Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Talking of plays, have you all seen Glengarry Glen Ross?  Originally a play, but the movie is quality.  Jack Lemmon is class in it.

175380[/snapback]

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say a bad word about it. I loved it, long time since I saw it, would like to see it again.

175384[/snapback]

I tell a lie, Rob Blackwelder of SplicedWire.com was not impressed. :D

http://splicedwire.com/95andbefore/glengarry.html

175393[/snapback]

"There isn't a single memorable line in the whole picture"

:D

Possibly the last time Pacino actually pulled his finger out and acted in a movie, although I might be doing him a disservice because I'm struggling to think of everything he's done since.

175395[/snapback]

Yes you are talking shite!

Insomnia

The Insider

The Devil's Advocate

Donnie Brasco

City Hall

Heat

Carlito's Way

Scent of a Woman

Possibly the last time Pacino actually pulled his finger out and acted in a movie, although I might be doing him a disservice because I'm struggling to think of everything he's done since.

175395[/snapback]

Yes you are talking shite!

Insomnia

The Insider

The Devil's Advocate

Donnie Brasco

City Hall

Heat

Carlito's Way

Scent of a Woman

175413[/snapback]

Can't remember what he was like in The Insider, but The Devil's Advocate, Carlito's Way and City Hall he was treading water man.

He was decent in Insomnia, good in Donnie Brasco, decent in Heat (although he did resort to a lot of shouting) and I can't decide about Scent of a Woman. He was a convincing blind man, but he suddenly became a Southern Belle with that accent in the speech at the end. WTF was that all about?!

I think for a lot of the 90s and the 00's he's just been keeping his head above water tbh. He's always better than most because he's Al Pacino, but he's not blown me away in anything for years.

All class tbh

175434[/snapback]

:D

The Devil's Advocate is utter shit man. City Hall is a snoozefest an'all.

I liked the rest of them, but I don't think he was outstanding in any of them. Dog Day's Afternoon, Serpico, The Godfather = Pacino really pulling his finger out. He's been lazy in a lot of stuff for years. So's De Niro.

I'm not overly impressed by his black jacket, shouty shouty period like.

Hoo-ah

Sometimes it works (Carlito) sometimes not (Two For The Money).

He's supposed to be immense in 'Angels in America' though.

I was talking about the three Alex mentioned tbh as I don't think I've seen City Hall.

I really like the Devils Advocate though.

I wouldn't say he was lazy in the likes of Donnie Brasco or Insomnia but I do get what you mean and I agree the likes of Godfather, Dog Day Afternoon et al are far superior just as Taxi Driver and Mean Streets piss on all modern De Niro.

Edited by David Kelly

Hoo-ah

175446[/snapback]

He's great in Stella Street like :D

Hoo-ah

175446[/snapback]

Is Two For The Money really bad? I want to see it cos I don't mind McConaughey and I like Pacino, but I'm not sure about it.

Forgot about Angels in America actually. That was the HBO thing where he's got AIDS or something, right?

Hoo-ah

175446[/snapback]

Is Two For The Money really bad? I want to see it cos I don't mind McConaughey and I like Pacino, but I'm not sure about it.

Forgot about Angels in America actually. That was the HBO thing where he's got AIDS or something, right?

175452[/snapback]

That's coming on More4 iirc

Hoo-ah

175446[/snapback]

175452[/snapback]

Aye and aye.

Hoo-ah

175446[/snapback]

175452[/snapback]

175460[/snapback]

Nice one. Will keep an eye out. More4 should be closer to the five terrestrial channels on the Sky Menu tbh. There's more decent stuff on that than on most other channels but I always forget about it because it's hidden in amongst a sea of shit channels.

Hoo-ah

175446[/snapback]

175452[/snapback]

175460[/snapback]

Nice one. Will keep an eye out. More4 should be closer to the five terrestrial channels on the Sky Menu tbh. There's more decent stuff on that than on most other channels but I always forget about it because it's hidden in amongst a sea of shit channels.

175464[/snapback]

Set it up on your favourites and then just hit the blue button, saves flicking through all the shite.

The Sun - Or Solntse to give it it's original title. The third in a trilogy by Aleksandr Sokurov. This one is based on Hirohito, the previous 2 looked at Hitler and Lenin, but Moloch and Telets (as they were called) still haven't had an English release ;) . If you enjoyed Downfall (the Oliver Hirschbiegel film that's always on More4) Then The Sun is worth a look, . Issey Sogata's performance is fascinating.

Mr Smith Goes To Washington - This might have to go into my top ten films ever. I wonder if oil millionaire George Bush has watched it and if he felt a sting.

I was at the actual Mission Control in Houston a couple of months back. They've got a sign on the desk where Ed Harris's character worked from. It was interesting to be in there imagining what stressful times the place must've seen. ;)

EDIT! It was the ONLY interesting thing on the tour at NASA though. The rest of it was complete shite.

Edited by Gemmill

you got to wonder why they were able to get a bloke on the moon in 69, but despite advances we're still no where near having a moon...base..thing? nigh on fourty years later

you got to wonder why they were able to get a bloke on the moon in 69, but despite advances we're still no where near having a moon...base..thing? nigh on fourty years later

176421[/snapback]

More than likely we never went there.