Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

The Brothers Grimm- cack

Must Love Dogs- good chick flick

The Grinch right now- coincidentally just been told my attitude matches the Grinch perfectly this season, almost right down to the colour as well while laying in bed staring at the ceiling while self loathing.

Edited by Mags

Narnia was disappointing. It is very faithful to the book and although I loved the story as a kid (despite the christian propaganda) the film just didnt work for me. I didnt think the effects were bad, infact they were very good in places. If I had to put my finger on it I think its down to the kids. The film basically rests on their performances and I dont think they were strong enough.

Narnia was disappointing. It is very faithful to the book and although I loved the story as a kid (despite the christian propaganda) the film just didnt work for me. I didnt think the effects were bad, infact they were very good in places. If I had to put my finger on it I think its down to the kids. The film basically rests on their performances and I dont think they were strong enough.

69383[/snapback]

The most important ones were the younger ones - Edmund and Lucy. Considering their ages, I think they did OK. Of course, they were middle class twats from the Edwardian era, which was again completely faithful to the book. I fail to see how the director could have made a better film with the story he was given.

The most important ones were the younger ones - Edmund and Lucy. Considering their ages, I think they did OK. Of course, they were middle class twats from the Edwardian era, which was again completely faithful to the book. I fail to see how the director could have made a better film with the story he was given.

69384[/snapback]

Not just being pedantic here but weren't they evacuees during the Second World War? I'm just confirming this is the case to make sure I'm not losing my marbles as I read all the books when I was a bairn.

My main gripe with the film was its pacing - it takes ages to set the scene, followed by what essentially a long, drawn out chase sequence, a bit of hanging around then a (shit) CGI fest for the battle.

Although if they are making several of these (dear god) then admittidly quite a bit of exposition at the start is required (as in the first X-Men film).

69316[/snapback]

It's worth pointing out that Lewis wrote a prequel to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, called the Magician's nephew. This might explain the nature of Narnia and "deep magic" somewhat. Having said that though, it isn't much cop if you aren't a kid. The later stories are much more your standard fantasy tales and are all the better for it imo. The last book though, called the last battle, is basically a christian jizz fest. It depicts armageddon, and Susan goes to hell for not "believing" in Narnia any more......

69322[/snapback]

;)

69324[/snapback]

*SPOILERS* (Sorry Gejon, I'd be amazed if they made a film of the last book mind)

Did you not see that that the death of Aslan was basically the crucifixion of Christ?

69326[/snapback]

Probably not, apparently it's gay to look for metaphors in a film. :angry:

My main gripe with the film was its pacing - it takes ages to set the scene, followed by what essentially a long, drawn out chase sequence, a bit of hanging around then a (shit) CGI fest for the battle.

Although if they are making several of these (dear god) then admittidly quite a bit of exposition at the start is required (as in the first X-Men film).

69316[/snapback]

It's worth pointing out that Lewis wrote a prequel to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, called the Magician's nephew. This might explain the nature of Narnia and "deep magic" somewhat. Having said that though, it isn't much cop if you aren't a kid. The later stories are much more your standard fantasy tales and are all the better for it imo. The last book though, called the last battle, is basically a christian jizz fest. It depicts armageddon, and Susan goes to hell for not "believing" in Narnia any more......

69322[/snapback]

;)

69324[/snapback]

*SPOILERS* (Sorry Gejon, I'd be amazed if they made a film of the last book mind)

Did you not see that that the death of Aslan was basically the crucifixion of Christ?

69326[/snapback]

It was more your choice of words and the subsequent mental image that made the :angry: necessary.

Anyway: I watched Ocean's 11 yesterday - slick, entertaining thriller with an all star cast. Brilliant, just a shame the sequel is so crap.

The Lavender Hill Mob - Most entertaining. I'm always amazed by Alec Guiness. The way he spaeks in this is bizarre, I don't know how he gets his mouth into that weird postion.

Before Sunrise - I enjoyed it on the whole, but I can't decide if Ethan Hawke was brilliant or shit. He sounded like he was reading his lines out loud, but I guess that was true to the character using his old stories to get into her knickers. He was totally annoying with it though.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - A good laugh. Johnny Depp was very funny.

