Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

13 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

they've been on a steady decline since we poached gouffran from them.

Ten years ago I met the great Frenchman.

1 hour ago, OTF said:

Ten years ago I met the great Frenchman.

What’s that got to do with Gouffran? 

• Haha 2

Sounds like a club worth buying on the cheap, have a nice French farm to produce and develop talent.

58 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Sounds like a club worth buying on the cheap, have a nice French farm to produce and develop talent.

Didn't they get demoted down the leagues? 

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Didn't they get demoted down the leagues? 

Don't know enough about them, but Bordeaux is a big city, with a huge area to pull talent from. Buy it on the cheap (or set up a brand new team), spend a stack of cash on the academy, use the EU membership to bring in players who might struggle to get a UK visa straight away. 

Game Stop GIF

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Don't know enough about them, but Bordeaux is a big city, with a huge area to pull talent from. Buy it on the cheap (or set up a brand new team), spend a stack of cash on the academy, use the EU membership to bring in players who might struggle to get a UK visa straight away. 

Game Stop GIF

I mean they've rabbited on about multi-club ownership models in the past, and there's a fairly decent one in France going for spares and repairs, so it's not a bad shout.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Game Stop GIF

My point being they got relegated to the 3rd division of French football. So you've got the ballache of getting back up 2 divisions from scratch before you can start sourcing good young talent as a feeder club. At the minute it would be like buying a Shrewsbury and trying to use it as a feeder club 

20 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Not even Shrewsbury, haven’t they turned amateur?

That’s a bit mental, not to mention sad. 6 times French champions, the last time only 15 years ago. Multiple seasons in Europe. Had some great players down the years too including two of the ‘Carre Magique’ - Giresse and Tigana. And even more famously 3 who won the World Cup in 98 (Zidane, Dugarry and Lizarazu). 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Alex said:

That’s a bit mental, not to mention sad. 6 times French champions, the last time only 15 years ago. Multiple seasons in Europe. Had some great players down the years too including two of the ‘Carre Magique’ - Giresse and Tigana. And even more famously 3 who won the World Cup in 98 (Zidane, Dugarry and Lizarazu). 

I don’t think Shrewsbury were ever French champions tbh

22 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

I don’t think Shrewsbury were ever French champions tbh

honey boo boo thumbs down GIF

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

My point being they got relegated to the 3rd division of French football. So you've got the ballache of getting back up 2 divisions from scratch before you can start sourcing good young talent as a feeder club. At the minute it would be like buying a Shrewsbury and trying to use it as a feeder club 

Troyes have been up and down the leagues since they've been a part of City Group. They'd be the ones in the third tier if Bordeaux hadn't had their issues and got placed there. It wouldn't be too much hassle to get Bordeaux stable again.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, The Mighty Hog said:

Troyes have been up and down the leagues since they've been a part of City Group. They'd be the ones in the third tier if Bordeaux hadn't had their issues and got placed there. It wouldn't be too much hassle to get Bordeaux stable again.

€350 million debt is a bit more than “hassle”

Other than shagging one of sky sports presenters in the 90s whilst at Boro and being known for liking a pint you don't hear too much about Robson whilst shilton is a well known gammon/Brexit/'woke' obsessed Tory cunt so was amusing reading this. :lol:

• Haha 4

Robson did a talk at a local club recently and a few mates went. Said he was good value, quite interesting about Man U under Atkinson and England in the 80s. They also said that they counted that he drank between 12 and 16 bottles of Budweiser whilst doing his Q & A :lol: I think reading between the lines over the years  that he’s possibly always been a (very high) functioning alcoholic..

• Haha 5

22 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Robson did a talk at a local club recently and a few mates went. Said he was good value, quite interesting about Man U under Atkinson and England in the 80s. They also said that they counted that he drank between 12 and 16 bottles of Budweiser whilst doing his Q & A :lol: I think reading between the lines over the years  that he’s possibly always been a (very high) functioning alcoholic..

Chester Le Street lad Brian Robson. I used to live in the same cul de sac as his 2 brothers. He got us tickets in the posh seats to see England vs Sweden in the Umbro Cup at Elland Road in 1995. Was sat on the same row as Stan Collymore and Alex Ferguson :D 

edit - just checked the team. Shearer, Barton and Beardsley all playing. Gazza came off the bench 

Edited by Kid Dynamite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

Other than shagging one of sky sports presenters in the 90s whilst at Boro and being known for liking a pint you don't hear too much about Robson whilst shilton is a well known gammon/Brexit/'woke' obsessed Tory cunt so was amusing reading this. :lol:

Speaking of said SSN presenter, this makes me feel old...

IMG_2258.jpeg.83e2abf61ad0c08631e7888dbcab4ba1.jpeg

IMG_2257.thumb.jpeg.ce290870388f36e3d15fbd03b4d89ecc.jpeg

• Haha 5

Bryan Robson was an absolutely superb player. He’s massively underrated these days imo. He had everything you’d want in a central midfield player including the ability to score goals when his team most needed it. Rumoured he took everything going as well drinking lager like it was going out if fashion. 

• Like 4

See that 18 yr old, best defender in the history of the universe, Man U signed has fucked his foot (again evidently) and is out for 3 months, that's a pity!

Hojlund twat crocked as well but few weeks for him.

10 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

See that 18 yr old, best defender in the history of the universe, Man U signed has fucked his foot (again evidently) and is out for 3 months, that's a pity!

Hojlund twat crocked as well but few weeks for him.

Rashford went off injured for them yesterday as well.