Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

Where was the fair market value police when Ashley was massively taking the piss? Honestly hate the rampant corruption in the PL, it absolutely stinks. 

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Where was the fair market value police when Ashley was massively taking the piss? Honestly hate the rampant corruption in the PL, it absolutely stinks. 

It was definitely fair market value when Ashley turned SJP into a giant Sports Direct advert for, checks notes, zero money because that was the value we held to the PL's decision-makers. It only became unfair when we looked like we could become another a city because they wanted to keep us where we were. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It was definitely fair market value when Ashley turned SJP into a giant Sports Direct advert for, checks notes, zero money because that was the value we held to the PL's decision-makers. It only became unfair when we looked like we could become another a city because they wanted to keep us where we were. 

But the apparent point is to make things fair and sustainable, we were being ripped off by the malevolent owner, other clubs have been in similar or worse boats and not a single fuck is given. We couldn't compete and the PL seems to be 'ok, that is actually fine, actually.' rather than, 'hmmn, that doesn't seem fair?' It's a glass ceiling and UEFA are just as bad as they've based all their changes through the years with the fear that R Madrid, Juventus etc fuck off and do their own thing. The PL have kowtowed to the red cunts for years, chuck Tottenham in as well just before the PL started through their fucking wanton greed. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, LondonBlue said:

who knows how they'll resolve it. it's a mess though.

clubs with shareholder loans will quite reasonably say we followed the rules.

clubs without shareholder loans will say they were disadvantaged.

don't see how rules can be backdated.

best guess is some sort of amnesty for the past and some sort of new rules.

open warfare amongst the 20 PL clubs at their next meet up. maybe some fisticuffs.

the premier league started this and only have themselves to blame.

Agree with this but it's further complicated by the fact they imposed a points deduction on Forest last season. Surely they've got an argument to say they've been treated inconsistently.

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

But the apparent point is to make things fair and sustainable, we were being ripped off by the malevolent owner, other clubs have been in similar or worse boats and not a single fuck is given. We couldn't compete and the PL seems to be 'ok, that is actually fine, actually.' rather than, 'hmmn, that doesn't seem fair?' It's a glass ceiling and UEFA are just as bad as they've based all their changes through the years with the fear that R Madrid, Juventus etc fuck off and do their own thing. The PL have kowtowed to the red cunts for years, chuck Tottenham in as well just before the PL started through their fucking wanton greed. 

i say let them fuck off to the european super league. the PL and UEFA can continue as it is without the bending over for the closed shop cartel of greedy clubs

• Like 1

I’ve avoided reading most of the stuff regarding yesterday as they are surely just going to find a new way to fuck us over.

You would of thought us spending a few billion on talent would only improve the image of the PL around the world and make it more desirable to watch.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I’ve avoided reading most of the stuff regarding yesterday as they are surely just going to find a new way to fuck us over.

You would of thought us spending a few billion on talent would only improve the image of the PL around the world and make it more desirable to watch.

an upstart club breaking the Man City monopoly is a good narrative you’d think but they want to protect PL brand, which like it or not, is built around a small group of clubs and their global fanbase. It’s those clubs which add the value when the PL negotiate with TV companies.

• Like 1

That’s the PL’s position btw, not mine, I think it’s bullshit and we’d soon develop an international fan base to rival Man U, Man Citt and Liverpool if we were allowed to compete 

• Like 1

used to be football was beautiful all the time

then came rules and regulation written by hundreds of monkeys on typewriters and now surprise surprise football is in turmoil

maybe this is the NFL secretly buying into clubs, trying to destroy soccer, so that American Football can take over the world. nah despite the obvious existence of a cartel, i'm not a conspiracy theorist.

23 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

used to be football was beautiful all the time

then came rules and regulation written by hundreds of monkeys on typewriters and now surprise surprise football is in turmoil

maybe this is the NFL secretly buying into clubs, trying to destroy soccer, so that American Football can take over the world. nah despite the obvious existence of a cartel, i'm not a conspiracy theorist.

the problem with that theory is american football is poor imitation of rugby and few people outside of the states give that much of a shit about it. football is the global game and american football will never reach the same number of eyeballs 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

The superbowl has half the viewership of the champions league final 

you wouldn't think so given the fuss they make about it. and don't get me started on the "world" series 

The insane amount of time and effort that the PL and Masters will need to dedicate to off the pitch legal issues as a result of bending over backwards to appease some American owners is fucking beyond belief. It’s a shambles from front to back and if Masters isn’t sent packing after this, I’ll be amazed. All of this because they were absolutely terrified that a team in 19th, with no wins, had been taken over and injected with some potential. FWIW, if there’s any argument to be made that we’ve lost earnings with an unlawful rule, I’d expect us to be the next in line with a legal challenge 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

The insane amount of time and effort that the PL and Masters will need to dedicate to off the pitch legal issues as a result of bending over backwards to appease some American owners is fucking beyond belief. It’s a shambles from front to back and if Masters isn’t sent packing after this, I’ll be amazed. All of this because they were absolutely terrified that a team in 19th, with no wins, had been taken over and injected with some potential. FWIW, if there’s any argument to be made that we’ve lost earnings with an unlawful rule, I’d expect us to be the next in line with a legal challenge 

i suspect you're on a watch and see brief. But i would love it if you raised a compensation request the moment ours completes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LondonBlue said:

i suspect you're on a watch and see brief. But i would love it if you raised a compensation request the moment ours completes.

We played it so carefully that there were probably no deals which were rejected, as opposed to your lot.  However, I would like to see us being front and centre if they start mucking around with the rules to allow some sort of amnesty. 

I would have thought that the PL will have to increase the PSR limit so that Liverpool, Arsenal, and Chelsea are caught up with the theoretical interest payments resulting in PSR breaches, but that's probably fine from our point of view at this stage.  The PL won't be bothered about Everton or Brighton, though.

14 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

the problem with that theory is american football is poor imitation of rugby and few people outside of the states give that much of a shit about it. football is the global game and american football will never reach the same number of eyeballs 

American foooball is an entirely diifferent game to rugby, it's like saying Aussie rules is just an imitation of Rugby just because the balls are the same shape.

I do, however, believe the real danger to football comes from the American owners, I have no doubt they'll want the NFL style franchise/closed shop structure with the teams not part of that, basically left to rot.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Some of NFL does go in line with RL actually.

Apart from the shape of the ball, what exactly 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

The PL won't be bothered about Everton or Brighton, though.

You have to laugh at Everton. The case had absolutely nothing to do with them, they're sitting there minding their own business and yet still find themselves potentially fucked once again as a result of it. :lol: 

• Haha 6

45 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Apart from the shape of the ball, what exactly 🤷‍♂️

1. Kick offs 

2. limited attempts to move field position ie 7 downs/6 tackles before turnover 

3. No competitive set piece at re start when ball goes out of play 

:cuppa:

Edited by PaddockLad