Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Going The Distance

Advance preview of a Drew Barrymore rom-com that's out next month. I feared the worst but went along for brownie points since it was free. Wasn't all that bad to be honest. Christina Applegate is my favourite bit of milf of all time so it was good to watch her talk about how much she likes dry humping.

Inception

Really enjoyed it. There's some films (specifically thinking of Shawshank Redemption) that get their endings so fucked up you wonder who makes such idiotic decisions. After Batman, I guess Nolan has the clout to do a brilliant ending like this without interference. Not sure it should have knocked The Good The Bad And The Ugly or Godfather II down a place on the IMDB top 250 like it has, but definitley an instant classic.

After that review of Inception Nicos I'm sadly going to have to adjust my list of people who know about films on here.

1 Sloop John

2 Alex

3 Parky

4 2J

5 Meenzer/Chez

6 Acid

7 Dan the Man

8 The fish

9 kevin

10 Happy Face.

I was going to be offended, but you're probably right. (apart from the HF being bottom like) :angry:

Dave the fact you're only one better than kevin should upset you more.

Going The Distance

Advance preview of a Drew Barrymore rom-com that's out next month. I feared the worst but went along for brownie points since it was free. Wasn't all that bad to be honest. Christina Applegate is my favourite bit of milf of all time so it was good to watch her talk about how much she likes dry humping.

Inception

Really enjoyed it. There's some films (specifically thinking of Shawshank Redemption) that get their endings so fucked up you wonder who makes such idiotic decisions. After Batman, I guess Nolan has the clout to do a brilliant ending like this without interference. Not sure it should have knocked The Good The Bad And The Ugly or Godfather II down a place on the IMDB top 250 like it has, but definitley an instant classic.

After that review of Inception Nicos I'm sadly going to have to adjust my list of people who know about films on here.

1 Sloop John

2 Alex

3 Parky

4 2J

5 Meenzer/Chez

6 Acid

7 Dan the Man

8 The fish

9 kevin

10 Happy Face.

You've got some nerve Parky. You're the least reliable contributor to the film thread there is. Your entire opinion on all films depends on whether you were predisposed to like it. In this case, clearly you weren't...

Reading the posts about Inception and with Leanardo de Lovely in it...All the warning signs are there. Surely the last thing you want is this babyface porker with one grimace destroying every carefully crafted scene? He can't do aggressive or angry without me bursting out laughing. He does confused and concerned quite well.

If you have actually seen it (and it's a big if) it's clearly neither here nor there. :angry:

I lost a canny bit of sleep last night still thinking about Inception. It's like a massive experimental film. It reminded me of Timecode, the Mike Figgis film which splits the screen into 4 and tells linked stories that all come together brilliantly at one point.

But each of the stories in that film can become dull. Inception is always entertaining and if anything, was more difficult to pull off technically. When the rules of film were being written a hundred odd years ago, people had to learn how to have one character facing one way before cutting to another character facing the other way, then you’d know they were talking to each other. Have them both facing off the same end of the screen and the audience get lost. That’s one tiny rule that has to be obeyed amongst hundreds for a story to flow. Timecode got around the difficulty of implementing those by just using a continuous shot in each quadrant. Very difficult in itself, but it meant there was no need for a complex editing job whereby the same characters would be criss-crossing in each others stories.

Synecdoche, New York has a similar premise to Inception too, but it uses different actors playing the part of actors who play the same people in the film. As much as I love it, there was never any question of confusing Caden with the actor playing Caden in his play, or with the other Caden playing the actor in that Caden’s play. They were different actors in different roles and the normal rules of film applied despite the fantastic premise.

Inception has 5 separate realities with the same 6 or 7 characters played by the same actors. The film cuts back and forth across all of these realities throughout it’s duration and it does it impeccably, even from close ups in one reality to close ups in another. Ensuring the viewer knows where they are is a huge task. After the initial set-up, at no point was I confused about which dream I was in. I occasionally had no idea who was dreaming or why they were doing what they were doing, but that was intentional. I was in safe hands and always knew how deep I was in the dream levels. Some of the criticism of how Nolan achieved it means discarding that achievement. One reality is a snowy mountain, one a retro hotel, one a futuristic wasteland. I’ve read some critics slagging off the device of using different palettes like that. There’s no reason whatsoever to have one reality on a snowy mountain…..other than it keeps you from getting completely lost as to which people are doing what in which dream. That’s a pretty good reason for it if you ask me though. Perhaps if Transformers 2 had used some similar device that would have allowed me to follow the plot it would have been a better film for it.

