SJW Snowflakes

adios

FWIW, I would still suggest discussion on this point bringing out a positive outcome, rather than just going in there and tearing things down. Especially since public opinion in the US appears to be that the statues should remain. Also worth noting that 31% of Americans believe that Antifa and the Nazis were as bad as each other in Charlottesville. 28% believe the Nazis were at fault.

Believe it or not, I don't make the points I do because I'm a "Nazi". I want the left to win this, obviously (as based on my endless droning on in the other politics threads), because as I have said repeatedly, if it doesn't the populist right will. But the message needs to resonate with enough people - I'm sorry but it does. You need an inclusive, economics based social justice agenda to make this work. You can't demonise the white working classes irrespective of how much you may want to/how much they 'deserve' it.

But look, if we have to go for anyone, let's go for middle class white men. Let's make them the enemy. The left could probably win on that. It's not the right solution IMO, but at least it stands a chance of winning.

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

I don't understand this thread. Who the fuck are Milo and Sargon etc.

But holy fuck, is Rayvin officially a massive racist now? Disgusting. 

Yeah, it happened overnight - obviously this is a difficult time for me, I'm not quite sure where to go from here. I think I'm supposed to start voting Tory now..?

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Also worth noting that 31% of Americans believe that Antifa and the Nazis were as bad as each other in Charlottesville.

Seems about consistent with Trump's approval rating, yep.

Just now, Rayvin said:

Yeah, it happened overnight - obviously this is a difficult time for me, I'm not quite sure where to go from here. I think I'm supposed to start voting Tory now..?

Hey hey, let's not go overboard.

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

You've skipped denial and went straight to acceptance. Excellent work.

Fwiw you can join my club, being branded a racist by KCG/J69 is actually a compliment. And yeah, the ignore facility on the new board is actually superb. B)

5 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Seems about consistent with Trump's approval rating, yep.

:lol: True. But still, they had 19% don't knows. There's a war for the narrative here and I really don't know which way it'll break. Either way though, what with petitions for Antifa to be branded a terrorist organisation (250,000 sigs in 5 days, it'll now get a response from the White House) we're on the cusp of dialogue being closed down left, right...but not centre.

1 minute ago, Renton said:

You've skipped denial and went straight to acceptance. Excellent work.

Fwiw you can join my club, being branded a racist by KCG/J69 is actually a compliment. And yeah, the ignore facility on the new board is actually superb. B)

:lol: 

Well, there is that. Mind you, there were 40,000 of them out demonstrating in some US city or another over the weekend. You'd think that sort of thing would be noticed.

You mentioned Milo before - I note with interest that he's dropped off the face of the earth now that the press aren't interested in him :D Maybe that's part of the answer?

4 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I want the left to win this. You need an inclusive, economics based social justice agenda to make this work. 

He's a self-hating SJW.

As a self hating Jew, I can sympathise. 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

He's a self-hating SJW.

As a self hating Jew, I can sympathise. 

Are all left wingers SJWs? We probably are to the right, tbf.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never bothered to entertain anything Rebel Media says because they're an online Daily Mail. I wasn't of the opinion that they were advocating for totalitarian, fascist dictatorships based on ethnic purity, but, as with the Mail, it wouldn't actually surprise me that much.

That said, I dunno what you want me to say. I've listened to the guy speak, and I've listened to his arguments. Most of what he talks about - and I mean, like, 80% - has nothing to do with race or gender or anything. It's mostly about combating social anxiety, depression, the problems of the modern world. He's well worth listening to in that regard.

The stuff that is to do with race and gender isn't 'we need to purify America for the white race', it's talking about how white privilege is a destructive concept, etc. In my view, he talks a lot of sense. I'd be more interested in understanding what you think based on what he says, than the idea of damning him by association. What does appear clear, fwiw, is that he's being sucked into this fucking stupid culture war. And as ever, my view remains that the left will lose politically, the longer this goes on. I've noticed the Guardian has started publishing articles saying as much, and encouraging dialogue. I guess they're nazis too now.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

In my view, he talks a lot of sense.

This is the thing that concerns me and I'm conflicted.

On one hand, he makes some good points but on the other, could such an eloquent and compelling speaker ultimately be more damaging than someone like Trump?  He's not some internet nerd sitting in his mother's basement, he has education and stuff.

I'm troubled that he's in bed with Rebel Media because, to be honest, my impression is that they're more between Fox and Alex Jones than they are like the Daily Mail.

As an aside, he's from the same town as my brother who's turned out to be a proper racist.

I wanted to reason with him and made a small effort to do so but ultimately I just cut him off.

I have sympathy for your arguments in this thread wrt appealing to his sort but it did feel kind of pointless trying to get through to him.

Edited by adios
my brother, not peterson ;)

12 minutes ago, adios said:

This is the thing that concerns me and I'm conflicted.

On one hand, he makes some good points but on the other, could such an eloquent and compelling speaker ultimately be more damaging than someone like Trump?  He's not some internet nerd sitting in his mother's basement, he has education and stuff.

I'm troubled that he's in bed with Rebel Media because, to be honest, my impression is that they're more between Fox and Alex Jones than they are like the Daily Mail.

Well there you've hit on my whole concern about the entire political climate. More or less, anyway. The advantage with Trump (and I said this repeatedly in the build up to his election) is that he's far right and incompetent. If they had someone far right and capable, that would be a serious problem.

Peterson isn't going to end up in a similar position though. For one thing he's Canadian, and Canada is one of the most left wing states going. The worst you could say, I think, is that he might be a gateway drug for people who then end up on the far right. And he might well be. But I don't think he's trying to be that, and the only reason that this discussion is happening at all is because of the drive to reduce so much of the political dialogue to racial problems. The left genuinely needs to build a political movement around economic progress, and the longer it fails to do so, the more people will be pushed aside. That's not Peterson's fault - he's just talking about what he believes in. The only reason he's relevant at all is that the left has not made any response to his arguments (that I've seen), and that this therefore becomes a stick to beat us with.

Rebel media are slightly to the right of the mail, according to mediafactbias. I wouldn't worry too much more than you would for the Daily Mail being involved itself.

Having said all of that, I don't really care about his affiliations because I'm not investing anything in the guy on a personal level. I just think his arguments are logical.

Edited by Rayvin

11 minutes ago, adios said:

As an aside, he's from the same town as my brother who's turned out to be a proper racist.

I wanted to reason with him and made a small effort to do so but ultimately I just cut him off.

I have sympathy for your arguments in this thread wrt appealing to his sort but it did feel kind of pointless trying to get through to him.

Interesting. But the thing is, these 'lost people' on the right have put up a siege mentality. A single person trying to reason with them is unlikely to yield any results. You need to genuine, earnest leftwing movement which can reach out and make a solid case for improving their lives, whilst at the same time refusing to abandon minorities in the same economic category. Individual people aren't going to be able to make the change, aside from forcing the left to wake the fuck up.

EDIT - I actually think Bernie Sanders could have done this.

Edited by Rayvin