Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

10 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

I bet Carsley thought fuck this. Don't blame him. 

Aye. Given his recent comments about going back to the U21’s he obviously knew this was on the cards and picked that team for the Greece match half cut on Skol and Guinness.

• Haha 2

I like the appointment, but it's a pretty sad indictment of the FA's grand succession planning that they haven't got a viable successor. We're straight back to "pick a foreign bloke that's won something". 

Was it Ashworth that set this failed system up? 

• Like 4

System only works if the successor wants the job. I don’t know if Carsley was definitely sounded out but the reaction to the Greece game might’ve made his mind up. Ruched seems very tactically astute anyway, which is probably the most important thing at international level 

• Like 2

I don't think you offer it to Carsley, and only then sound out Pep and Ancelotti. There's talk that they'd already spoken with Pep in the summer too. 

You also don't appoint Carsley on an interim basis if the plan is for him to get the job. 

I'm telling you, this all comes back to Dan Ashworth being a useless prick. :lol:

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I don't think you offer it to Carsley, and only then sound out Pep and Ancelotti. There's talk that they'd already spoken with Pep in the summer too. 

You also don't appoint Carsley on an interim basis if the plan is for him to get the job. 

I'm telling you, this all comes back to Dan Ashworth being a useless prick. :lol:

Yeah, all fair points. 
Allardyce was Ashworth’s man too. Hopefully he continues to get his way and Southgate is next up at Man Utd 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

A German not wanting to takeover Poland is unusual. 

(rearrange that sentence if it doesn’t scan, I have 3 times and it still doesn’t look right)

👍🏻

;) 

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Yeah, all fair points. 
Allardyce was Ashworth’s man too. Hopefully he continues to get his way and Southgate is next up at Man Utd 

I think you're right that Carsley didn't want it btw. But that is just FURTHER EVIDENCE of Ashworth's failings, because surely the first question you'd ask your chosen successor for the big job is "would you like to do it if the opportunity arose?" 

It all comes back to the tool at the hub of the wheel. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Unusual for a German not to want to takeover Poland.

(rearrange that sentence if it doesn’t scan, I have 3 times and it still doesn’t look right)

It is unusual, that a German Poland not to takeover wants.

tumblr_mn5ewqDQuc1sqw0fjo1_400.gif

• Haha 8

33 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I think you're right that Carsley didn't want it btw. But that is just FURTHER EVIDENCE of Ashworth's failings, because surely the first question you'd ask your chosen successor for the big job is "would you like to do it if the opportunity arose?" 

I don't see why Carsley wouldn't want it. His comments after the Greece game were obviously that he knew that the job was going to someone else. Giving it to Carsley on an interim basis made sense because if no one else became available it allowed the FA to see how Carsley was performing in the top job and if he was doing okay then it was an easy fall back option and 'evidence' that the pathway for English managers is working. I don't see why they didn't give him a chance full time anyway, he won the World Cup with the U21's and all the players he had seem to really rate him so he couldn't do much more.

What seems strange to me is that they didn't sound out Howe at all. He's the standout English manager at the moment and was clearly making noises during the summer that he wasn't happy so if being English means anything when it comes to the England manager's job then it was definitely worth a conversation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I like the appointment, but it's a pretty sad indictment of the FA's grand succession planning that they haven't got a viable successor. We're straight back to "pick a foreign bloke that's won something". 

Was it Ashworth that set this failed system up? 

I mean they tried that, then Carsley thought he was playing FIFA and started 6 attackers against Greece, we got humped and they obviously thought "fuck this, let's just get a decent manager". Tuchel being the best of the managers currently out of work. 

The number of supposedly serious pundits moaning about us hiring a German is hilarious. No-one can say who we should have hired instead btw 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I mean they tried that, then Carsley thought he was playing FIFA and started 6 attackers against Greece, we got humped and they obviously thought "fuck this, let's just get a decent manager". Tuchel being the best of the managers currently out of work. 

The number of supposedly serious pundits moaning about us hiring a German is hilarious. No-one can say who we should have hired instead btw 

I don't believe for a second that the Greece match changed anything. They didn't take a look at Carsley and look at one another and go "What do you reckon? Do you think Pep's better? Shall we ask him?" 

If England had beaten Greece, Carsley still wouldn't be getting announced today. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Given Tuchel signed the contract before the Greece game your theory on his appointment doesn't hold up.

Three days ago, this cunt was making the case for Pep for England. Today he thinks the England manager should be English.

Ladies and gentlemen, please be upstanding for the Chief Football Writer at the Daily Telegraph. 

• Haha 5
  • Jaysus... 2

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

the FA's grand succession planning

I honestly don’t see how this would ever work- which coach worth his salt is going to fuck on with junior international tournaments for 6-7 years, playing second fiddle waiting for his gaffer to fuck up? 
If they saw it through, it was only ever going to produce duffers for the top job. 

Different story at club level, but international? Nah. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I honestly don’t see how this would ever work- which coach worth his salt is going to fuck on with junior international tournaments for 6-7 years, playing second fiddle waiting for his gaffer to fuck up? 
If they saw it through, it was only ever going to produce duffers for the top job. 

Different story at club level, but international? Nah. 

It was meant to be this "England DNA" thing though, where they're literally identified as a good young coach and groomed for the top job. 

But the FA hasn't got the balls to follow through when there are shiny baubles to be won. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

It was meant to be this "England DNA" thing though, where they're literally identified as a good young coach and groomed for the top job. 

But the FA hasn't got the balls to follow through when there are shiny baubles to be won. 

Also, any “good young coach” is going to fuck off first time a PL club come knocking. 

Leaving 2nd raters as 2nd fiddlers.