Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

It shits all over anything done by Michael Buble or Take that or whatever other wedding favourites currently lead the way.

Am I a Man or a Muppet? is also a class song. "If I'm a man then I'm a muuppet of a Man" :lol:

I had Hall and Oates as I walked down the aisle at my wedding. Unimpressed priest was unimpressed.

-

Movies :

Watched Magic Mike. Very enjoyable. 7/10

Want to watch :

Looper

Dredd

The Campaign

Savages

Killing them Softly

Lawless

Shut Up and Play the Hits

Looper

Really good watch. More I think about it, the more I liked it. Picking up on J69's comment, I do think that the end was a bit too tidy a resolution to the film. But otherwise, I thought it was great. Fantastic acting, great casting, cinematography was great as well - there were some shots which just stuck with you, like this one (NOT A SPOILER):

Looper_1.jpg

I'd give this film an 8.5/10. Well worth a watch, and shits on the contemporary films it has been lazily compared to in some reviews (Butterfly Effect, Inception).

EDIT: Much as I cannot stand him, I think Peter Bradshaw's guardian review of the film hit the nail on the head for a surface description of the film:

'Rian Johnson's Looper is very exciting and very confusing at the same time: a gripping time-travel, sci-fi thriller indebted to Christopher Nolan's Memento and James Cameron's The Terminator, but with its own creepiness and muscular sense of urgency.'

Edited by ADP

Looper

Really good watch. More I think about it, the more I liked it. Picking up on J69's comment, I do think that the end was a bit too tidy a resolution to the film. But otherwise, I thought it was great. Fantastic acting, great casting, cinematography was great as well - there were some shots which just stuck with you, like this one (NOT A SPOILER):

Looper_1.jpg

I'd give this film an 8.5/10. Well worth a watch, and shits on the contemporary films it has been lazily compared to in some reviews (Butterfly Effect, Inception).

EDIT: Much as I cannot stand him, I think Peter Bradshaw's guardian review of the film hit the nail on the head for a surface description of the film:

'Rian Johnson's Looper is very exciting and very confusing at the same time: a gripping time-travel, sci-fi thriller indebted to Christopher Nolan's Memento and James Cameron's The Terminator, but with its own creepiness and muscular sense of urgency.'

Looking forward to it, but I bet 12 monkeys is better.

is the Levitt makeup thing not a little uncanny?

I didn't think so. It's not overbearing. I think they did a good job with trying to make him look like a young Bruce Willis - Imagining what Bruce Willis could have looked like when he was younger, rather than going all out trying to make a doppelgänger with more hair and less wrinkles. Tbh, the success of the casting is in Levitt's facial expressions. You can tell he has done his homework on how BW mouth moves, eyebrows raise etc.

I didn't think so. It's not overbearing. I think they did a good job with trying to make him look like a young Bruce Willis - Imagining what Bruce Willis could have looked like when he was younger, rather than going all out trying to make a doppelgänger with more hair and less wrinkles. Tbh, the success of the casting is in Levitt's facial expressions. You can tell he has done his homework on how BW mouth moves, eyebrows raise etc.

The only problem I have with Levitt is that he's a very limited actor. There is a real shortage of actors these days. Just pretty boys with airhead grins.

I'm looking forward to seeing looper. Wasn't sure from the trailer, looked like it could be a piece of nonsense, but the cast and reviews have won me round and I'm quite looking forward to it now.

Edit: it did make me think of 12 monkeys as well, but it's been so long since I saw that I can barely remember it

Edited by Bonamental

The only problem I have with Levitt is that he's a very limited actor. There is a real shortage of actors these days. Just pretty boys with airhead grins.

I agree(d). Before I watched Looper I really was not his biggest fan at all (I thought Brick was a jumped-up, pretentious, overly stylised piece of shite, with him at the catalytic centre). Though he was really good in this. The whole film just felt like something a little more fresh than the recent sci-fi offerings in cinema.

I'm looking forward to seeing looper. Wasn't sure from the trailer, looked like it could be a piece of nonsense, but the cast and reviews have won me round and I'm quite looking forward to it now.

Edit: it did make me think of 12 monkeys as well, but it's been so long since I saw that I can barely remember it

I'm considering going to see it again to be honest...

Maybe on orange wednesdays like, but it was a good film!

I agree(d). Before I watched Looper I really was not his biggest fan at all (I thought Brick was a jumped-up, pretentious, overly stylised piece of shite, with him at the catalytic centre). Though he was really good in this. The whole film just felt like something a little more fresh than the recent sci-fi offerings in cinema.

You've won me over. :)

The problem with Looper is that it's set up in a big, unique, dystopian, futuristic world for the first 45mins. I love different films takes on how the future will look.

And then half way through he gets to a farm in a field and it turns into effectively one long scene filmed on the set of 'signs'

The problem with Looper is that it's set up in a big, unique, dystopian, futuristic world for the first 45mins. I love different films takes on how the future will look.

And then half way through he gets to a farm in a field and it turns into effectively one long scene filmed on the set of 'signs'

See, that's why I liked it. I too enjoy how films differ when they depict the future. However, Looper's future was not overstated as a lot of films are. What I mean is, you look back 30 years ago from now, and there isn't a HUGE gulf between how things look in the majority of streets. Looper's future world appeared to me at least quite a realistic one - New technologies clearly visible, but not overbearingly so. For instance, on the farm, a rundown 20th century looking place by all accounts, then she uses that anti-gravity machine to water her crops by air.

I think the film did well not to push the notion of 'the future world where everything looks different' down the audiences throats. Something I think a lot of movies that depict the future do.