Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

I was dragged to see Soloman Kane last week......I dont think it'll be troubling the academy voters but the outside scenes were quite nicely shot (supposed to be the south west in the 17th century) and the special effects were very good. The script sadly would embarrass a 12 year old though. But not the worst 90 mins of my life...that was Wigan, boxing day 2008 :lol:

Oh and Gareth from "The Office" turns up as a mad priest who tries to feed Soloman to some zombies he keeps under his ruined chapel :blush:

Saw 'Alice in Wonderland' last night. I usually like Tim Burton films but this was disappointing. There was no element of horror or suspense, the characters were interesting in a surreal way but there was no emotional connection for me. Also, the whole concept doesn't really suit such a strong narrative - I'm not convinced AiW could ever be turned into a particularly enoyable film. Hats off to Depp's performance though (pun intended).

This was also the first full length 3D film I've seen. It confirmed my prejudices - it adds nothing imo. Does anyone actually think it makes things look more real? For me the converse is true - the characters look like 2D cut outs in a 3D box. And then the director has to put the inevitable 'sword jutting out of screen' shots in. Yawn. The novelty wears off in 10 minutes, after which you're still obliged to wear the skanky glasses on your head and develop a migraine.

Saw 'Alice in Wonderland' last night. I usually like Tim Burton films but this was disappointing. There was no element of horror or suspense, the characters were interesting in a surreal way but there was no emotional connection for me. Also, the whole concept doesn't really suit such a strong narrative - I'm not convinced AiW could ever be turned into a particularly enoyable film. Hats off to Depp's performance though (pun intended).

This was also the first full length 3D film I've seen. It confirmed my prejudices - it adds nothing imo. Does anyone actually think it makes things look more real? For me the converse is true - the characters look like 2D cut outs in a 3D box. And then the director has to put the inevitable 'sword jutting out of screen' shots in. Yawn. The novelty wears off in 10 minutes, after which you're still obliged to wear the skanky glasses on your head and develop a migraine.

I enjoyed the 3D in Avatar, not seen anything else though. Like it or not, after the success of Avatar, every film exec will demand their film is shot in 3d "Also, can we change the character to a blue cat-monkey? Audiences really seem to respond to that."

Watched Låt den rätte komma in (Let the Right One In) last night after finishing the superb book. Really, really good film.

I enjoyed the 3D in Avatar, not seen anything else though. Like it or not, after the success of Avatar, every film exec will demand their film is shot in 3d "Also, can we change the character to a blue cat-monkey? Audiences really seem to respond to that."

Watched Låt den rätte komma in (Let the Right One In) last night after finishing the superb book. Really, really good film.

Aye, saw that a while back - superb. A proper film with none of this 3D shite. :lol:

I am really not interested in seeing Alice in Wonderland. The ads I've seen seem to have a Burton-by-numbers feel to it (Depp, Bonham-Carter, star-studded cast, 'twisted' take on old story etc). I'll probably end up going at some point though.

I thought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was shite and this looks like more of the same. Agree about 'Let the Right One In' btw, love it.

I am really not interested in seeing Alice in Wonderland. The ads I've seen seem to have a Burton-by-numbers feel to it (Depp, Bonham-Carter, star-studded cast, 'twisted' take on old story etc). I'll probably end up going at some point though.

I think that's right about Burton. I personally liked CatCF a lot though.

2012 - Shite but funny.

The invention of lying - Fell asleep.

In the air - George is dreamy.

I watched the exact same 3 films on a flight at the weekend.

2012 - I knew what I was getting. Kept me entertained for 90 mins but generally a poor movie

TIoL - The odd laugh but generally utterly forgettable

Up in the Air - Nicely shot movie. Good acting. Again, utterly forgettable.

Edited by Holden McGroin

2012 - Shite but funny.

The invention of lying - Fell asleep.

In the air - George is dreamy.

I watched the exact same 3 films on a flight at the weekend.

2012 - I knew what I was getting. Kept me entertained for 90 mins but generally a poor movie

TIoL - The odd laugh but generally utterly forgettable

Up in the Air - Nicely shot movie. Good acting. Again, utterly forgettable.

:lol: Watched them on a flight too. Paris - San Francisco, you?

