The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread 2018 -2019

Anorthernsoul

This from Rafa 

"Mike convinced me he would give us the last penny of the money available"

“We are not asking for more, we are asking for the money we can use"

Sounds like they're trying to with hold Rafa's transfer spending money

22 minutes ago, Park Life said:

Still need 2/3 PL ready players. I have my doubts.

LB, CM, No.10

No hope we are buying a LB. We've got Dummett, Haidara, Lazaar and Manquillo that can play there now. Desperate for a striker though, if Gayle gets injured we are fucked

As the big spenders put their check books away, the market will get a bit more realistic and we'll move. Way too early to panic.

Except for the third kit... can't find it in fat bastard size (though I saw Ryder wearing one so maybe I am looking in the wrong places).

• Like 1

Colback and Anita were our starting central midfield pairing for the first half of that season. It's also worth remembering that If Rafa had come in earlier we would have likely stayed up, he got 3 wins and 4 draws from 10 games and we only got 6 wins and 6 draws from the prior 28 games under McClaren.

I'm not saying I am really happy with the squad as it currently is but I think it's definitely stronger in at least the midfield and front line (fwiw I also think going in with Mbemba, Lascelles, Clark, Lejeune is better than Mbemba, Lascelles, Taylor, Colocinni). It's also going to make a big difference having a capable coaching and management team from the start of the season (with 2 pre-seasons and a full season under their belt with the team). 

Edited by Howay

Agreed. But the lack of progress with transfers is a concern with the new season rapidly approaching. I think we already have enough to stay up with Rafa in charge but it'd be nice if we invested while we're lucky enough to have a class coach for once.

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Agreed. But the lack of progress with transfers is a concern with the new season rapidly approaching. I think we already have enough to stay up with Rafa in charge but it'd be nice if we invested while we're lucky enough to have a class coach for once.

I think Rafa is waiting on some players leaving but I agree it's not ideal. Aye this window hasn't been as exciting as people would have hoped, I'm hoping that this one is just Rafa aiming for survival and once that's accomplished he will try kicking on in future windows.  

Think Benitez suggested before we'd signed anyone that we might not have a great team on paper next season but that spirit and competition for places would see us through. We'll be absolutely fine, would like to see a striker still and some real competition for Shelvey... he needs keeping on his toes more than most.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

some real competition for Shelvey... he needs keeping on his toes more than most.

Totally agree with this but I think competition for Hayden or better is even more of a priority.

Probably #10 >>> Striker > Midfielder, for me.

6 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Ah and #10 is a real issue. Probably more than any

Aye agreed, people say De Jong has looked ok in the friendlies but I have real trouble trusting a bloke that seems like he is made of paper mache to last the season. 

10 minutes ago, adios said:

Totally agree with this but I think competition for Hayden or better is even more of a priority.

Probably #10 >>> Striker > Midfielder, for me.

Was Cabaye shit for Palace last season? I'd have no problem playing him with either of those two. Think he'd happily come back as well. It's hard to ignore how wank we were when Shelvey got banned last season. Completely stifled our attacking playing. 

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

6 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Was Cabaye shit for Palace last season? I'd have no problem playing him with either of those two. Think he'd happily come back as well

Aye i'd fancy a Cabaye, Shelvey partnership in the middle 

4 minutes ago, trooper said:

We've still only got a team that'll do well in the Championship at the moment.

It'll be fine in the Premier League as well like. Not pretty or anything but it's got the work ethic that tends to see most promoted clubs get by. The ones that struggle are generally the ones with the smaller squads. Plus Rafa. Think a lot of people want too much too soon. Myself included