The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

57 minutes ago, 247 said:

That sounds like there might still be a deal to be done if we come back with a better offer. Same goes for a lot of clubs. I reckon it’ll be the same with Botman and Carlos. 

It’s a dance. We’re not used to it because for years we haven’t even been at the party. Clubs can smell our desperation. A lot of them will sing a different tune in the final days of the window. Problem is we needed new players in yesterday. 

Here’s the thing, get relegated and we will be fucked by FFP as with the new “rules” a championship promoted club will not be given a tier sponsorship value that a current PL club is allocated (the PL has made sure will be fucked with their new rules with this), so they really need to bite the bullet and pull out all stops to not get relegated.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sammynb said:

Here’s the thing, get relegated and we will be fucked by FFP as with the new “rules” a championship promoted club will not be given a tier sponsorship value that a current PL club is allocated (the PL has made sure will be fucked with their new rules with this), so they really need to bite the bullet and pull out all stops to not get relegated.

Apparently going down though will be ok as we will only be down a season

By the sounds of it, although the overall sum we’re offering for these players is decent (€35+), the lion’s share of it is tied to contingencies.

So you can bet that there’s a big chunk of that tied to us staying up. Plus if there is a clause about us winning the Champions League, it’s no real surprise the selling club is telling us to get fucked. 

6 minutes ago, MrBass said:

By the sounds of it, although the overall sum we’re offering for these players is decent (€35+), the lion’s share of it is tied to contingencies.

So you can bet that there’s a big chunk of that tied to us staying up. Plus if there is a clause about us winning the Champions League, it’s no real surprise the selling club is telling us to get fucked. 

It appears that way.  They do realise time is running out? They're not negotiating for a new oil pump or something. 

This from The Atheletic

Let’s start with the business they still want to do — which positions are they actively looking to strengthen?

Come February 1, ideally, Newcastle will have signed — on top of Kieran Trippier and Chris Wood — two new centre-backs, a left-back, at least one central midfielder and another forward, while even a goalkeeper addition has not been ruled out.

:lol:

They do go on and say about whether that happens or not.  Have they not seen how this window is panning out?

46 minutes ago, MrBass said:

Aye, if I were a selling club I wouldn’t want any of that nonsense as part of the deal.

Fair enough if it’s added on top of the asking price or you’re very close in terms of a deal but if they’re looking €35m and we’re saying the last €10m is contingent on us achieving X, Y and Z then that’s not going to work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

They do realise time is running out? 

It's astounding

Time is fleeting

Madness takes its toll

But listen closely

(Not for very much longer)

You’ve  got to keep control

I remember doing the Window

Drinking those moments when

The blackness would hit me

And Ashley be stalling

It’s transfer window again

It’s just a one for the left

We’ve sorted out the right

Sort out the midfield clips

To bend the balls out wide

But it’s the in the knows

That really drive you insane

2 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

It's astounding

Time is fleeting

Madness takes its toll

But listen closely

(Not for very much longer)

You’ve  got to keep control

I remember doing the Window

Drinking those moments when

The blackness would hit me

And Ashley be stalling

It’s just a one for the left

We’ve sorted out the right

Sort out the midfield clips

To bend the balls out wide

But it’s the in the knows

That really drive you insane

You should apologise to octopodes for this waste of ink, even though no ink was involved. 

Then jump off a cliff. :lol:

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Wait til deadline day and I work through ABBA….

Gime gime gime a man before midnight..

Always a bonus when you can work your Friday night mantra into a post about Newcastle transfers. :tongue:

• Haha 5

Given the obvious nightmare they're having with Carlos/any good CB, I'd put that on the backburner today and just go all out to get Lingard pushed through in a hurry. 

He's not getting games for Man United, there's not huge competition for signing him (yet) cos his contract is up in the summer (although that could change if we start to make progress on a signing), so there should be much less resistance from the selling club to get this one done. 

Obviously remains to be seen if Lingard is keen but only one way to find out. 

• Like 2

• Tom locked this topic