Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

46 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Apart from the shape of the ball, what exactly 🤷‍♂️

The limited tackles.  I.e both have 6 tackles or advances.

Both allow fat people to have a go.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

The limited tackles.  I.e both have 6 tackles or advances.

Both allow fat people to have a go.

American football has unlimited advances until you score (if you get minimum 10 yards each 4 attempts)

Those big NFL guys aren't fat, they're bulked up, within the bulk they are ripped. saw a Dr explain it once, they have a lower % total body fat but significantly greater fat mass than someone of comparable size.

48 minutes ago, ewerk said:

You have to laugh at Everton. The case had absolutely nothing to do with them, they're sitting there minding their own business and yet still find themselves potentially fucked once again as a result of it. :lol: 

They even gave evidence on behalf of Man City. A case that called out the fact that not including shareholder loans (of which they have more than anyone at £450m) was unlawful, and they turned up to support it. 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

American football has unlimited advances until you score (if you get minimum 10 yards each 4 attempts)

Those big NFL guys aren't fat, they're bulked up, within the bulk they are ripped. saw a Dr explain it once, they have a lower % total body fat but significantly greater fat mass than someone of comparable size.

Img_2024_10_09_09_06_47.jpeg.8b7a53cacd3b8758704fda921bde460d.jpeg

"I'M JUST BIG BONED MUTHAFUCKA!" 

• Haha 2

American footballers could be Heracles reincarnated but the game they play, (to my eyes) is colossally shit to watch. I'm not a rugby fan at all but I'd sit and watch that before I'd watch NFL. I'm convinced America's problems largely stem from having shit sports where fans can't let off steam properly instead of sitting munching on hotdogs whilst the latest score is 78-125 or something.

• Haha 1

No corporate sponsorship of “THE SUPERBOWL”…. ie that’s “it” ; it’s not “the Super Bowl brought to you in association with Budweiser/John Deere/Pepsi… that’s not the case with the FA Cup anymore is it? … see also the various widely watched college sports titles. 

The college draft system..the worst team gets first dabs on the best college players. 

Basically in some regards US sport is COMMUNISM 😆

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

They even gave evidence on behalf of Man City. A case that called out the fact that not including shareholder loans (of which they have more than anyone at £450m) was unlawful, and they turned up to support it. 

i think everton will be okay. didn't someone say that shareholder loans may need to be turned into equity and is that not the direction of everton anyway?

this APT stuff confuses me.

if you or i sign a contract and one clause is incorrect i thought it invalidated the entire contract, not just that clause. i don't know.

so if, as has been shown to be the case, a clause in the apt rules is incorrect, shouldn't that invalidate the apt rules? i don't know.

i suspect not as the media tell us the PL won the case.

anyway

city were refused 2 deals by PL under APT rules.

city take it to tribunal.

tribunal say some rules are unlawful.

city given permission to seek compensation

i don't get how the PL could have won this case yet the loser is allowed to seek compensation.

maybe there's a little spin in play. on all sides.

it won't happen but i would love city to get compensation and then donate the award to local grass roots football.

29 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

American footballers could be Heracles reincarnated but the game they play, (to my eyes) is colossally shit to watch. I'm not a rugby fan at all but I'd sit and watch that before I'd watch NFL. I'm convinced America's problems largely stem from having shit sports where fans can't let off steam properly instead of sitting munching on hotdogs whilst the latest score is 78-125 or something.

Surprisingly for a nation with the average intellect of a slug, American football is an extremely nuanced and complex sport.

It's relentlessly exciting when you understand what's happening. I'd watch it over anything other than NUFC (it rarely clashes with the cricket).

Been having these "it's shit, just fat blokes running into each other" arguments on and off for over 30 years so I'll leave it there.

17 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Surprisingly for a nation with the average intellect of a slug, American football is an extremely nuanced and complex sport.

It's relentlessly exciting when you understand what's happening.

John Candy No GIF by Laff

• Haha 4
  • Jaysus... 1

2 hours ago, LondonBlue said:

this APT stuff confuses me.

if you or i sign a contract and one clause is incorrect i thought it invalidated the entire contract, not just that clause. i don't know.

so if, as has been shown to be the case, a clause in the apt rules is incorrect, shouldn't that invalidate the apt rules? i don't know.

i suspect not as the media tell us the PL won the case.

anyway

city were refused 2 deals by PL under APT rules.

city take it to tribunal.

tribunal say some rules are unlawful.

city given permission to seek compensation

i don't get how the PL could have won this case yet the loser is allowed to seek compensation.

maybe there's a little spin in play. on all sides.

it won't happen but i would love city to get compensation and then donate the award to local grass roots football.

Most legal contracts will provide that if one clause is found to be unenforceable the balance stands. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

My understanding was that in this case City only had to win on one count.

Didn't they win on all counts though?

3 hours ago, Toonpack said:

It's relentlessly exciting when you understand what's happening. I'd watch it over anything other than NUFC (it rarely clashes with the cricket).

Been having these "it's shit, just fat blokes running into each other" arguments on and off for over 30 years so I'll leave it there.

It's boring because for every 10 seconds of explosive action there is 10 minutes of setting up, and annoying American commentary and constant adverts..

When it's good it's great IMO, but there's too much shite in between for me.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

It's boring because for every 10 seconds of explosive action there is 10 minutes of setting up, and annoying American commentary and constant adverts..

When it's good it's great IMO, but there's too much shite in between for me.

Is 40 seconds 10 minutes in accountant time (for billing purposes I assume).

I like the analysis the breaks allow tbh

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Nah, they won on two counts but failed on the majority.

To me, the main thing that matters is that they won on the rules being unlawful. They're unlawful because they exclude shareholder loans. And it's unlikely that they're just going to say "oh well we'll include them then", because of the impact it would have. 

So it's back to the drawing board on the APT rules.

The PL won on stuff like City saying that the rules were set up to discriminate against gulf state owners, etc. Well done lads, but your rules are still for shit, and you'll need some new ones. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Is 40 seconds 10 minutes in accountant time (for billing purposes I assume).

I like the analysis the breaks allow tbh

I've billed people for an entire day for work I've cracked using ODBC linked spreadsheets in under 15 minutes, so you aren't that far off :lol:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

I've billed people for an entire day for work I've cracked using ODBC linked spreadsheets in under 15 minutes, so you aren't that far off :lol:

I've worked with accountants - "Day or part thereof" lovely words !!!

• Haha 2