Edited by Happy Face

69384[/snapback]

Not just being pedantic here but weren't they evacuees during the Second World War? I'm just confirming this is the case to make sure I'm not losing my marbles as I read all the books when I was a bairn.

69389[/snapback]

You might be right, they were 2nd world war evacuees in the film, although I don't remember that in the book; I thought they looked and acted like they were from the Edwardian era, from memory. The old professor was the original character from Victorian times, called Eustace iirc.

'The Horse and His Boy' is somewhat Islamaphobic in retrospect too.

69403[/snapback]

Lewis was clearly a man ahead of his time, the last battle is beginning to feel quite prophetic now.

69415[/snapback]

Is this the A-Level English thread or what? ;)

'The Horse and His Boy' is somewhat Islamaphobic in retrospect too.

69403[/snapback]

Lewis was clearly a man ahead of his time, the last battle is beginning to feel quite prophetic now.

69415[/snapback]

Is this the A-Level English thread or what? :angry:

69416[/snapback]

I was 9 last time I read the Narnia books. But it probably does pass for A level now.... ;)

69384[/snapback]

69389[/snapback]

You might be right, they were 2nd world war evacuees in the film, although I don't remember that in the book; I thought they looked and acted like they were from the Edwardian era, from memory. The old professor was the original character from Victorian times, called Eustace iirc.

69412[/snapback]

I think the old Professor is Digory or something (i.e. the lad out of 'The Magician's Nephew'). He brought an apple back from Narnia which grows into a tree which is then cut down and is made into the wardrobe which becomes a gateway to Narnia in 'The Lion....' . Eustace is the horrible nephew (of Edmund, Lucy et al) from 'The Voyage of the Dawn Treader' who truns out to be a 'good egg' ;) in the end. Not that I read all the books about 3 times when I was younger or anything. Dweeb tbh.

69384[/snapback]

69389[/snapback]

69412[/snapback]

I think the old Professor is Digory or something (i.e. the lad out of 'The Magician's Nephew'). He brought an apple back from Narnia which grows into a tree which is then cut down and is made into the wardrobe which becomes a gateway to Narnia in 'The Lion....' . Eustace is the horrible nephew (of Edmund, Lucy et al) from 'The Voyage of the Dawn Treader' who truns out to be a 'good egg' ;) in the end. Not that I read all the books about 3 times when I was younger or anything. Dweeb tbh.

69423[/snapback]

No shit! Have you got a home-made Narnia timeline on your bedroom wall or something? :angry:

69384[/snapback]

69389[/snapback]

69412[/snapback]

69423[/snapback]

Shit, you're right. My Narnia ignorance has been exposed. :angry:

I've got one in my head :angry:

69429[/snapback]

Is it in crayon? :blush:

69431[/snapback]

:blush:

Each character has a different colour in order to make it clearer. Seriously though I used to love those books when I was a bairn although I was pretty oblivious to the Christian elements. I remember looking for some other books by C.S. Lewis at the library when I was a bairn and all I could find was books about Theology ;)

Each character has a different colour in order to make it clearer. Seriously though I used to love those books when I was a bairn although I was pretty oblivious to the Christian elements. I remember looking for some other books by C.S. Lewis at the library when I was a bairn and all I could find was books about Theology  ;)

69438[/snapback]

I reckon you're still reading one a week or God bless your memory, I'm struggling to remember what I had for breakfast.

Each character has a different colour in order to make it clearer. Seriously though I used to love those books when I was a bairn although I was pretty oblivious to the Christian elements. I remember looking for some other books by C.S. Lewis at the library when I was a bairn and all I could find was books about Theology  ;)

69438[/snapback]

I reckon you're still reading one a week or God bless your memory, I'm struggling to remember what I had for breakfast.

69445[/snapback]

You're confusing me with the Harry Potter fans :angry:

I'm the same, I can remember those though for some reason. I've avoided tham as an adult for fear of finding them to be a bit shit and spoiling the memory.