Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

Lads, can I ask for an honest opinion?

I was planning to go back across to Newcastle for Christmas to stay with my dad for a few days. It'll take me two trains to get there though (I don't drive), and two back again. There's a likelihood of elderly people being present, my Grandma is nearly 100 and she's going to be around.. I want to go but is it just a stupid risk for people I care about? I'm struggling to make a rational choice, which I think means that I know the answer already, but I want someone else to say it anyway.

11 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I was planning to go back across to Newcastle for Christmas to stay with my dad for a few days. It'll take me two trains to get there though (I don't drive), and two back again. There's a likelihood of elderly people being present, my Grandma is nearly 100 and she's going to be around.. I want to go but is it just a stupid risk for people I care about? I'm struggling to make a rational choice, which I think means that I know the answer already, but I want someone else to say it anyway.

Is driving an option? That cuts the risk massively.

Edit - I mean, can someone give you a lift? I doubt you’d be able to take an intensive driving course in time 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

All depends how the older ones feel. At 100, how many xmases has someone got left? She might have the view of Im making the most of my time left. Seems she’s already taken the decision to mix.

If the family’s general view is caution then I wouldn’t go near.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Is driving an option? That cuts the risk massively  

No, I don't drive and live too remotely to be 'collected'.

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

What about lashing £150 on a taxi or something daft like that? Depends how far away you are but much safer than trains and you could just get trains back. 

This isn't actually a bad idea tbh, I'll give it some thought. Cheers.

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

What about lashing £150 on a taxi or something daft like that? Depends how far away you are but much safer than trains and you could just get trains back. 

It’s probably cheaper than a train too, and you’ll get direct to your dad’s house without needing to use a bus or metro.  

Where are you travelling from Rayvin? 

What’s the infection rate like where you are? 

It’s such shit timing isn’t it. Why couldn’t this surge have happened in January, which, let’s face it, is always boring as fuck.

I just cancelled my annual Christmas pissup with mates. Even though I we’d reserved an outdoor table, the consensus was that it’s not worth the risk of everyone getting trains and taxis to the boozer (then queuing at the bar/toilets etc) so close to Christmas when we’re all planning to see elderly relatives. 

2 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

It’s probably cheaper than a train too, and you’ll get direct to your dad’s house without needing to use a bus or metro.  

Where are you travelling from Rayvin? 

What’s the infection rate like where you are? 

I'm out in Lanarkshire, south of Glasgow. Infection rate is a good question, looks slightly above the national average? Not sure exactly how to get the info but found that much:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/search?postcode=ML8 4NZ

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I'm out in Lanarkshire, south of Glasgow. Infection rate is a good question, looks slightly above the national average? Not sure exactly how to get the info but found that much:

If where you are is pretty rural, and you’ve kept yourself to yourself, you’re probably at far less risk of infection than somewhere urban with a lower infection rate, tbh. 

Hibernate until CT turns up at your door with a bucket of spoons and a blonde wig. :lol:

• Haha 1

This thing is fucking flying now. I can definitely see 100,000+ new infections when numbers are released soon.

The UK has reported 10,059 more Omicron cases - three times as many as were recorded yesterday.

It takes the total number of cases of the new variant to 24,968.

Yesterday, 3,201 cases were reported.

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Looking like a circuit breaker after Christmas possibly. I don't know why they wouldn't tbh. If they could do it from boxing day onwards it would save me going to a gathering of the in-laws too. 

Apparently SAGE have said the circuit breaker should happen before Xmas, as after will be to late.

Loads of beeping going on round mine. Dunno if it's on the A1 but I assume it's daft shites protesting the covid passports cos I gather there's a collection of dipshits in London today. 

I mean heaven forbid you would take a simple test before gathering with lots of other people. There's a significant proportion of the human race deserves this pandemic. 

3 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Mate, I love Scotland, but it is a very heterogeneous place, so I'm not convinced on your location! 

I think most people in their final years would take the (minimal) risk to see younger family. I think the idea of taxiing that distance is a bit daft, but I guess check it out. Wear masks, sanitise, and regular LFTs, but do it, is my advice.