If it was only the technical achievement it would be good, but the story and the central character are compelling too. None of the other characters are developed at all apart from Fischer Junior. But again, I don’t see why that’s a problem. The film’s not really about them.

Really glad I eventually caught it on the big screen before it ends it’s run. There’s very few shows on now, but the one I was at was almost full so hopefully it’ll stay on the odd screen for a while yet and I can go back for a second viewing.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Watching Paranormal Activity over the weekend, canny enough, but not as scary as I'd been told. I love the style of the film though it gives it that realism to it. Canny scary when the lass gets dragged oot of bed and along the corridor though.

Also seen Slumdog Millionaire, absolutely fantastic film, thank fuck I'm English. Bit of a tear jerker like to say the least if you're a lass or a fanny.

Transformers 2

Ridiculously bad. Still wasn't sure which robots were goodies and which were baddies. Still couldn't make out what was going on in fights and chaces. Still not sure why the baddies want the sun or the goodies want to stop them getting the sun. The worst thing was the deceptacon they brought over to their side. It looked like a shitty weightless remote control truck (which it was) most of the time, then it would transform into a lush weighty robot with speed and suspension....then it would change back and trundle along like something from a home video. Actually, that might not have been as bad as the two new robots with atitoooooood. :angry:

Planet 51

Canny little animation that does ET in reverse (Human goes to space and alien helps him get home). I got pretty bored later on but there's some good references to older sci-fi films to enjoy.

Edited by Happy Face

Transformers 2

Ridiculously bad. Still wasn't sure which robots were goodies and which were baddies. Still couldn't make out what was going on in fights and chaces. Still not sure why the baddies want the sun or the goodies want to stop them getting the sun. The worst thing was the deceptacon they brought over to their side. It looked like a shitty weightless remote control truck (which it was) most of the time, then it would transform into a lush weighty robot with speed and suspension....then it would change back and trundle along like something from a home video. Actually, that might not have been as bad as the two new robots with atitoooooood. :angry:

1st film that I think I've ever stopped watching. Shockingly bad. I felt insulted.

I couldn't watch the first one. The lass out of it has been in a few things since as well. She's fit but she's as wooden as my cock at 6 am.

Going The Distance

Inception

1 Sloop John

2 Alex

3 Parky

4 2J

5 Meenzer/Chez

6 Acid

7 Dan the Man

8 The fish

9 kevin

10 Happy Face.

You've got some nerve Parky. You're the least reliable contributor to the film thread there is. Your entire opinion on all films depends on whether you were predisposed to like it. In this case, clearly you weren't...

Reading the posts about Inception and with Leanardo de Lovely in it...All the warning signs are there. Surely the last thing you want is this babyface porker with one grimace destroying every carefully crafted scene? He can't do aggressive or angry without me bursting out laughing. He does confused and concerned quite well.

If you have actually seen it (and it's a big if) it's clearly neither here nor there. :angry:

I lost a canny bit of sleep last night still thinking about Inception. It's like a massive experimental film. It reminded me of Timecode, the Mike Figgis film which splits the screen into 4 and tells linked stories that all come together brilliantly at one point.

But each of the stories in that film can become dull. Inception is always entertaining and if anything, was more difficult to pull off technically. When the rules of film were being written a hundred odd years ago, people had to learn how to have one character facing one way before cutting to another character facing the other way, then you’d know they were talking to each other. Have them both facing off the same end of the screen and the audience get lost. That’s one tiny rule that has to be obeyed amongst hundreds for a story to flow. Timecode got around the difficulty of implementing those by just using a continuous shot in each quadrant. Very difficult in itself, but it meant there was no need for a complex editing job whereby the same characters would be criss-crossing in each others stories.

Synecdoche, New York has a similar premise to Inception too, but it uses different actors playing the part of actors who play the same people in the film. As much as I love it, there was never any question of confusing Caden with the actor playing Caden in his play, or with the other Caden playing the actor in that Caden’s play. They were different actors in different roles and the normal rules of film applied despite the fantastic premise.

Inception has 5 separate realities with the same 6 or 7 characters played by the same actors. The film cuts back and forth across all of these realities throughout it’s duration and it does it impeccably, even from close ups in one reality to close ups in another. Ensuring the viewer knows where they are is a huge task. After the initial set-up, at no point was I confused about which dream I was in. I occasionally had no idea who was dreaming or why they were doing what they were doing, but that was intentional. I was in safe hands and always knew how deep I was in the dream levels. Some of the criticism of how Nolan achieved it means discarding that achievement. One reality is a snowy mountain, one a retro hotel, one a futuristic wasteland. I’ve read some critics slagging off the device of using different palettes like that. There’s no reason whatsoever to have one reality on a snowy mountain…..other than it keeps you from getting completely lost as to which people are doing what in which dream. That’s a pretty good reason for it if you ask me though. Perhaps if Transformers 2 had used some similar device that would have allowed me to follow the plot it would have been a better film for it.

