Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

like Terminator 2?

Yeah it's become a blockbuster staple.

See the thing with special powers is nearly always now a man/woman. Or part machine.

MV5BNDE1MjQ1MDE3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTY0

Edited by Park Life

1 minute ago, Park Life said:

Yeah it's become a blockbuster staple.

I definitely think there's a shift away from women being useless squealers/arm candy/evil manipulators towards women who actually contribute to the plot, be they the protagonist or not. But that's a good thing, surely?

The slew of "young adult" fiction that became movies didn't get it right, but I've no big issue with them getting it wrong as they try to divine the right path. I mean we've "enjoyed" the blockbusters where ubermensch save the day pretty much since the dawn of cinema, right? So surely we can enjoy a modern version of the standard tropes we enjoy from the perspective of a woman? Can't the heroic journey be trodden by a woman?

22 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I definitely think there's a shift away from women being useless squealers/arm candy/evil manipulators towards women who actually contribute to the plot, be they the protagonist or not. But that's a good thing, surely?

The slew of "young adult" fiction that became movies didn't get it right, but I've no big issue with them getting it wrong as they try to divine the right path. I mean we've "enjoyed" the blockbusters where ubermensch save the day pretty much since the dawn of cinema, right? So surely we can enjoy a modern version of the standard tropes we enjoy from the perspective of a woman? Can't the heroic journey be trodden by a woman?

Not when the man/woman transgender agenda is satanic. :D

The god of our rulers is a man/woman. The perfect being. Universal yin and yang.

You think this is far fetched? Look at her name.

Milly Bobby Brown. Milly is gay code and is an undeveloped Molly (Gay/transgender woman or effeminate man).  When I say guppy in a post I mean useless male (I say it a lot).  She is Bobby and Brown.

Might all be bollocks tho. ;)

https://www.ft.com/content/9f3c233a-91f7-11e6-8df8-d3778b55a923

The binary man/woman God.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baphomet

Calvin Klein

1199971.jpg

Edited by Park Life

Not following the pivot to conspiracy theories be honest :lol:

You're suggesting this girl's parents were coerced into naming her thus, so that when she became an actress it could further a satanic agenda? 

It seems more likely you're uncomfortable with blockbuster movies drifting away from man saving the day?

Either way I don't really care about the gender of the hero that drives the macguffin into the heart of the beast to save the day, as long as it's well written (at the very least).

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Not following the pivot to conspiracy theories be honest :lol:

You're suggesting this girl's parents were coerced into naming her thus, so that when she became an actress it could further a satanic agenda? 

It seems more likely you're uncomfortable with blockbuster movies drifting away from man saving the day?

Either way I don't really care about the gender of the hero that drives the macguffin into the heart of the beast to save the day, as long as it's well written (at the very least).

It's not a conspiracy when it is everywhere all the time and ongoing. :D*Cough Star Wars.

It's not her real name obviously.

Hollywood is the epicenter of a vast machine that changes society. I'm sure you've thought about that from time to time.

For me these films are fascinating on many levels and I agree that being well made is of primary importance.

Edited by Park Life

3 minutes ago, Park Life said:

It's not a conspiracy when it is everywhere all the time and ongoing. :D*Cough Star Wars.

It's not her real name obviously.

Hollywood is the epicenter of a vast machine that changes society. I'm sure you've thought about that from time to time.

For me these films are fascinating on many levels and I agree that being well made is of primary importance.

Everywhere and all time, except for the Fast and Furious stable, the overwhelming majority of comicbook movies that dominate the box office, the Bourne and Bond franchises, the new Universal Monster movies, etc.

Is a cinema your safe space? ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Everywhere and all time, except for the Fast and Furious stable, the overwhelming majority of comicbook movies that dominate the box office, the Bourne and Bond franchises, the new Universal Monster movies, etc.

Is a cinema your safe space? ;)

You should look up Ian Fleming. ;)

I think you're missing a lot in the comic book movies. You of all people on here should be able to dig a bit.

