Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Using my first night alone to watch Kill Bill 1 and 2 double bill, probably for the first time in 10 years. The films themselves are 21 years old now. :sad:

They are fucking brilliant though. They just don't make films as good as this nowadays. Tarantino is easily my favourite director even if his work is as rare as rocking horse shit. 

• Like 5

Is there a better fight scene in film history than the bride vs the crazy 88? This is insane. :lol:

"This is what you get for fucking around with yakuzas. Go home to your mother". 

Edited by Renton

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Using my first night alone to watch Kill Bill 1 and 2 double bill, probably for the first time in 10 years. The films themselves are 21 years old now. :sad:

They are fucking brilliant though. They just don't make films as good as this nowadays. Tarantino is easily my favourite director even if his work is as rare as rocking horse shit. 

I remember when I watched KB1 I was in awe. What a film. 

Agree with you about Tarantino. Superb. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched Tag. Based on a true story about a group of friends who have carried on a game of tag from childhood to middle age. Every May is open season and they go to great lengths to tag or avoid being tagged. :lol: 

Not the funniest film by a long shot, but the end credit scene includes video of the real people getting tagged in all sorts of circumstances. :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, The Fish said:

@Christmas Tree I'd like a list of ten films, from 1 to 10. I want to see how your system works?

Good God, just why?

Films are fucking shit nowadays. Was looking through Prime with a five quid voucher and there was absolutely fuck all I fancied I hadn't already seen, and I don't watch many films nowadays. Eventually settled on Back to Black and yeah, it was fucking shit. 

Everything nowadays is some kind of sequel or remake, Twisters being an example. Or some bollocks Marvel film where the cast wear spandex. Hardly any original films and when there are, like Saltburn for instance, they tend to get hyped far beyond their actual merit, even if they're enjoyable.

• Where are the good horror films? When was the last decent Sci Fi film? Fantasy?
  • FFS, when was the last decent war film or just good old crime drama?
  • Has there even been a half decent Rom Com for the lasses in the last 5 years? Watched this one with George Clooney and Julia Roberts recently and the main jokes didn't even make sense. 

It's all broken now. Gone to shit. Hollywood has eaten itself. May as well read a book but WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME SOME FUCKER EVEN WROTE A GOOD BOOK? And don't even get me fucking started on video games. 

Some people say maybe it's just you and not the entire film business. To these people I say, fuck you. Rant suspended for now. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, The Fish said:

@Christmas Tree I'd like a list of ten films, from 1 to 10. I want to see how your system works?

It works like this. If I’m considering watching a film, I check IMDB. If it’s 5.9 or under, it doesn’t get watched. 

(obviously the odd exception will be made if I’m already aware that there is gratuitous sex involved or an ABBA soundtrack)

28 minutes ago, Renton said:

May as well read a book but WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME SOME FUCKER EVEN WROTE A GOOD BOOK?

Just flicking through my Goodreads (not a euphemism) and Demon Copperhead, Piranesi, Tomorrow And Tomorrow And Tomorrow, Anxious People, Young Mungo are a few recent-ish novels I've enjoyed that aren't so obscure you can't get them from Waterstones or the library. Marzahn, Mon Amour and Swimming In The Dark are very good but fall into that more obscure category. Tim Moore keeps churning out good travelogues centered around ridiculous modes of transport. I've liked everything by Chris Brookmyre in recent years (Fallen Angel, The Cut, The Cliff House etc.). I'm aware you weren't necessarily asking for recommendations but now you've got some anyway. :P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

It works like this. If I’m considering watching a film, I check IMDB. If it’s 5.9 or under, it doesn’t get watched. 

(obviously the odd exception will be made if I’m already aware that there is gratuitous sex involved or an ABBA soundtrack)

I work in a similar way for Tv series. Anything under an 8 for a series and it’s a gamble.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Renton said:

Good God, just why?

Films are fucking shit nowadays. Was looking through Prime with a five quid voucher and there was absolutely fuck all I fancied I hadn't already seen, and I don't watch many films nowadays. Eventually settled on Back to Black and yeah, it was fucking shit. 

Everything nowadays is some kind of sequel or remake, Twisters being an example. Or some bollocks Marvel film where the cast wear spandex. Hardly any original films and when there are, like Saltburn for instance, they tend to get hyped far beyond their actual merit, even if they're enjoyable.

• Where are the good horror films? When was the last decent Sci Fi film? Fantasy?
  • FFS, when was the last decent war film or just good old crime drama?
  • Has there even been a half decent Rom Com for the lasses in the last 5 years? Watched this one with George Clooney and Julia Roberts recently and the main jokes didn't even make sense. 

It's all broken now. Gone to shit. Hollywood has eaten itself. May as well read a book but WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME SOME FUCKER EVEN WROTE A GOOD BOOK? And don't even get me fucking started on video games. 

Some people say maybe it's just you and not the entire film business. To these people I say, fuck you. Rant suspended for now. 

Mostly just to see what films that are terrible that CT  rates.

I'll admit horror isn't my thing, but Hereditary, Get Out, Train to Busan all got good reviews on there release?

Sci Fi - Arrival, Ex Machina, Mad Max Fury Road, Arrival, Annihilation, Interstellar, Dune, 

Fantasy is trickier. But the Dungeons and Dragons film was a laugh, I guess?

War - Hacksaw Ridge, Dunkirk, Openheimer, 1917

Crime - Knives Out, Promising Young Woman, Good Time, Hell or High Water, Nightcrawler, Prisoners

None of them sequels, none of them remakes, no Marvel film or DC, 

8 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

So, these aren't even your ratings?

What the fuck is this shit? Be a man! 

Just now, Monkeys Fist said:

Mad Max would like a word :lol:

Hah, fair point. But it's such a good film, it deserves to be part of anyone's watching list

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Hah, fair point. But it's such a good film, it deserves to be part of anyone's watching list

Oh aye, just exercising my pedantic gland. :lol::lol:

1 minute ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Oh aye, just exercising my pedantic gland. :lol::lol:

That thing could break a leg already.

• Haha 1

I know it's old but I watched Looper the other night and thought it was excellent but it did benefit from my any film without a happy ending is good anyway rule. 

(I know it could be argued the outcome is happy as a result of his actions but still...) 

• Like 1