Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

On similar to the above, anyone seen Restrepo ?

Got it to watch but maybe not weekend fodder ?

Finally got round to watching this.

As much as the blokes in it are suffering and they deserve their story to be told, I still cannot watch a film about an invading army and feel much sympathy. As they cry while out on a mission because a comrade has been killed I can't reconcile that grief with the whoopin' and a hollerin' as they bomb the shit out of the people in the valley below, or laugh as they describe the the moment their bullets have torn a fleeing victim apart.

Like Nolan was? Nolan did a reboot, then 2 sequels. I wouldn't call that adventurous at all. If anything Marvel were adventurous with the Avengers movie.

This Man of Steel movie looks like they're trying to get a strong character driven plot as the spine of the film, rather than the flashy but paper-thin Superman Returns.

The Spiderman thing is infuriating because I think the Disney/Marvel films all seem to work well in their own little part of the universe they're creating. So it is possible to have Robert Downey Jnr's IronMan fighting against the more childish, more mythological Loki, but I just couldn't see them being able to even reference the new Spiderman, the X-men. Of course this means that if Disney/Marvel regain the rights to these franchises we'll see another set of reboots.

However, these films aren't aimed at you, or even fans of the genre like me. They're aimed at the kids who'll watch the film, buy the action figures, wear the t-shirts, play the computer games, watch the connected animated shorts, and who won't care if another Spiderman film comes out 5 years later.

(As an aside, the Superman franchise hasn't really been done since the first 2 films in 78 & 80, 3 was terrible, Returns was, as I say, paper-thin and Smallville is Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

Batman Begins was admittedly a reboot but they did it without going straight in against the same old bad guys that everyone knew. Yes I'm sure regular readers of the books would have known about Ra's al Ghul but most didn't (hell most probably hadn't even heard of the Scarecrow). They also built the third film around Bane. Another antagonist who is very familiar to fans but virtually unknown to the masses.

I totally agree about The Avengers and I think it worked brilliantly by going straight into the plot of a good battle to save the earth (which lets face it, all the best comic books are about anyway).

The Avengers and The Dark Knight trilogy were massive commercial successes (as well as critically well received) so I really don't see why they feel the need to pander to children with origin stories that usually among the dullest in the cannons. Obviously there is a need for it with franchises such as Thor and Green Lantern that haven't been done to before but for the likes of Superman and Spiderman it's frankly criminal. Especially Superman where there virtually limitless alternatives.

Hopefully the origin element of Man of Steel will only be a small part of it and rest of the film can get on with something new.

I watched The Butterfly Effect last night. I'd never seen it before and enjoyed it. Just a shame that Ashton Kutcher can't act. With the right cast it could have been another Twelve Monkeys. Of course they would have needed to end it before his last jump through time for that, but they should have done that anyway.

Go kung fu kick a cannula, you angry spazz.

End of the day they're action films, no different to the Time Cop and Eraser of their days. If they upset you, you've a pretty empty life. :lol:

My life's just dandy thanks. I suspect yours might not be if your cage is rattled so easily. :razz:

Perks of being a wallflower - highly enjoyable coming of age Indy film. Well acted, smart script - a good watch. 8/10.

We went to see that at the pictures. Wor lass had read the book a few months earlier. Apparently in the book they don't find out what "the song" is, which made the ending feel completely different.

We went to see that at the pictures. Wor lass had read the book a few months earlier. Apparently in the book they don't find out what "the song" is, which made the ending feel completely different.

A much improved ending, I'd wager. <_<

The Girl - Hammers Hitchcock as a sexual predator.

Beast Of The Southern Wild - Young girl brought up in squalor in New Orleans

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - Army man's exploits from the Boer war to WW2

Underwhelmed by them all unfortunately. Not bad, but nothing I'd particularly recommend either.

The Girl - Hammers Hitchcock as a sexual predator.

Beast Of The Southern Wild - Young girl brought up in squalor in New Orleans

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - Army man's exploits from the Boer war to WW2

Underwhelmed by them all unfortunately. Not bad, but nothing I'd particularly recommend either.

I loved Blimp. I remember I watched it one Sunday afternoon a few years ago and was totally enthralled by it. Roger Livesey was amazing in the title role. I lent it (had it on a double set with A Matter Of Life And Death) so someone at work shortly before they left and I never got it back :angry2:

I loved Blimp. I remember I watched it one Sunday afternoon a few years ago and was totally enthralled by it. Roger Livesey was amazing in the title role. I lent it (had it on a double set with A Matter Of Life And Death) so someone at work shortly before they left and I never got it back :angry2:

Remembered you saying it was great when I said I wasn't that fussed on A Matter of Life and Death either.

Struggling to think which Powell/Pressberger films I've actually rated as a cut above. Clearly i'm in the wrong given the critical praise they get.

A Matter Of Life And Death didn't do anywhere near as much for me although I still enjoyed it. I think Black Narcissus might be the only other one of theirs I've seen and I can't say I enjoyed that much at all tbf.

Something just hit a chord with Blimp though, just a perfect Sunday afternoon film.