The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread 2018 -2019

Anorthernsoul

7 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

It's gonna cost him more in Jan that it would now though so just seems stupid.

I think with the World Cup approaching, anybody that isn't playing regularly in the first half of the season might become available on loan. Whether we take advantage of that is another question entirely

Well if anyone was under any illusion as to were we stand/stood with Ashley it's there for all to see. Yet again he's shafted Benitez & the fans all in the public eye once again were the laughing stock of football. 

Edited by trooper

This from the Chronicle

Over the course of the last 10 days, Benitez has freed more than £200,000 a week from the wage budget by offloading Emmanuel Riviere, Siem de Jong, Grant Hanley and Lazaar, yet he was not given the scope by which to reinvest those funds.

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

It's gonna cost him more in Jan that it would now though so just seems stupid.

He's gambling that Rafa will have almost secured survival by then so he doesn't have to spend much in January either. Remember that year he did the same with pardew who then went on a massive losing streak and we barely just survived?

If we're in the relegation mix he'll sanction some panic buy funds, reactive rather than proactive, gambling we can survive on the cheap as per.

1 hour ago, OTF said:

Too early to say whether we'll be alright, West Ham were atrocious and we've beeb rubbish in our other games and patches of that one too.

We're ammost certainly going to be in the relegation candidates. If we survive it'll be because of Rafa's coaching skills and despite Ashley's best efforts to send us down again.

No one can convince me that his club is not the cash cow flush with cash. We have sold big and bought cheap in the last few transfer windows. Out of ten years under Mike Ashley's reign eight of those have been in the Premier League. Until two years ago, St. James' Park was the 5th largest PL stadium by capacity. How on earth is it that we have "to sell in order to sign"?

It's all bullshit. I've said it before and I'll say it again that Ashley is a robber baron. We deserve better and he should be called out on it in the media constantly.

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

We're ammost certainly going to be in the relegation candidates. If we survive it'll be because of Rafa's coaching skills and despite Ashley's best efforts to send us down again.

I'm not confident he'll be here by January i think he'll be long gone especially if Billic gets peddelled in the next couple of weeks. Rafa's who they want he's been treated shockingly here, he's unhappy, there's no project. Rafa's probably just waiting for the phone call to get him away from this lot.

3 minutes ago, LooneyToony said:

No one can convince me that his club is not the cash cow flush with cash. We have sold big and bought cheap in the last few transfer windows. Out of ten years under Mike Ashley's reign eight of those have been in the Premier League. Until two years ago, St. James' Park was the 5th largest PL stadium by capacity. How on earth is it that we have "to sell in order to sign"?

It's all bullshit. I've said it before and I'll say it again that Ashley is a robber baron. We deserve better and he should be called out on it in the media constantly.

It's the owner's decision so that's the reason. I don't think it's a great way of making money however (owning a Premier League football club that is).

22 minutes ago, LooneyToony said:

So, the club didn't have the money to close the deals Rafa wanted?

Well, we don't know how much the owner was willing to spend on players, but the evidence suggests not a lot. Therefore, if that is the case then the club didn't have a lot. But that's a different issue, you were saying the club is a 'cash cow flush with cash', which suggests it's generating large profits year on year. I don't that's the case for any Premier League club tbh. As has been said, it's not a great way of making money. I think there's an argument that the owner uses the club's profile in order to push his brand. But that's a different issue too. Don't get me wrong, I can't fucking stand the fat cunt, but there's not £100m lying around that the club has made over the last x amount of years. We'll have made a sizeable loss last year for a kick off. That's largely the owner's fault too imo but it doesn't make this cash you're on about suddenly appear.

Most of the new money in football has gone straight into the players pockets in wages, transfer bonuses, loyalty payments and agents fees.

It really is a false picture. It just looks like there is loads more money but the players demands have risen in proportion.

Average players now earn 3/4 million a year. That was unheard of only  a little while ago. Top players now earn 12/15 million a year. A club like ours that hasn't a big branding, adv and marketing footprint and reliant mainly on the TV money can't really compete just like the bottom half of the PL. We're almost at the point where the top 6 could form their own breakaway Euro league. Back in the day where it was more about making money from attendance and shirt and so on we were right up there. Now we are basically competing with the bottom half of the PL and the top 3/4 of the Ch.

We all know that money is incoming and should have been invested now rather than later (just because it isn't on the books yet) but there still is a case to be made with reg to the ridiculous fees and wages has shut us out of the type of player we needed a few of. Players to go into the first team. They now cost 20m plus and 4/5m a year in wages...For this kind of player we are now playing catch up with our limited financials.

It doesn't mean we can't compete ever again but it is a long slow road. You need a model (like Southampton) and very hands on and knowledgeable management throughout the club. They have 41 scouts for instance and the way they play is copied right through from the Youth program to the PL first 11 and a million other things they do. Not just some fat Muppet talking shit from his villa in Spain/Surrey. :lol:

Edited by Park Life

4 minutes ago, Park Life said:

Most of the new money in football has gone straight into the players pockets in wages, transfer bonuses, loyalty payments and agents fees.

It really is a false picture. It just looks like there is loads more money but the players demands have risen in proportion.

Average players now earn 3/4 million a year. That was unheard of only  a little while ago. Top players now earn 12/15 million a year. A club like ours that hasn't a big branding, adv and marketing footprint and reliant mainly on the TV money can't really compete just like the bottom half of the PL. We're almost at the point where the top 6 could form their own breakaway Euro league. Back in the day where it was more about making money from attendance and shirt and so on we were right up there.

It doesn't mean we can't compete ever again but it is a long slow road. You need a model (like Southampton) and very hands on and knowledgeable management throughout the club. They have 41 scouts for instance and the way they play is copied right through from the Youth program to the PL first 11 and a million other things they do. Not just some fat Muppet talking shit from his villa in Spain/Surrey. :lol:

Doesn't help that we give advertising space away free to SD

30 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

This is a good read as to how much revenue we are missing out on.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2008/01/04/the-cost-to-advertise-during-a-premier-league-match/

For a PL game that's roughly half a mill a match. :huh:

Ours seem to only show Bet365, Flannels (Ashley brand) SD and PUMA. Two of those are partner brands anyway and probably not paying. Other grounds have a myriad inc Tyre manufactures, airlines, luxury goods etc

Edited by Park Life