I'm interested in society and visual art and how there is a cross pollination between myth and reality. This is the century in which what we see is what we are. I don't discount anything.

15 hours ago, Park Life said:

You should look up Ian Fleming. ;)

I think you're missing a lot in the comic book movies. You of all people on here should be able to dig a bit.

I'm interested in society and visual art and how there is a cross pollination between myth and reality. This is the century in which what we see is what we are. I don't discount anything.

I tend to hold back on proper discussion about the undercurrents in Comic Books and their movie versions for fear of drowning under a sea of rolling eyes and exasperated sighs. I've briefly touched on the obvious stuff (Spider Man = puberty, X-Men = bigotry, Iron Man's original conceit = Capitalism v Communism, etc.), but there's deeper themes (conservatism chief amongst them).

51 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I tend to hold back on proper discussion about the undercurrents in Comic Books and their movie versions for fear of drowning under a sea of rolling eyes and exasperated sighs. I've briefly touched on the obvious stuff (Spider Man = puberty, X-Men = bigotry, Iron Man's original conceit = Capitalism v Communism, etc.), but there's deeper themes (conservatism chief amongst them).

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:razz:

• Like 1

Didn't someone do the formula for them which showed 95% of top grossing films  hit exactly the same beats in the same order just a few minutes apart.

Something like....

Open with an exciting spectacle introducing a bad guy.

Spend 15 minutes establishing the heroes desire.

Have another spectacle where the heroes desire is threatened.

Spend 15 minutes with the hero fretting about how to keep their desire safe.

Another spectacle where the desire is taken or put in peril 

Follow quick with another spectacle where the hero is put in an impossible to escape situation. Kill a peripheral goody character. Usually a minority. All is lost.

Have the hero despair, recover, dig deep, and overcome adversity.

Have the hero defeat the enemy and win back their desire in the massive finale. Preferably with huge buildings coming down.

Leave a strand dangling for the follow up.

I respect any of them that manage to fit any interesting themes into that framework. It's almost like the dogma school of self constraint.

Independence Day:Resurgence - The worst film I've seen in years. Poor storyline, poor actors, poor characters, poor dialogue  and absolutely no good feeling from it. Unbelievably shite.

I don't think Detour is a very good movie but if someone could go ahead and watch it anyway and explain the ending to me, that'd be great.

Edited by adios
the new one, not the 1945 one of the same name

Alien Covenant.

Initial reviews are mixed/bad. Crew too stupid to be in space. :lol:

Lot of schlock slasher movie moments overlayed with this gargantuan Universal thema.

I can't see myself giving it more than a 6.

Just watched the oasis documentary. Nice sentimental blast from the past. No surprise that there was little scrutiny of the post morning glory years, when they turned stale and started recycling the same old shot, and which is where I pretty much lost interest in them, given it was exec produced by the two gallaghera, but an enjoyable recap of a fun time in my life nonetheless, charting their rapid rise from nowhere to one of the country's biggest bands in just a couple of years.

i was a little disappointed they didn't mention their early riverside gig which was called off after 4 songs when someone invaded the stage and stuck one on Noel. I was only 14 or 15 but remember their tour van being pelted with bottles as I was waiting for my dad to come and collect me in the car well.

6/10. Well crafted by the same team that did the Amy Winehouse doc - also worth a watch.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Thought Alien Covenant was average at best.  It's less about the Alien's than it is about Fassbender, there's far too much light so you can see far to much of the aliens, the aliens they have for the most part aren't the ones we want to see and the last half hour our so is obvious beyond words.  If it wasn't a follow up to two of the best Sci Fi films ever it might feel better but it can't escape where it's come from.

Nice to see Danny McBride not quite playing Kenny Powers for a change though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

4.2 is a particularly precise rating. What did it do to avoid being rounded down to a 4?

I'll show you laters.

If a film is good then it starts with a base score of 5. If it's bad then a base score of 2. Then dir, story, camera, design etc...Are added on.