Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

56 minutes ago, Alex said:

Nee chance imo. It’ll be turned into more houses. Every single resident round there (and there are literally thousands) would be against it too imo.  I’d be canny gutted if it was any further from the city centre than Castle Leazes as well. 

Yeah agreed. It'll definitely not be that far out from the city centre IMO. 

18 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Aye, if you thought Dolly Potter was bad, wait until the Benton Nimbies get going :lol:

Not a chance. 

think you're just gonna have to come to terms with leazes terrace being knocked down.

it's full of fucking students anyway and  to be honest it would probably be more suited if it was rebuilt in bath.

can't stand in the way of the nufc juggernaut I'm afraid.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

think you're just gonna have to come to terms with leazes terrace being knocked down.

it's full of fucking students anyway and  to be honest it would probably be more suited if it was rebuilt in bath.

Leazes Terrace nailed on to be transformed into a swanky upmarket hotel by the saudis.

43 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

No chance of that either 

• Like 1

I seem to remember the Farmers Rest was a listed building, not sure what grade mind, and a swift google about shows nowt.

They managed to knock that down to extend a shop and modernise a frigging bus station.

I’m sure the talk at the time was about it being rebuilt, brick by brick at Beamish or somewhere. Aye right.

2 hours ago, Dougle said:

I seem to remember the Farmers Rest was a listed building, not sure what grade mind, and a swift google about shows nowt.

They managed to knock that down to extend a shop and modernise a frigging bus station.

I’m sure the talk at the time was about it being rebuilt, brick by brick at Beamish or somewhere. Aye right.

I remember sitting in the Farmers Rest on the opening night of the 94 World Cup but every channel was leading with the arrest of OJ Simpson. Bizarre evening!

18 minutes ago, Craig said:

I remember sitting in the Farmers Rest on the opening night of the 94 World Cup but every channel was leading with the arrest of OJ Simpson. Bizarre evening!

Someone knicked my Pavel is a Geordie t-shirt in the Farmers

• Haha 2

Remember the story about moving the farmers brick by brick but don’t recall if it was a listed building. Leazes Terrace is a Grade 1 listed building though. They account for less than 3% of all the listed buildings in the country and have the highest level of protection for development etc. Pevsner considered it one of the finest examples of Georgian architecture in the country iirc. 

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

Remember the story about moving the farmers brick by brick but don’t recall if it was a listed building. Leazes Terrace is a Grade 1 listed building though. They account for less than 3% of all the listed buildings in the country and have the highest level of protection for development etc. Pevsner considered it one of the finest examples of Georgian architecture in the country iirc. 

Yeah, Leazes Terrace is going absolutely nowhere. As I said I wouldn't be surprised if they turned it into a swanky high-end hotel. Either that or business offices - perhaps for the Reubens and the club itself. 

Either way, I don't think it'll be staying as student accommodation much longer.

There’s only part of it student accommodation/owned by the uni I think. The rest are privately owned / rented flats. But I think the student bit is the building that faces the ground 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye- Grade 1 Listing puts Leazes Terrace in the same 2.5% as Buckingham Palace, The Houses of Parliament, Tower Bridge etc. 

Even changing use of it from what it is now to the examples stated above ( hotel, offices), would be a major ball-ache and probably unlikely to be approved. 

10 hours ago, Craig said:

I remember sitting in the farmers rest on new years day '85  feeling the worst hungover I've felt in me life. first pint took over an hour to force down and every mouthful was very nearly barfed back up.

a few short hours later the world was all sweetness and light!   :)

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Be nice if someone with a subscription could expand on this. :) 

https://t.co/fI4wxoBZrO

some bullet points: 

“I would love Eddie (Howe) to be the next (Sir) Alex Ferguson,” Ghodoussi says of their head coach.

While they do not name him, Dan Ashworth, who is currently on gardening leave at Brighton & Hove Albion, will be appointed sporting director.

They have had “the most incredible candidates come forward,” for the CEO role, Staveley says.

While they aim to increase the 52,000 capacity at St James’, there are no plans to build a new stadium. “It would be like tearing your soul out,” Ghodoussi says.

They are looking at sites for a purpose-built, world-class training ground. “That will probably take three years, maybe a little bit more,” Ghodoussi says.

As far as they are concerned, their management contract will continue once a CEO arrives.

Kieran Trippier, “isn’t someone we’ll ever sell,” Staveley says of their recent signing from Atletico Madrid. “If he can play, he will stay.”

Other January targets like Sven Botman and Jesse Lingard, “wanted to come,” to Tyneside and Botman, the Lille defender, “still does very much,” Staveley says.

Newcastle’s women’s team will be paid “as professionals,” says Staveley and they want them to play at St James’ this season.

Alan Shearer’s statue will shortly be moved onto stadium ground, close to Sir Bobby Robson’s and “Nine Bar” will be turned back into “Shearer’s”.

They can “work with,” the Premier League’s new rules on associated party sponsorship.

They will “vigorously” defend legal action from Ashley for allegedly breaching the terms of a £10 million loan he provided to help facilitate the club’s £305 million sale in October.

It is enough to be going on with, enough to make your brain hurt. On a warm-weather training camp in Saudi last month, Staveley “didn’t go to bed for two days,” she says, as transfer deals back home percolated. “They’re four hours ahead and so you’re up until 3-4am, waiting to sign documents.” For a little while, Ghodoussi had trouble sleeping; his hands shook with fatigue.

• Like 2

“We also brought in Nick Hammond (who has filled director of football and consultancy roles at several clubs), to give us a sense check — ‘are these the right prices, are people trying to swindle us’?” says Ghodoussi.

“And what is the back story of the player we’re looking at?” says Staveley. “Let’s have references on everything, where he is, where he can go, where he’ll fit with the current team, how everyone will gel, character and so on, because actually understanding the chemistry of the team was really important.”

“We spoke to a lot of people and it was ‘ah, January, forget it’,” Ghodoussi says. “It was hard. Agents were leaking information, selling clubs would leak, you’d see your name associated with god knows who. Not only was it a difficult window, but everybody was thinking we had money to throw around. We walked away from deals because of that. We can’t set a precedent that we are there to buy at any cost.”

“There were times when I was screaming at agents,” Staveley says. “I think Eddie heard me using a word I would never normally use!”

• Like 2

“We were also 19th going into the window,” says Staveley. “So we had that, an illiquid market and the complexity of COVID, which meant clubs didn’t want to sell because they didn’t know where their squads would end up. We had to encourage players — ‘we’ll be a safe place for you, we’ll deliver and grow’. Some desperately wanted to come to us, like Sven (Botman), who still does very much and has talked very openly about that.

“Coming through all that showed us we can do it, that we can stick to our plan and if we get criticised on the last day for ‘oh, you’re going after Jesse (Lingard, the Manchester United winger)’, well, Jesse wanted to come to us. We did everything. We never stopped. From the start to the finish, we did not stop working.”

• Like 1

Does their outlay mean there will be less cash to play with in the summer. “Only in the sense of financial fair play (FFP),” Ghodoussi says. “This summer is going to be important for us. Are we going to bring in five players, two players, one? We don’t know. We’ll look at what the squad requires, we’ll look at the market and act accordingly. We don’t have any limitations in terms of what we can do until we hit FFP. We want to create a sustainable club.”

• Like 3

really interesting quotes. i wonder who this is - digne maybe

“We looked at one player in January and were a bit unsure about him. We bid for him but he joined another club. References came back that he was selfish. He’s an incredible player but not a team player. We wanted to make sure our chemistry is right.”

• Like 2