The new manager thread

Polarboy

If we're struggling to get our top targets I'd be more than happy for Nuno to get it. I mean if it were a choice between him and Martinez it's no contest. Nuno was unfortunate in the mess he inherited with the Kane situation, and Spurs didn't really do any big business, for a club of their size, in the transfer market this past summer. And obviously Nuno knows what it's like to be in the bottom half of the table. Although I don't place as much importance on the aforementioned as some. Some pundits would have you believe that it would be better to get Fat Sam over a highly experienced and highly rated European coach, just because he has a record of managing shit teams.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

If Spurs do sack Nuno then they'll definitely be looking at the same calibre of manager as we are. It's about time our lot made their minds up.

If any of our preferred choices picks Spurs over us, then he wouldn't be the right man anyway. I know they are further ahead, but there's a ceiling for Spurs, and they'd be dealing with Levy. Long term, Newcastle will give the right manager a lot more options. 

That said, I still think a few managers would pick Spurs right now given the choice. 

3 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

If we're struggling to get our top targets I'd be more than happy for Nuno to get it. I mean if it were a choice between him and Martinez it's no contest. Nuno was unfortunate in the mess he inherited with the Kane situation, and Spurs didn't really do any big business, for a club of their size, in the transfer market this past summer. And obviously Nuno knows what it's like to be in the bottom half of the table. Although I don't place as much importance on the aforementioned as some. Some pundits would have you believe that it would be better to get Fat Sam over a highly experienced and highly rated European coach, just because he has a record of managing shit teams.

I don't want Nuno, never really liked his defensive style. If we're going down that route I would prefer Mourinho or Rafa, at least they've got the trophies to show for it. But personally I would rather we change direction and go back to a more attacking style. Tricky perhaps given our current predicament, but if we survive, we'll be all the better for it. 

If Luke Edwards is right, which seems unlikely in fairness, the club are looking for someone who's out of work and who has experience of working in the league. That Leaves you with Emery, Martinez, Lampard, Howe, Terry, and now Nuno, at least of the people who've been seriously mentioned so far. I suppose there's an outside chance of Rafa if they get a spanking off a managerless Spurs at the weekend. Terry seems unlikely given he literally has zero experience as a number 1. I'd take either Emery or Nuno, but obviously the ideal scenario is for Everton to get tonked 7-0 at Goodison, and for the Everton board to get an itchy trigger finger with the Everton fans at the ready with pigs blood and a horse head to create an effigy of some sort. 

Edited by Polarboy

18 minutes ago, Alan Doh'liver said:

I don't want Nuno, never really liked his defensive style. If we're going down that route I would prefer Mourinho or Rafa, at least they've got the trophies to show for it. But personally I would rather we change direction and go back to a more attacking style. Tricky perhaps given our current predicament, but if we survive, we'll be all the better for it. 

This season is literally just about survival at this point. If we can get in an experienced, competent manager it doesn't matter what their style is. Football purity will do us no good if we get relegated and it puts back the rebuild project years. As for Mourinho if I didn't know better I'd presume he'd gone senile the way he's acted the last five years or so.

Edit. It should also be said that the next manager we get will likely only be here for about a season and a half, maybe a bit more, before we bring in an elite manager with the club stabilised, a few players added, and we're a much more enticing prospect.

Edited by Polarboy

24 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

If Luke Edwards is right, which seems unlikely in fairness, the club are looking for someone who's out of work and who has experience of working in the league. That Leaves you with Emery, Martinez, Lampard, Howe, Terry, and now Nuno, at least of the people who've been seriously mentioned so far. I suppose there's an outside chance of Rafa if they get a spanking off a managerless Spurs at the weekend. Terry seems unlikely given he literally has zero experience as a number 1. I'd take either Emery or Nuno, but obviously the ideal scenario is for Everton to get tonked 7-0 at Goodison, and for the Everton board to get an itchy trigger finger with the Everton fans at the ready with pigs blood and a horse head to create an effigy of some sort. 

Emery being unemployed will be news to him.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Emery being unemployed will be news to him.

😄 Yeah, might be alright. I'd completely forgotten he was still at Villarreal when I was listing out the names. He might be easy enough to get out of his contract though.

Edited by Polarboy

According to Romano Conte worked with Spurs' Italian DOF at Juventus some years back, so that likely explains the speed at which that appointment seems to be happening, and why Conte is seemingly so willing to accept. He might get a rude awakening when he has to deal with Levy.

Man U will be furious if Conte ends up at Spurs. There was that headline in the Times yesterday screaming that Ole should still be sacked despite winning on Saturday. Football journos are good at lecturing geordies, but when it's their own precious teams they start losing their shit pretty quickly. 

Nuno hounded out after three months, but barely a word about his treatment. Bruce, on the other hand, with the lowest PPG of any permanent manager during Ashley's reign, was hounded out by hordes of malicious Geordies, ungrateful northern mankeys, etc etc. 

Spurs are rotten, if I were a manager looking to build something I'd steer far clear. Levy runs that club, you'll never be able to realize any sort of vision as long as he's at the reins. 

• Like 4

Edwards is so full of shit. Why the fuck would the club restrict itself to managers who are currently out of work? My guess is he thought the most likely outcome would be us getting a manager currently unemployed with PL experience so he said that’s what the club was targeting. That way he could claim he had the inside track. If Emery arrives it’ll be another of his little nuggets of shite that has backfired. He didn’t even know what was happening when he was getting his info direct from the manager. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Obviously it's highly unlikely to happen given the present form of each team, and also a patently obvious thing to say given our position, but fuck could we do with three points against Brighton. With Watford away to Arsenal, Burnley away to Chelsea. Norwich away to Brentford, and Southampton and Villa playing each other, it would be the perfect time to make up some ground. Of course it's far more likely we'll get a similar tonking to the last one we got off Brighton.

Edited by Polarboy

47 minutes ago, Alan Doh'liver said:

Wow. We're keen to pay a huge transfer fee to Villareal to get him over here. Really. I want to believe though, so just get it done. 

He has less than two years left on his contract and I can't imagine that Villareal are paying him a massive wage so I don't know where this idea has come from that it's going to be uber expensive to get him.

• Like 1

• Polarboy changed the title to Who do you want as the next manager? Howe, for now.
  • Meenzer changed the title to The new manager thread