If it was only the technical achievement it would be good, but the story and the central character are compelling too. None of the other characters are developed at all apart from Fischer Junior. But again, I don’t see why that’s a problem. The film’s not really about them.

Really glad I eventually caught it on the big screen before it ends it’s run. There’s very few shows on now, but the one I was at was almost full so hopefully it’ll stay on the odd screen for a while yet and I can go back for a second viewing.

With the CGI and the the way digital post production is these days, continuity across various 'realities' isn't really that difficult, nor is the positioning of characters, especially if you are adding backdrops later.

The biggest roadblocks to me liking it is the pacing, it has the pacing of an action film yet the canvas of a psychological drama, yet that isn't even the biggest flaw is it? Every scene with action loses it's potency cause if they die they don't really die do they? The apparently just get kicked up or down a level. As I said earlier must have looked good on the page, but it is truly shockingly bad. It looks like a remake of a Hitchcock film as if it were down by the people who do childerens telly where someone has lost a dog or summink.

With the CGI and the the way digital post production is these days, continuity across various \'realities\' isn\'t really that difficult, nor is the positioning of characters, especially if you are adding backdrops later.

The biggest roadblocks to me liking it is the pacing, it has the pacing of an action film yet the canvas of a psychological drama, yet that isn\'t even the biggest flaw is it? Every scene with action loses it\'s potency cause if they die they don\'t really die do they? The apparently just get kicked up or down a level. As I said earlier must have looked good on the page, but it is truly shockingly bad. It looks like a remake of a Hitchcock film as if it were down by the people who do childerens telly where someone has lost a dog or summink.

The CGI in Inception is minor though. Most of the effects were done in camera.

I thought the pacing was incredible. One of the best things about it is that last 45 minutes that just drives on and on

but only covering the 3 or 4 seconds of the van falling

. Incredibly tense. Not because they might die either, but because they might

end up in limbo and wake up as vegetables that want to top themselves.

Edited by Happy Face

With the CGI and the the way digital post production is these days, continuity across various \'realities\' isn\'t really that difficult, nor is the positioning of characters, especially if you are adding backdrops later.

The biggest roadblocks to me liking it is the pacing, it has the pacing of an action film yet the canvas of a psychological drama, yet that isn\'t even the biggest flaw is it? Every scene with action loses it\'s potency cause if they die they don\'t really die do they? The apparently just get kicked up or down a level. As I said earlier must have looked good on the page, but it is truly shockingly bad. It looks like a remake of a Hitchcock film as if it were down by the people who do childerens telly where someone has lost a dog or summink.

I thought the pacing was incredible. One of the best things about it is that last 45 minutes that just drives on and on

YOu don't understand pacing and the mental space of the audience with regard to genre.

I can see you really enjoyed it and I don't have a problem with that.

I havent seen it yet lads, careful on the spoilers.

Tbh, as much as i respect Parky, am going with HF's opinion on this one.

TBH they're both critics and as we know, critics know nowt but think the world should listen to "their" opinion.

Go see it for yourself and make your own opinion Chez.

YOu don't understand pacing and the mental space of the audience with regard to genre.

I can see you really enjoyed it and I don't have a problem with that.

Audiences seem to hate it like.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

:angry:

He screwed that right up.

TBH they're both critics and as we know, critics know nowt but think the world should listen to "their" opinion.

I love talking to Parky about his opinion. I would never suggest he should change his mind.

He's just a bit of a tit when he condescends by telling people what they do or don't understand.

I love talking to Parky about his opinion. I would never suggest he should change his mind.

He's just a bit of a tit when he condescends by telling people what they do or don't understand.

I was just upset by the fact I didn't even make his top 10 of film opinions and yet that twat from derry is hanging with the fish :angry:

You see, I like it when he does that :angry:

I am going to try and see it this week. Am back in Paris, mother and baby in the south until the weekend, no chance once they are back.

I was just shit-stirring tbh.

On a side note. City of God is good but its not a top 20 movie of all time for me.

Post your top 20 then so we can all have a pop at it :angry:

On a side note. City of God is good but its not a top 20 movie of all time for me.

Post your top 20 then so we can all have a pop at it :angry:

It changes every week to be honest !

So does their list. I'd put City of God (and plenty of others) ahead of The Shawshank Redemption btw.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Mackem aggro, mackem aggro hello hello!