Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

4 hours ago, ewerk said:

As I said in 2021 NUFC are definitely going to be invited this time now we’re owned by venal capitalist bastards. In the same way as Sir John Hall could see the shiny bright bauble of the Premier League coming a mile off then I think we’ll now see PiF’s true intentions  :cuppa:

Was speaking to a mate on Tuesday. He pays £792 for a bog standard Gallowgate seat. Fairly sure they don’t want the likes of us cluttering up the stands long term though 😑

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

As I said in 2021 NUFC are definitely going to be invited this time now we’re owned by venal capitalist bastards. In the same way as Sir John Hall could see the shiny bright bauble of the Premier League coming a mile off then I think we’ll now see PiF’s true intentions  :cuppa:

What I thought was interesting about the ESL’s announcement today was that the matches would be shown for free. If they’re not making their money through TV rights then they need to be backed by someone with very deep pockets. Sound like anyone we know?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

What I thought was interesting about the ESL’s announcement today was that the matches would be shown for free. If they’re not making their money through TV rights then they need to be backed by someone with very deep pockets. Sound like anyone we know?

If they show them for free then the sponsorship must be fucking nuts. We'll have ESL strips covered head to toe in logos, players forced to have tattoos of sponsors.

and the awful American thing of:

"This set piece is brought to by....." every free kick, corner, pen, goal kick etc.

Sounds fucking dreadful tbh.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I honstly think th ESL would fail.

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I think we’re about to eclipse several serial killers and the current iteration of the UK Conservative Party for unpopularity :D 

8 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I honstly think th ESL would fail.

Of course it would. 

Once the 'legacy' fans are priced out, the atmosphere will dull and eventually fizzle out. Attendances will drop because tourists won't fill the stadiums and the 'product' won't be as interesting without the atmosphere and variety. Local fans won't want to pour any of their money into a league that has no history, no spectacle. If every match is 'special' no match is special.

It's the typical top down approach; people like X, lets give them more X. 

• Like 1

don't worry though. this time it's "merit-based" 

and you can play in the star league despite not finishing in the top 4 in your own domestic league, which means the "elite" clubs in that tier will just sack off their domestic league matches 

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

don't worry though. this time it's "merit-based" 

and you can play in the star league despite not finishing in the top 4 in your own domestic league, which means the "elite" clubs in that tier will just sack off their domestic league matches 

Two squads. That’ll make transfer windows interesting 🤨 

5 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Star league, Gold league and Blue league. Who came up with this convoluted shite?

A marketing company employed by a billion dollar person/company. Because both of those entities will have a real idea about what football fans need/want.

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

So they have developed a system that will ensure that the top clubs stay at the top, regardless of their league form - So the ESL is the footballing equivalent of FFP. Yeah, go fuck yourself ESL.

The only real way to get into the "star" league is to be one of the current biggest teams in Europe as you'll be invited in. 

It all feels very American - like the NFL etc, just a pure unadulterated parcel of shit that no one asked for.

• Like 3