Dubai -> Gatwick.

You get endless amounts of entertainment (ICE) on Emirates. Pretty decent.

Edit: I'm off to San Fran in a few months. Recommend any hidden gems to see (bar the Golden Gate/Alcatraz etc) ?

Edited by Holden McGroin

Dubai -> Gatwick.

I saw a few films on Emirates last month. However, unlike Chez I didn't have the benefit of a 42 inch HD plasma TV to watch them on. :lol:

And why are the games so shit?

Dubai -> Gatwick.

Edit: I'm off to San Fran in a few months. Recommend any hidden gems to see (bar the Golden Gate/Alcatraz etc) ?

I know Gemmill liked the Blue Oyster Bar.

Dubai -> Gatwick.

I saw a few films on Emirates last month. However, unlike Chez I didn't have the benefit of a 42 inch HD plasma TV to watch them on. :lol:

And why are the games so shit?

Games? How old are you ?!?! :blush:

Me, You and Them

Brazillian film from 2000 in which an old man proposes to a younger woman, convincing her it'll be worthwhile because he'll die soon and she'll be left with his house to bring up her illegitimate son. She's soon moved another couple of blokes in and is knocking out sprogs left right and centre. Not bad.

Bombon, El Perro

Lovely Argentinian film from 2004 about a down on his luck middle aged gent who's lost his low paying petrol station job and been forced to move back in with his daughter. After doing someone a favour, he's rewarded with a pedigree dog and from then on his luck gets better and better as he enters it in shows and offers it's stud services. I most enjoyed when the Dog sits next to him in the car.

Dubai -> Gatwick.

Was working so was busy during the day and had dinners with colleagues at night.

Thurday night went to The Colonial which is a french vietnamese place, decent food but a bit pricey. One for the expenses if you can.

Friday night went to The Supper Club, its an experience as they do bondage floor shows, waitresses are all in kinky PVC gear, was with a group of lads (English, Scottish and Aussie) so it was a bit of piss-up. Afterwards we went to a club called Slide, was alright nowt special and i left early as i was presenting at 9am on saturday.

Saturday night, went to a forgettable Italian place then to the top of the Marriott Marquis (39th floor) with floor to ceiling windows and an amazing view of the city. Would recommend a visit for a cocktail or whatever. Also good for views is the club called Starlight Rooms at the top of the Francis Drake Hotel, worth checking out too. Weds night is ladies night, if that interests you.

Sunday i was wrecked (obviously), went to SF Moma which was decent, its not far from Union square which is worth a visit. Sunday night went to The Chieftain Irish pub, completely mental even on sunday evening, some bizarre Doris in the corner doing a synth-pop 80s gig on a laptop and a drum machine, decent pint of Guinness.

Monday morning i got a taxi driver to take me to Golden Gate, Snake st, Californian Heights etc, took a few photos then to the airport :lol: 70 dollars for 2 hours drive around town.

Bombon, El Perro

Lovely Argentinian film from 2004 about a down on his luck middle aged gent who's lost his low paying petrol station job and been forced to move back in with his daughter. After doing someone a favour, he's rewarded with a pedigree dog and from then on his luck gets better and better as he enters it in shows and offers it's stud services. I most enjoyed when the Dog sits next to him in the car.

Lovely film, got that on DVD.

You seen Tetro yet?

Yeah, there are loads around the world, the scottish lad i was with lives in Singapore and said the one there was shit and very tame, the one in Amsterdam is apparently the best with the san fran one a close second (in terms of being out there and a bit kinky, which is right up my boulevard, as you know).

Yeah, there are loads around the world, the scottish lad i was with lives in Singapore and said the one there was shit and very tame, the one in Amsterdam is apparently the best with the san fran one a close second (in terms of being out there and a bit kinky, which is right up my boulevard, as you know).

:lol: So I've heard anyway.

the single man - depressing as hell but nice cinematography

i am legend - mindless action fun

the king of kong: a fistful of quarters - really entertaining documentary about geeky donkey kong gamers

the single man - depressing as hell but nice cinematography

i am legend - mindless action fun

the king of kong: a fistful of quarters - really entertaining documentary about geeky donkey kong gamers

I recently read about the original ending to this, and it sounded much better.