Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

12 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Given Tuchel signed the contract before the Greece game your theory on his appointment doesn't hold up.

I was being facetious, but the point still stands. They probably made their mind up after the first England camp. I imagine they canvassed opinions from the senior players on how it went. 

It's a lovely fantasy that we can grow our own coaches from the bottom up, but managing Bellingham, Kane, Foden, Grealish etc. isn't anywhere near the same as managing the U21s.

Southgate's pre-England managerial career makes him look like Capello compared to Carsley 

IMG_3536.thumb.png.2c913e768178b9e2e6696a80ce9403a4.png

6 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Also, any “good young coach” is going to fuck off first time a PL club come knocking. 

Leaving 2nd raters as 2nd fiddlers. 

Not if they can see a pathway through to the top job. Carsley won the World Cup without conceding a goal. He couldn’t have done any more to prove himself at U21’s.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I was being facetious, but the point still stands. They probably made their mind up after the first England camp. I imagine they canvassed opinions from the senior players on how it went. 

It's a lovely fantasy that we can grow our own coaches from the bottom up, but managing Bellingham, Kane, Foden, Grealish etc. isn't anywhere near the same as managing the U21s.

Southgate's pre-England managerial career makes him look like Capello compared to Carsley 

IMG_3536.thumb.png.2c913e768178b9e2e6696a80ce9403a4.png

And yet Spain won the Euros and Argentina the WC by promoting their unheralded U21 managers to the senior role.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Not if they can see a pathway through to the top job. Carsley won the World Cup without conceding a goal. He couldn’t have done any more to prove himself at U21’s.

Apples and Oranges :lol: 

Aidy Boothroyd, Howard Wilkinson, David Platt and Peter Taylor had good U21 records too

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Also, generally speaking PL clubs don't come knocking for up and coming English coaches without big club experience. They'd rather appoint someone like Lampard or a coach from abroad. 

There's definitely logic to the whole plan, but they appear to have abandoned it on its first road test. 

• Like 2

“You can’t just appoint the U21 managers”

”Well former U21 managers have just won the last two major international tournaments”

”OMG that’s completely different. It doesn’t count. Don’t try to bamboozle me with actual facts”

It’s like some people on here don’t appreciate the education they get from me.

• Haha 7

Look, it's very very simple. The FA wants an up and coming coach, who's got a long history of winning things, who has a good relationship with established internationals, but doesn't have any favourites. Whose first eleven is young and thrilling and experienced and assured. 

And by God he best be from England's green and pleasant land.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Screenshot_20241016-102114.thumb.png.ab8c57b3e7967fbaac019f93219cea2b.png

The Daily Mail's take. I fucking despise the press in this country. 

Them and the people who lap that dreck up are the huge silver lining when England fails to win a major tournament. I also think there’d be a completely different spin being put on his track record if he was joining Man Utd instead. There’s loads of precedent for foreign managers doing international jobs too of course. Although English exceptionalism and thinly veiled xenophobia is that paper’s default 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

Just now, Alex said:

Then and people who lap that dreck up are the huge silver lining when England fails to win a major tournament. I also think there’d be a completely different spin being put on his track record if he was joining Man Utd instead. There’s loads of precedent for foreign managers doing international jobs too if course. Although English exceptionalism and thinly veiled xenophobia is that paper’s default 

Aye I almost said "I hope he wins the world cup" when I posted that, but it's not like that paper wouldn't expect to be forgiven for every shitty thing they'd written about the bloke if he did. 

• Like 1

The football is going to be a Southgate level of gash to watch. Klopp 2.0 he is not - despite him being touted as such early in his career.

That being said, he'd not shit the bed if he leads us to a major final, and would set up a team to win even if it is 1-0 and fucking turgid.

Tuchel would have at least won the covid Euros - I am certain of that.

Another manager handed the chance of glory with the golden generation at his disposal, a much better golden generation than the last golden generation but probably not as brilliant as the next golden generation. 

14 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Another manager handed the chance of glory with the golden generation at his disposal, a much better golden generation than the last golden generation but probably not as brilliant as the next golden generation. 

I think this is a lot to do with it… the FA have looked at the talent available at the moment and can’t seriously see Carsley in charge of Jude Bellingham and Angel Gomes in spite of his success with the U21s. The alternative was Lampard or Gerrard who’d get respect in the changing room but have been shown to be fuckin useless. Once they’ve been ruled out it was a simple decision. 

They might as well shut that St George’s gaff down. The clubs produce the players but can’t produce the coaches. Because there’s huge money on offer to foreign coaches in the PL who have proved themselves to be canny operators on the continent. Are Brentford going to appoint Mark Robins or Michael Carrick if Franck was to go to Man Utd? There’s your problem. The FA have done what the clubs do, get the best man for the job with the (in this case considerable) money on offer :cuppa: 

• Like 2

International football is boring as shit, of course it is. It's knockout football, so you're better off with an excellent defensive outfit, rather than an exciting team. The coaches have little time to work with their players and it's probably wiser to spend that little time working on defensive responsibilities and shapes and relying on the natural ability of your forward to provide the goals.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

Hopefully'dYP

Absolutely not - Southgate has to get it. Southgate at club level is hilariously bad.

Allardyce would probably win them a league cup along with a top twelve finish and we'd quite literally never hear the end of it - from him or his pals in the press - even after he gets the bullet. Southgate relegates them.

I have no issue with the FA going for an established coach who can take a group of players that is pretty much ready to be and has come very close to, winning a tournament and give it another crack. It’s never going to be that easy, obviously but he’s someone that will definitely have a good plan for how to play and won’t be shoehorning players in to a lopsided tactic. I’m pretty sure we won’t be starting the World Cup with a right back in charge of the whole left side, for instance. What is more of a worry is that he falls out with every cunt and you can see him giving a bit back to the press and it all ending in tears 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I have no issue with the FA going for an established coach who can take a group of players that is pretty much ready to be and has come very close to, winning a tournament and give it another crack. It’s never going to be that easy, obviously but he’s someone that will definitely have a good plan for how to play and won’t be shoehorning players in to a lopsided tactic. I’m pretty sure we won’t be starting the World Cup with a right back in charge of the whole left side, for instance. What is more of a worry is that he falls out with every cunt and you can see him giving a bit back to the press and it all ending in tears 

I hope ends the Liverpool players in England kit first