The Entirely Reasonable Potential Transfers Thread

Ayatollah Hermione

I see Wijnaldum is being linked with us again on the back of him apparently being unsettled at PSG through lack of game time. It could just be people adding two and two and getting five given he's benched, we have a lot of money, and he used to play for us. If there is anything to it he's exactly the type of versatile high quality, box to box midfielder that we're crying out for. Personally I couldn't care less that he jumped ship from us, because could you blame any player with ambition and talent for leaving us when Ashley was in charge. The only thing I can see scuppering it is that Wini's ego might come into play. You can't take much more of a backward step than leaving PSG to go back to your old club who are in a relegation fight. The promise of better times would take some faith on his part, but even then he's 31, so he doesn't really have time to be dreaming of what we may become down the line. 

3 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

I see Wijnaldum is being linked with us again on the back of him apparently being unsettled at PSG through lack of game time. It could just be people adding two and two and getting five given he's benched, we have a lot of money, and he used to play for us. If there is anything to it he's exactly the type of versatile high quality, box to box midfielder that we're crying out for. Personally I couldn't care less that he jumped ship from us, because could you blame any player with ambition and talent for leaving us when Ashley was in charge. The only thing I can see scuppering it is that Wini's ego might come into play. You can't take much more of a backward step than leaving PSG to go back to your old club who are in a relegation fight. The promise of better times would take some faith on his part, but even then he's 31, so he doesn't really have time to be dreaming of what we may become down the line. 

Loan move maybe. He disappeared away from home at times in what turned out to be a relegation season but I would have him back in a shot 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alex said:

Loan move maybe. He disappeared away from home at times in what turned out to be a relegation season but I would have him back in a shot 

Yeah I imagine most of our business will be loans with options to buy given the position we find ourselves in. So perhaps he'd be willing if it was a loan. Having said that a player needs decent character to come into what could be a tough situation. Can you imagine if he came in and he was relegated with us for a second time. It really doesn't bear thinking about. Our business will of course depend largely on how well we do in the league between now and the window. Of course it seems unlikely that we won't at least be close to the bottom three given the mountain that Bruce, Ashley, and the players have left us to climb. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Although, on second thoughts, PSG wouldn’t let him come here, Shirley. Given the erm ‘regional climate’ 

Well they came to an accommodation over the piracy thing, with Saudi paying them a billion iirc in compensation. So I'd say it's not beyond the realms of possibility that relations have thawed enough for them to do business in other areas. 

• Like 3

mbappe back on the cards according to emmanuel petit and the express...

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1526424/Newcastle-transfer-news-Kylian-Mbappe-PSG-Premier-League-Real-Madrid

alexandre laccazette according to some random Italian paper...

https://m.calciomercato.com/news/milan-sfida-con-atletico-madrid-e-newcastle-per-un-attaccante-59090

and trippier according to the sun

(not linking the sun, and probably shouldn't the express!)

anyway, regardless of how fanciful these are it's nice to see us popping up again on the bbc's gossip column after years of ashley neglect! 

7 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

He would, but unless we triple his wages you would imagine one of the other "Top 7" (😉) would be a more attractive option than a relegation fight with us 

isn't he a yorkshire lad though? might not be put off by the "grim up north" factor. offer him fat stacks and a relegation release clause 

6 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

nice to see us popping up again on the bbc's gossip column after years of ashley neglect! 

Great that the BBC are managing to profit from this awful Saudi buyout too

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Surly £10m would get Tarkowski? 

He is worth considerably more to Burnley, if he keeps them in the PL.  Yes, in normal circumstances, but they are not going to want to lose him to a relegation rival.

• Like 1

• Tom locked this topic