbao and Valencia (including Rayo and Osasuna). What is the future of Villarreal in this Champions League? If they make it to the round, the round of 16 is probably their limit. If they fall as third in groups, maybe they have a good way in the Europa League.

But it is possible that in two months, Villarreal will be in the middle of the table in the League and out of the Champions League. Which would certainly be a not-so-good season. And that perhaps, Villarreal began to think about firing Emery. Having to pay you a large compensation.

Wouldn't it make sense to let him go now, save the compensation and on top of it receive the 6 million of his clause?

That is the more or less general opinion in Spanish football on the matter.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Diego21 said:

Here in Spain people are saying the offer would be well for Emery and Villarreal. 

I explain.

Villarreal signed Emery with a high value, because he came from PSG and Arsenal. Villarreal is not a team that has a lot of money and pays its players too much. They may have made an effort for Emery.

Last year, Emery did very well. The team was doing well in the league and ended up winning the Europa League. They could have finished higher in the League, but in recent weeks they focused more on the Europa League because if they won it they would get access to the Champions League.

This year, Villarreal has not started well at all. In the League, they have only achieved two victories in 11 games. They are currently 13th classified, 11 points from 4th and 8 points from 6th (last EL positition). It is fair to say that important players such as Gerard Moreno, Dani Parejo and Pau Torres have been injured and absent.

What I mean. This year, making a good classification in the League seems complicated. Atletico, Real Madrid and Barcelona should be ahead. Real Sociedad and Sevilla are incredibly strong and there are other teams in a better situation like Betis and Athletic Bilbao and Valencia (including Rayo and Osasuna). What is the future of Villarreal in this Champions League? If they make it to the round, the round of 16 is probably their limit. If they fall as third in groups, maybe they have a good way in the Europa League.

But it is possible that in two months, Villarreal will be in the middle of the table in the League and out of the Champions League. Which would certainly be a not-so-good season. And that perhaps, Villarreal began to think about firing Emery. Having to pay you a large compensation.

Wouldn't it make sense to let him go now, save the compensation and on top of it receive the 6 million of his clause?

That is the more or less general opinion in Spanish football on the matter.

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, Howay said:

If we end up with Eddie Howe that’s tragic tbh :lol: Not just because I think he’s a fairly shit manager, but also because he could have been appointed day 1 and it’ll have took them a month to end up with him. 

Good point. Heading into our 4th game post takeover with a mighty 1 point on the board in that time. I'd rather we threw an open cheque book at Potter tbh. He's got shit players playing well. Howe got shit players playing pretty shit still which is exactly what we don't need with all of our shit players 

• Like 2

If we get Howe I feel like I've been Jim Bowen'd 'Here's who you could have had'

Howe is still a step up from Bruce.  I just cannot see how he's going to attract the calibre of player we need in Jan tbh.

• Like 1

I do feel many of us are jumping the gun a bit on the manager malarkey. Eddie Howe would be a good appointment in the short-term in my opinion. I reckon he can keep us up, and give him another season to develop the squad. He is a good manager and young. Longer-term, yes we need someone with more world football appeal but that can happen later. Guess that's where my view differs from others, we have the resources and owners who are here for the long term. Let's build slowly and surely. Nothing will stop us getting to our goals in the long term. The next 20 years are going to be very different to the last and that is something to be delighted about.

It's all become a bit of a damp squib, long view can't be anything but bright (although this everything has to be signed off by PIF is a worry) but initial impressions are shite tbh. Bruce should have been peddled day 1 it made zero football sense to keep him, the SD shite should have been down Day 1 (would Ashley really have scuppered the deal if they'd said NAH!) and now this managerial circus.

They've an awful lot to learn it would appear.

The euphoria is being replaced by same old, same old, Newcastle.

Richest club in the world now shopping in poundland.

Edited by Toonpack

7 minutes ago, magpieasprilla said:

I do feel many of us are jumping the gun a bit on the manager malarkey. Eddie Howe would be a good appointment in the short-term in my opinion. I reckon he can keep us up, and give him another season to develop the squad. He is a good manager and young. Longer-term, yes we need someone with more world football appeal but that can happen later. Guess that's where my view differs from others, we have the resources and owners who are here for the long term. Let's build slowly and surely. Nothing will stop us getting to our goals in the long term. The next 20 years are going to be very different to the last and that is something to be delighted about.

image.png.f5a2a99b35d3ec74249e79efd0a73c06.png

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Good point. Heading into our 4th game post takeover with a mighty 1 point on the board in that time. I'd rather we threw an open cheque book at Potter tbh. He's got shit players playing well. Howe got shit players playing pretty shit still which is exactly what we don't need with all of our shit players 

That Brighton squad is underrated. Some real quality players there tbf but Potter is definitely class. You just see the respect that gets put on his name by Pep and Klopp and you know he is doing something special. Howe had a poor season with a terrible squad but he has shown enough at other times to suggest he'd be decent. Potter aint leaving Brighton right now anyway.

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

This is why Penfold needs fucking pedalling ASAP

Fucking ludicrous that we have all the money in the world, but we let a bloke who is waiting to be sacked take the lead in convincing potential managers of the clubs vision for the future. 

Which is why it's also mental that we haven't pulled the trigger on a DOF yet. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

This is why Penfold needs fucking pedalling ASAP

The lady doth protest too much. He sounds like his mum the way he was so adamant that it was nothing to do with money. 

• Polarboy changed the title to Who do you want as the next manager? Howe, for now.
  • Meenzer changed the title to The new manager thread